Hors Série Gose

Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 187 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by LanceH:
LanceH from Canada (ON)

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

May 20, 2016
Max8787 from Canada (QC)

4.01/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Aug 04, 2017
cujocon from Massachusetts

1.91/5  rDev -50.6%

3.8% ABV
11.5 oz brown beer bottle $5.99 at Provisions Northampton MA
Appearance: light amber/dark honey - small head dissipates quickly to thin film, good bit of trub in the bottom
Smell: wow - so unexpected, maybe grapefruit but mild
Flavor: very mild - saltwater
Overall: 2/5 I don't dislike it, but I get no flavor really at all. Nothing special.
To me it tastes like a glass of water with a splash of beer and a tsp of salt. Certainly not worth the $ for me.

Mar 13, 2015
Jerk_Store from Canada (QC)

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aug 10, 2016
StormAles from Canada (ON)

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nov 02, 2017
talbotjf99 from Canada (QC)

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Aug 16, 2015
jhavs from New York

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into fluted snifter tasting glass.

A= Pale with a light yellow haze. Aggressive pour yields a foamy white head that settles to nothing quickly.

S= Brine, wild flowers, hint of citrus rind.

T= Mild salinity, floral, herbal, mild bit of tartness in the finish, all flavors mild.

M=Light body and light carbonation.

O= Mild flavors, very crisp and clean, subtle.

Aug 18, 2015
Exeggutor from New Hampshire

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%

Oct 12, 2016
Natman from Canada (QC)

4.71/5  rDev +21.7%

Ok, I am not the best reviewer cuz I'm not that familiar with all the terminology. So please, let my limited experience speak for itself.
I traveled to Goslar Germany for work in November 2012. While there, I throroughly enjoyed every beer I could but the one which stood out head & shoulders was the Gose. One of the main reasons for this is I had never tried sour beer before and my colleagues only told me: "Ya, try that one, it's special". When I got back home, I made it my mission to look up Gose and I was so disappointed to find that it's rare as hen's teeth.

Since then I have found exactly 5 microbreweries who have tried their hand at a Gose, and most fail miserably compared to what I tasted in Germany. This one is by far the closest and my favorite. Even more interesting is that it's made not far from me. However, being a limited release means it's still hard to locate but they seem to make it about every other year. I absolutely love this stuff and could drink it every day (though other varieties would call to me). I don't know if this kind of "review" helps, but to my taste buds, this is easily 95% of what I had in Goslar. It should be citrusy, but not really identifiable as any in particular (leans toward lemon vs. grapefruit, lime) and there should be no vinegary taste. The salt stays in the background and coriander almost undetectable. I don't know what else to add here except kudos to Trois Mouquetaires -they pretty much nailed it!

Jun 16, 2016
dougbreathe from France

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Apr 09, 2016
JonCorbett from Canada (BC)

4.09/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy deep yellow. Tops up with a generous foam of head; a fast dissipation leaving no real lace or surface foam.

Aromatics: lemony-orange candy that has a bit of cough drop mixed in; tangerine citrus sweet and tart florals at the same time with some nods at the saltiness and just a hint of some spice (coriander-like)

Taste: Lightly salted lemon wedge that has been mixed into a lightly carbonated soda water with fresh wheat that keeps the sourness in check really nicely. Tapers off into a flat and non-descript zingy flavour - closest think I can relate it to would be tangerine rind without the bitter peel flavour in it. And just as quickly as the flavours hit they disappear cleanly without no real aftertaste.

Mouth: Can hold it’s own as a middleweight, carbonation is not really visible but it’s there giving it a great crisp snap with plenty of tongue tingle before it departs. There is a really tangy and tartness that doesn’t quite approach sour, and it has a fairly abrupt finish with not much left to linger on the palate.

Overall: This is my second Gose, I have a couple more in the fridge I plan to get to this week so I can have a good overall view of the style, but this one I liked quite a bit. It is a great drinking beer, I loved the crispness and the light saltiness was well integrated. And I feel with this one the salt character is not the focal point as much as the slight sour tartness is, which makes it that much more enjoyable for me because I love sours, and this one does a really decent job.

Pairing: I think this one has enough tang and carbonation that a nice seafood offering would be a good way to go - seared ahi tuna with a good spice-mix crust on it - a good sea salt or pink salt blended with dried chilis, dill, basil, garlic and onion powder, and a thee corn blended pepper. Or try a nice seafood ravioli (or spaghetti with crab/seafood as your protein) smother in a creamy Italian white sauce - a creamy carbonara or alfredo style sauce would be perfect.

Aug 28, 2016
Samact from Vermont

3.71/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dec 30, 2017
nightgardener from France

2.82/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Feb 12, 2017
Lone_Freighter from Vermont

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

This was poured into a stange. The appearance was a subtle crisp dried looking orange to yellow color with a slight transparency about it. Carbonation could be seen rising to fill a one finger white foamy head that dissipated fairly quickly. There wasn’t any lacing. The smell started off with a big burst of lemon, lime and citrus rind. The taste, pretty much, copied the smell. It had a light tartness about it along with the sourness as well and had a dry sweet citrus to semi-tart aftertaste running into the finish. On the palate, this one sat about a light on the body with a big sessionability about it. Carbonation felt good and low, and got slightly sticky in the feel. Overall, I liked it for me, but don’t necessarily see it as a gose as it was pretty weak on the "salt" flavor.

Jun 16, 2017
Bruno74200 from France

Jun 20, 2019
Phyl21ca from Canada (QC)

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tap: Poured a cloudy beige color ale with a medium size foamy head. Aroma of salt with light tart wheat malt notes Taste is a mix between some salt notes with light tart wheat notes and some light coriander notes. Body is quite full considering the low ABV with good carbonation. Quite refreshing though maybe a tad too salty for my taste buds.

May 27, 2013
TerryW from Canada (ON)

Nov 17, 2014
Sammy from Canada (ON)

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Jul 29, 2013
drpimento from Wisconsin

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very nice, super easy drinking beer. Aroma is to style, but on the mild side. Actually the rest of beer is like that- to style, but understated. And body is a maybe a hair thin. Very good though, still.

Oct 26, 2015

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Jun 13, 2015
janubio from Spain

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Golden colour, small head that fades soon leaving some lace. Aroma of lemon, salt, fruits, hints of coriander. Light body, good carbonation. Taste is sour, lemon salt, fruits. Not for all palates.

Oct 10, 2016
Derek from Canada (BC)

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Jul 03, 2015
psweendogg from Connecticut

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

Feb 20, 2016
bluejacket74 from Ohio

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.5 ounce bottle. Served in a Ritterguts Gose glass, the beer pours a hazy gold color with almost a couple inch white head. Head retention is good, but there isn't much lacing at all. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like salt, wheat/grainy malt, minerals, citrus peel and a bit of coriander. I think the taste is the same as the aroma, but there's a lot of salty, briny minerally character to this brew. It's a more salty/minerally gose. The longer I drink this, the more I'm liking it. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth and easy to drink with a moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this a lot. If you're looking for more salt/mineral flavors in a gose, then you'll like this one. But if you're looking for more tartness, then you probably won't. I know I'd buy this again! $4.75 a bottle.

May 17, 2015