Ølfabrikken Porter | Ølfabrikken

Ølfabrikken
Denmark
harboes-bryggeri.dk

Style: Baltic Porter

Brewed with barley malt, roasted barley, hops, brown sugar and water.

Added by bark on 07-29-2006

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Been looking for this one for years. And here we are chilling in my basement getting it on (sorta). Beer is dark brown and looks like a porter. I feel the earth move under my feet, etc. Seriously nice aroma and flavor. Stop! ...in the name of love, this shit is delicious. Danish roasted malt, light chocolates, vanilla, hints if cherry, prominent dark fruits. Silky smooth and wonderfully intriguing. Lovely.

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber from 2009 or so into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. I bought this back when it was on the old Top 100, and am just now getting around to trying it. Oops.

A: Black body with clear reddish-brown highlights underneath an inch of fine tan head. Retention and lacing are pretty good for a vintage beer, but nothing spectacular.

S: Rich and intense, with tons of dark chocolate, coffee, licorice, char, and earthiness. Excellent.

T: Follows the nose, but with greater complexity - bittersweet chocolate malt up front, followed by intense licorice and coffee roastiness. Some pleasant dark fruits show up toward the end, along with a hint of vanilla. Long, lingering baker's chocolate and anise on the finish. Just enough residual sweetness to avoid astringency. Terrific.

M: Excellent body for the style, with a moderate amount of soft, creamy carbonation. Great.

O: Lovely beer. I wouldn't have guessed it was more than a year old, as it's still quite vibrant. Really enjoyable.

Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Fantome tulip. No dating on the bottle. Picked up in 2010.

Pours an opaque black with a one-finger head. Great lacing along the sides of the glass. Aromas are rather complex. I would compare it to a smoked chocolate covered coffee bean (if they existed) in with a mixture of dark fruits and pecans. Licorice, faded coffee, and chocolate highlight the taste. This has been cellaring for a few years I think this would have been better sooner rather than later. Full bodied, a nice heavy porter with a creamy mouthful. Overall a good baltic porter. Glad I had a chance to try it (I notice it has been retired). I wish I would have drank it when I picked it up, because I don't think it benefited from the age.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

500ml Bottle
$6.99
West Lakeview

Olfabrikken makes one stout porter. After glugging from the bottle to a snifter this beer appears black with no hint of light shining through. The head was a little hard to bring alive but a more aggressive pour brought about a half finger brown head with a hint of purple. The head that did form leaves some great lacing on after each drink.

The nose on this beer is without a doubt good but could stand to be a little more robust. Mil chocolate and dark berries encompass a core of moderate roasted maltiness. There's even a touch of chocolate wafting around in there somewhere. This looks very appetizing.

This beer walks the line between a Baltic porter and a big stout. There's a lot more freshly roasted coffee than I expected and I'm definitely glad it's there. The coffee adds a complexity I don't usually come across in porters and is better of because of it. The coffee just compliments the roastiness and again, like the aroma, chocolate and faint dark berries mingle in the background. This is an exceptional Baltic Porter. One of the best I've come across.

As this beer hits the tongue there's a surprising zestiness from the carbonation that quickly smoothes out becoming more full and rounded. There is a substantial feel midway through until the swallow. Not crazy about the liveliness upfront but it quickly smoothes out to become more than appropriate.

We got 10-12" of snow this morning and this just seems like an appropriate beer for an evening like tonight. Of course I'm sure this would be just as easy to sip any other night.

Olfabrikken makes an exceptional Baltic Porter. This is by far my favorite beer from the new Scandinavian revolution hitting American shores. Big flavors and good drinkability make for a world class beer.

Reviewed: 2/2/08

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

660mL bottle into a snifter
no bottle dating

This is my 400th BA review, and #93 of the top 100 (based off the top 100 list at the time I started the quest, a little over 2 years ago. Yes, Olfabrikken Porter used to be a top 100 beer!). A huge thanks to coreyfmcdonald for sending this one over via trade. Once I found out this was no longer being brewed, there was a time when I thought I would never get to try this one and thus never finish the top 100 I set out to complete. Thanks again man.

A: Pours an absolutely jet black, without any browning on the edges even when held to light. 1 fingers width of bubbly mocha colored head dissipates down quickly. Leaves a few small patches of lacing.

S: Sweet chocolate fudge, roasted malt, vanilla, oak, dark fruits that are vinous and almost tart at times, some boozy notes. It smells like it was aged in a barrel, but I know it was not. An almost perfect nose for a baltic porter. Incredible.

T: Roasted malt, herbaceous/grassy notes, bakers chocolate, oak. Its mostly roasty and herbacous up front, with the sweet flavors coming out on the finish. I also get heavy cream, bitter black coffee, subtle dark fruits like date and fig. Flavors linger forever in the aftertaste. Excellent

M/D: Silky smooth, full bodied, not quite thick, but somewhat chewy. ABV is kept in check, and drinkability is good.

O: This is everything I look for in a Baltic Porter. Its a damn shame this has been retired, and I likely will never get to enjoy it again. This is the epitome of the style for me. Exceptional

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

1639th Review on BA
Bottle to 20oz Nonic
22oz

Thanks to Ehammond1 for this bottle.

App- This was a deep dark brown. Like a bit of chocolate mixed with that brown crayon from a crayola box. It was a bit of a dense center with some ruby edges and sat in the glass with a rich looking app. The head was a good 2 fingers and slightly pulled apart with some good cling. A very good looking porter.

Smell- This was a nice and full aromatic porter. It started off a bit smoky with a little bit of candied chocolate sweetness and the once it got a little above 60 it became much more smooth on the nose. No booze, no grainy porter notes, just a bit more chocolate and malt. Like a beer milkshake.

Taste- A really great Porter. This opened a bit small at 1st with a bit of the flavors seemingly playing on their own. A little chocolate, a little smokey and a touch malty. Once it warmed a little passed the 60 mark it transformed into pure bliss to where I couldnt put the glass down. It was gone before I knew it. Silky smooth at points and blended well when a bit more of the chocolate come out. No trace of a normal porter hop bite either.

Mouth- Sublimely smooth and medium body. A great body on this one, with silky chocolates malts making it like a beer milk. A good carbonation level with a touch of prickly behind but more of a medium body.

Drink- I am really sad I only had 1 bottle of this one. The beer is drinking fantastic lately and cant thank E enough for this beer. Would love more! Could see why it was a Top 100 for a while.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first beer review ever, so ill do my best-

Serving- Poured from a 650 ml bottle marked "minst holdbar til 2007 09" into a 22oz wheat beer glass.

Appearance- Beer pours out almost syrupy and nearly black, with 1 finger of light brown head, that dissipates after a minute or two, completely disapearing 3/4 of the way through,leaving no lacing. No light shows through this beer whatsoever. Looks like used motor oil. I like used motor oil!

Aroma- Smells of roasted malts, Carmel, delicious coffee,brown sugar
and a hint of smoked meats.

Taste- This one starts off bitter, and dark fruits in the middle, but not sweet. like dates, but without sugar. It ends almost like a port wine. Slightly sweeter than the beginning, but still not "sweet". I guess it's literally bittersweet. Can slightly detect the alcohol

Mouth- Medium-heavy to heavy body, nice and thick. Perfect carbonation. Coats well, makes me want a steak.

Overall- This beer is no longer produced, and I think it is a real shame. I was lucky to spot it sitting on the shelf at my local neighborhood liqourstore. This is a very good Baltic porter, I wish I could compare it to a fresh one, but I guess that will never happen. If I ever see this again, I will most definately buy it.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to Chris (raveskdr) for sharing this rarity that's been on my wants for a long time.

The beer pours a great very dark brown with very little head and no lacing whatsoever even with a swirl, has a very viscous look.

The smell is very well balanced, no flavors really stand out its all quite compact and delicious smelling. Like a really decadent dessert with great sweet chocolatey notes and succulent malt, almost likes milkshake. Dark fruits add in, giving it the Baltic porter character that disguises some of the roast. Very nice aroma.

The taste is very similar, and again has a very compact and smooth palate to the flavor, very refined and tight. Nice dark fruits, a little soy sauce (without being salty), slight roast, a lot less sweetness than the aroma though so it is not at all cloying but I do wish it was a little sweeter it would balance out the mid palate very nicely and propel the other flavors.

The palate is good, not as viscous as hoped almost bordering on watery but very smooth and no burn or heat from alcohol at all, a,so very little carbonation.

A very nice beer, a star in the Baltic porter style!

Ølfabrikken Porter from Ølfabrikken