Thunderbolt | Pumphouse Bar

Added by heygeebee on 11-18-2011

3.3

Reviews by laituegonflable:
2.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I believe this beer is actually brewed at the St Peters brewery for the Pumphouse, or at least was when I reviewed it.

Pours a burnished copper colour, with thin film of off-white bubbles and nice lace. Stream of light bubbles. Not bad, a bit cloudy.

Smells sweet, with sweet caramel grain, plain and sweet and subdued. Maybe a touch of diacetyl. Bit meh.

Taste is similar, very sweet and simple with butterscotch and caramel notes. Some strong boozey heat at the back, but mostly just underattenuated caramel notes with residual sugar permeating everything. Not particularly to my taste, just very sweet on the front and just bitterly boozey at the back.

Thin, lacking body. Yeah just feels and tastes a bit underattenuated I think.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

From notes

Pours amber with a one finger head.

Aromas of some caramel, toffee.

Taste is wonderfully balanced, seriously hides the alcohol, and malt driven.

Mouthfeel medium bodied.

Overall a great beer, and one I could drink all night. Great stuff, and under-represented in the 2011 Sydney scene. Did I mention well balanced and drinkable?

Thunderbolt from Pumphouse Bar