Mexicali | Cerveceria Mexicana S.A. De C.V.

MexicaliMexicali
2.55/5
MexicaliMexicali

Cerveceria Mexicana S.A. De C.V.
Mexico
mexicalibeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2003

Mexicali pours light pale yellowish and has little head. It has a skunky taste and smell, but still goes down somewhat smooth. It comes in a clear bottle, which could explain the degraded taste. This is not the best beer from Mexico and is somewhat rare to find in the Midwestern portion of the United States, I procured a six pack at Binny's Beverage Depot in Chicago.

Sampling right now on 1/29/15. Comes in a 330ml (11.2 ounce) bottle. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Falstaff' thumb-print goblet.

Brew pours a hazy straw-yellow in color with no cap and no lacing to speak of. The aroma is of grains and sweet corn. The taste is well...gross! :P Taste like dirty water and this sweet stinky flavor with a bad aftertaste which I have no idea of what it is. Horrible! Lighter-bodied with above average carbonation. It's a drain poor after about 5 sips. You seen it here.. have to go with a "1" and that is for the bottle. Worst rating of my 523 beer reviews on here. Never again!

1.28/5  rDev -49.8%

Typical yellow garbage appearance, head was average, retention was above average. Sweet can o corn skunky (not in the good way) aroma.

Taste was downright revolting. Water makes for a better beer, and while this has plenty of it, I'm not really sure this stuff is potable water. Montazuma's revenge stuff. A bitterness that doesn't seem derived from hops, but not just because there is no hop mouthfeel. This bitterness is just rank. There's metallic, and then there's rusty metallic, and that's what this is.

Probably worse than Corona. Needs lots of lime and to be super cold to even make me think of getting close to this again.

1.3/5  rDev -49%

This is a landmark beer for me, as it is the first beer I ever poured down the sink. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something, but to me i literally tasted a metal aftertaste, this is the worst beer I have tasted yet, it makes bud light seem good. I recommend this beer to no one.

1.45/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Another crappy yellow beer in a clear glass bottle. Bad corn skunk aroma.

Taste was brutal. Water all around. Bitter dank not from the hops. Metallic earthiness. Worse than most Mexican beer, brutal comparison. Drink this super cold if you must.

1.5/5  rDev -41.2%

1.67/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Terrible. Just terrible. Yes it's terrible

1.75/5  rDev -31.4%

1.75/5  rDev -31.4%

I liked this beer alot when it first became available in Austin. Yay, a cheap Mexican beer that is actually a little better than Corona! I drank it now and then for about a month. I'm not sure if its just because it is decaying due to non freshness or the old adage about familiarity breeding contempt, but this stuff tastes pretty terrible to me now. Tons of lime and salt or in a michelada and its drinkable, but its barf city on its own.

1.96/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a clear pale yellowish straw colour. A thick, airy white head sits there for a bit, then dissipates to eventually nothing. Surprisingly, there is some lacing. The smell is bad. An overpowering skunk smell hits the nose, even worse than some other Mexican lagers. The taste has a sweetness at the front end but otherwise is dominated by adjunct flavours like corn husk and grain. The mouthfeel is light bodied.

Overall, this is not a good Mexican lager. I cannot understand why this beers are brewed in clear bottles. The skunk smell is overwhelming in this case.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A horrible smelling brew whose flavor unfortunately matches the aroma. The look is a crystal clear light golden watery color. This was the best part of my experience. I wil not drink this again.

Out of a 12oz silkscreend clear glass bottle. The pour looks like water as it fills the glass , a faint straw colored liquid with an inch of pure white head. No carbonation bubbles whatsoever, the head diminishes leaving a mear trace of lacing.

First wiff is a bit skunk like, another sniff or two reveals a not very pleasant urine odor. I don't mean to be rude or bash this brew...I just call em as I see em, so to speak. I'm truly hesitant to even taste it, just doesn't smell right.

OK, after two spicy pieces of pepperoni pizza, here goes nuthin...umm...yuk! As a light flavor of a Dunkel appears, it's followed by a nice aftertaste of piss. I'm quite serious. In my 48yrs. on this planet, I can't remember ever NOT being able to finish ANY beer. After two tastes of this stuff, it's going down the drain. I've had Mexicali before(years ago) and I don't remember it like this. Truly sorry...end of review

I'm reaching for a Bigfoot to get this horrible taste out of my mouth!!!

2.05/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

An AAL marks a return to it roots for The CANQuest (tm). During its inception, most CANned beers were AALs, hence some of the ridicule about the notion of drinking & reviewing beer from CANs. It actually got me to really think about the beers & what I liked & disliked about them. Here goes!

From the CAN: "Beer, Biere, Cerveza, Birra, Bier"; "Formula Original"; "Pilsner Superior".

I Crack!ed the CAN open and began a Glug into my waiting Pilsner glass. Boy howdy, but the foaming action of the head came up really quickly & I had to stop my pour lest I get overflow. This settled into three fingers of dense, foamy, bone-white head with great retention. Color was Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 -2) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was so reminiscent of the early days that it hurt. Literally. It hurt my nostrils to smell cooked cabbage, wet cardboard & corn. Ugh. No wonder it was such a pleasure to find early micro CANs! Mouthfeel was thin to medium. It was not watery, but nor was it much beyond that. The taste was not so much bland as unpleasant. There was no question that corn was the main adjunct here, but there were plenty of other off flavors to go around. It really had that vegetal flavor of DMS first and foremost, but the cardboard flavor seemed to come from the malts. I guess that it says something about my evolving palate in that this was really unpleasant. Finish was semi-dry, thanks to a sweetish flavor that detracted even further from its being a Pilsner and certainly not a Superior one. It was not as bad as a Minhas CANcoction, but it was no treat in any way, shape or form. Phew!

2.09/5  rDev -18%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

330ml bottle from Lupe Pinto (Glasgow, approx £1.50):
Very clear looking and light straw in colour with a thin lacing of bubbles on top.

Sweet smelling with a sigary water aroma and some bland malts. There is a light hint of butter and some faint, grassy hops. This one is a very basic smelling lager with a mixture of various adjuncts and a light, skunky aroma.

Basic lager taste with some cheap malts and a grassy hop sweetness followed by some grain and faint sugar. There was a few lager adjuncts and it was rounded off with a light bitterness.

Thin & light body with a citrus tang and a slightly grainy feel. There was a dry and mild bitter finish that hinted at sweetness.

A basic and fairly cheap taste that was bland and too thin. A very basic, macro pale lager with not a lot going for it and one to avoid should you come across it.

2.11/5  rDev -17.3%

Ultra clear yellow colored beer with a momentary white head.

Despite the clear bottle, no skunk here. This is sweet and malty with a bit of cooked vegetable scent to it. A little lemon hop scent and a bigger corn scent.

Taste starts out neutral with a little bit of seltzer water flavor. Corn and a lemon hop flavor not very bitter or highly hopped.

Mouthfeel is OK.

What can you say about this one, pretty much just beer. Better than Corona I suppose.

2.11/5  rDev -17.3%

Better than Corona, but that isn't saying much. Very bland on the malt profile. Its a clear yellow color with foamy head that melts fast and leaves zero lace. Another skunk beer. Its got some lemony edge, and sour citrus notes, but a musty skunk overtakes it all. It has some light biscuit, toast, corn, and an overall watery presence. Its bland and boring with skunk sprayed all over it. Drain pour indeed.

2.12/5  rDev -16.9%

Malty Corona- Need I say more? I think there is very little difference between this and Corona. Corona tastes flat, skunky, and watery. In other words, it is poorly made. If there was no other beer at a party but this, I would be the designated driver.

2.13/5  rDev -16.5%

12 oz. bottle, best before 9-26-08. Very light golden color. Thin white head disappeared very quickly. Not very impressive.

Pale malt, a hint of sulphur and skunky aroma. No shocker, coming from a clear bottle.

Very pale malt character, with some sweetness. A bit of a corn-like flavor. Not much bitterness at all. A slight skunky feel to the whole thing.

Very light body, not much going on here at all.

2.18/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz clear bottle with a twist cap.
Born on date stamped on the neck ala Bud.

Pretty nondescript aroma. A little malty a little corn.

Flavor is slightly sweet with a mild bitter bite.

It was not as bad as I thought it would be. Drinkable lawnmower beer.

2.25/5  rDev -11.8%

Mexicali from Cerveceria Mexicana S.A. De C.V.