Crime Of Passion

Poor
Notes:
Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 47 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Marius from Netherlands

Bottle shared thanks to Maakun. Hazy copper-orange pour with no head. Notes of vinegar, varnish, macerated fruit. The taste is extremely sour, chemically so, burning the insides.

Nov 19, 2016
GreesyFizeek from New York

1.21/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Bottle shared by Curran, out of complete morbid curiosity. Shame on you Bullfrog- for releasing this.

This pours a murky reddish-brown-ish color, almost like weird Coca-Cola. It looks essentially still.

This smells like an acetone nightmare- nail polish remover, stinging fetid vinegar, and maybe, just maybe, underneath all of that- some fruitiness. I also get some paint thinner, and possibly actual paint. Don't try to look for the fruit, though- because that means you'll have to smell this beer for longer than two seconds. Not recommended.

I can't honestly imagine why Bullfrog thought it was a good idea for their reputation and the public's health to release this one. It it just horrid going down, I drank maybe 4 sips so I could get enough for a review, but it was a painful process. It burned going down, and had just the worst stale burning vinegar taste, along with nail polish remover (or at least, what I imagine that tastes like- I've never personally ingested nail polish remover- at least knowingly), and just a wash of acetone everywhere. It's way too sour, way too lactic, and just has a chemical-ridden feel to it that I can't get behind. If I hold my nose, and stare deep into the abyss, I can get a little bit of fruitiness that I guess must be the kiwiberries.

This is very lightly carbonated, which makes it weird that the carbonation is still so prickly and metallic. Ugh.

This is up there with the worst beers I've ever had. It's one of the only beers I've had that actually was painful to drink. It hurt going down. Do not drink this beer. Just don't.

Jan 11, 2016
SpeedwayJim from New York

2.63/5  rDev +10%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml corked and caged bottle (239/408) into Night Shift stemware. Shared with schen9303.

Pours nearly flat. Color is a clear bright bronze. No head, no lace. A bit poor.

Nose is of acetone and vinegar with hints of peach and yeast. Spritzy and a touch tart but a lot of it is covered by the alcohol.

Opens soy sauce, vinegar, acetone and oak. Hints of peach, more vinegar and a boozy, alcohol, acetone kick in the middle. Juicy and sweet towards the end with some yeastiness and a ton of diacytal. You can tell this isn't quite ready... as is, its not terrible though.

Light to medium bodied with little to no carbonation. Oily and slick in the mouth with a lot of alcohol heat and kick going down. Messy finish with a filmy, lingeirng aftertaste. Too flat and oily.

This beer gets a really bad rap for no reason I think... people want to hate for the sake of hating. Is it ready? Of course not. There's tons of diacytal and acetone on the palate and the carbonation is not there. That being said, the flavor profile is not bad and I can see where the brewer is trying to go with this. Not good, but not nearly as bad as people say it is.

Aug 30, 2015
Lucular from Maryland

3.1/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Smelled like shoe polish but the taste was pretty decent as long as you like sour. A little fruity from whatever passion popper kiwiberries are. At any rate, if you have a bottle, you don't have to be afraid to drink it (despite what others have said!).

Jun 28, 2015
Fahmie25 from New York

1.35/5  rDev -43.5%

this beer lives up to the ratings so far. it is very, very bad. it tastes like regret and broken dreams. I do love the other grrrz beers but this one was just a total miss for me (though not technically part of the grrz series obviously)

Jun 25, 2015
Alieniloquium from Florida

1.38/5  rDev -42.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a wine glass. Slightly hazy. Orange body. No head. Vinegar aroma. Strong vinegar. Yikes. Taste has just a little bit of fruit before vinegar takes over. Finishes with some acetone. Low carbonation. Extremely sour. Really difficult to drink. I couldn’t even finish my portion of the bottle.

Jun 23, 2015
markgugs from New Jersey

1.88/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

I hate to say it but this really was as bad as you've heard. Oddly enough the nose was much, much better than the taste. It was very hard to finish my 3oz pour. Acetone & vomit.

Jun 22, 2015
mltobin from Connecticut

1.73/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I was hoping that some of the less than stellar reviews were folks being dramatic. But, this beer really does taste like something that is not meant for consumption. For those sitting on bottles, I would highly advise sharing it with a large group. The nose was fairly unpleasant and the paint thinner taste was even worse.

Jun 21, 2015
BARFLYB from Pennsylvania

1.08/5  rDev -54.8%

I've had a lot of good beer and a lot of bad beer. Crime Of Passion is probably the worst beer that i have ever had. It smells like diapers, old Indian food and regret. It tastes like nail polish, water from Chernobyl, rusty nails and rigor mortis. Getting this down the hatch was difficult as i almost threw up, so i had to pinch my nose so i would not smell this death trap while drinking it. COP ended up in the dirt, and i feel sorry for that dirt, but i had to do what I had to do. This beer should have not been sold to the public. I heard descriptions ranging from mothballs, ranch dressing, nail salon and probably the most fitting just downright awful. Avoid at all costs, don't trade for this beer, if you get it as a extra, extra it back to somebody else with a 'drink at your own risk' sticker on it. Chances are if you extra this beer out to somebody it will probably return in another box later down the line. This beer should of been named ' A crime from Terry'.

May 24, 2015
ShanePB from Pennsylvania

1.18/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Tasted a bit of nail polish-like notes and my bottle was flat, too. I finished my glass but that's because I spent way too much time in line to dump it. Was not horrible but certainly unpleasant.

Edit: Had second bottle, more terrible than the first. Sorry Bullfrog this was just bad.

May 16, 2015
Slatetank from Pennsylvania

4.13/5  rDev +72.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

(Edit)original rating -4.56
A 4.25 S 3.75 T-4.25 F-4.5 O-4.25
I tried this on tap at Hunger N Thirst during the Bullfrog Grrrz event they hosted. I may have rated this highly based on order I tasted it in or just pure excitement after having tried the Aardbei, but for whatever reason I considered this excellent -1 based on how little the alcohol is apparent for a 10% wild ale. 2 I don't think the offending 'off flavor' was as apparent (at least not to my palate)as others mentioned. I consider this a unique wild as most have their own personality or flavor profile and having had kiwi-berries before I found the beer to utilize them well.

Sep 25, 2014