Hors Série Gose | Les Trois Mousquetaires

lestroismousquetaires.ca

Style: Gose

Added by papat444 on 09-04-2012

4.71/5  rDev +24.3%

Ok, I am not the best reviewer cuz I'm not that familiar with all the terminology. So please, let my limited experience speak for itself.
I traveled to Goslar Germany for work in November 2012. While there, I throroughly enjoyed every beer I could but the one which stood out head & shoulders was the Gose. One of the main reasons for this is I had never tried sour beer before and my colleagues only told me: "Ya, try that one, it's special". When I got back home, I made it my mission to look up Gose and I was so disappointed to find that it's rare as hen's teeth.

Since then I have found exactly 5 microbreweries who have tried their hand at a Gose, and most fail miserably compared to what I tasted in Germany. This one is by far the closest and my favorite. Even more interesting is that it's made not far from me. However, being a limited release means it's still hard to locate but they seem to make it about every other year. I absolutely love this stuff and could drink it every day (though other varieties would call to me). I don't know if this kind of "review" helps, but to my taste buds, this is easily 95% of what I had in Goslar. It should be citrusy, but not really identifiable as any in particular (leans toward lemon vs. grapefruit, lime) and there should be no vinegary taste. The salt stays in the background and coriander almost undetectable. I don't know what else to add here except kudos to Trois Mouquetaires -they pretty much nailed it!

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.31/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.26/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

11.5 ounce bottle poured into an oversized snifter.

Pillow-like, sudsy foam forms over a cloudy golden body with robust carbonation. The carbonation adds some elegance. The head persists well, remaining a finger thick longer after pouring. Pretty. 5

From the bottle I notice a peachy, coconut-like aroma, something almost akin to sunscreen (in a good sense). Salt is there when I sniff hard enough and the collective aroma reminds me of a fruitier wine. 4

There must be peach added to this brew because it's all over my taste buds. That and a floral middle before the salty, wheaty lingering finish. Coriander is more noticeable here than on most other goses I've had and I appreciate that. Matter of fact, I appreciate all the flavors here. This just tastes delicious. 4.25

This feels like everything a gose should be: salty, dry, lip-puckering, lightly sweet and spiced. The tartness satisfies and the salt and dryness just compel further sipping. 4.5

I already want more and I've hardly finished my current pour. This beer requires an online order or a CO trip and I'd gladly do both. Excellent.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

one of the better gose beers i have ever had, its so bright and herbal, with notes of green tea, sweet lemon balm, coriander seed, lime leaf, and something more floral even, hibiscus or something. its complex but its clean, minimally tart for the style, just very light and drinkable. the salt here is nice too, gives the beer some body and a nice mineral character. with an abv this low too, its one i can drink plenty of, and for what it is, the price isnt bad at all. i am surprised to look and see i havent had any beers from these guys before, i see their stuff around periodically, but have always been turned off by high prices. this one is really really fair. the flavors here are as bright and summery and herbaceous as i have seen in the style, carbonation is fantastic, and the wheat malt base is very flavorful. exceptional example of the style, a nice little twist of being different in here too. i need to find some more!

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to papat444 for sending this out west for our enjoyment.

A: Rustic in its appearance, pours a cloudy golden wheat with 1 finger of white head that fell away to a thin layer of micro bubbles with scattered lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Bright acidic scents of lemons and ripe pears with background notes of wheat and bread. Hints of pale malts balance out the acidity. Very inviting and fresh.

T: Upfront taste of tartness of underripe fruits and bright lemons. Floral characteristics are present which were not detected on the scent. Finishes with pale malt notes of biscuit and bready yeast which balances the tartness. Very clean, refreshing and exceptionally balanced.

M: Tart dryness mid palate with chaser of creamy malts on the finish offers a freshment without puckering.

O: Sophisticated balance between tart dryness and maltiness. This is extremely refreshing and expertly balanced. I would love it if this was readily available here in BC as I would want to drink this everyday due to its refreshing nature and low ABV. Hopefully we will soon see a BC brewer take on this style as well as more sessionable low ABV varieties.

Thanks again to papat444 for sending it out.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.
Bottled: 2013/05; Poured: 2013/07/30

A: Orangey, straw in color pouring to s short white bubbly head that falls quickly to a thin color. No lacing. Hazy with a touch of sediment which is typical of unfiltered/bottle conditioned brew.

S: A big tart nose with lots of sour notes; some lemon and coriander and maybe a touch grassy.

T: Right from the start you’re hit with the tart sourness (like under-ripe fruit) followed closely by a subtle saltiness. Lots of subtle complexity with lemon and coriander. The finish is long and tart.

M: Light body leaving the palate clean; lots of carbonation making me wonder why the lack of head.

O: Very nice balance of tart sourness and saltiness proving to be an example of the style.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%