Old Stock Ale | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Stock AleOld Stock Ale

4.1

Ratings: 3,224 |  Reviews: 1,512
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

2009 bottle poured into a snifter

A: Pours a fairly light looking dark brown color with little head. Looks quite drinkable.

S: I can smell some bourbon like alcohol (even though this isn't bourbon barrel aged) and some dark fruits, along with some scents I honestly can't identify.

T: Tastes pretty peculiar, not bad, I just have not had any beers like this. There is definitely some alcohol, but in a pleasant way. It tastes a little woody and it takes on some taste qualities I have found in quads. Definitely some dar fruits, such as plums.

M: Very smooth and drinkable. A definite plus.

O: A first for me. This is a style that I am not familiar with, but nevertheless, I found this brew enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle thanks to Rempo! Totally unsolicited kindness!

A- Pours a very dark brown with very little head that falls back to a tiny ring around the top of the brew

S- Pretty sweet with a surprising bitter hop (maybe alcohol?) scent to it. Nothing to write home about but not gross either

T- This is like nothing I've ever had before. It's insanely complex to the point I don't know what to think. So many flavors going on at once.. I will say it's extremely well balanced. You truly must try this for yourself to understand. I recommend it

M- Super duper smooth, finishes a little too quickly for me but nearly perfect

O- Big ups to Rempo for the hook up. I want to try this fresh but I don't want to be disappointed if it's not as good as this

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not as good as I hoped for especially for the price. I have a bottle of the special 2009 Cellar Reserve that I paid a pretty penny for so hopefully that is better...

It looked and smelled like an average bock to me. At first that is what it tasted like as well but with a harsh alcohol burn added in. It was lacking the warming, subtle alcohol hotness that I hope for from a beer like this. As it warmed a little bit though I got some sweetness specifically of fruit so that was decent.

I will give this beer another shot because I can't believe it isn't better than what I am rating it right now.

EDIT: My apologies to this beer as it has gotten so much better with age. I drank a bottle of '12 at the end of March '13 and this thing has morphed into a sweet, boozy barleywine. I have always raised my ratings of a beer that ages well so I will follow suit with this one. Also, after thinking I would never buy this one again, I may have to buy some '13 to start a vertical.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage

A. Pours a dark, vibrant copper color. About a quarter finger of cream colored white head. Spotty but tight beads of lacing on the glass.

S. Ripe dark fruit, caramel, brown sugar, freshly flaked bread crust, maple syrup, raisin, graham cracker, apple skin.

T. Brown sugar, molasses, dark cherry, raisin, caramel, vanilla, bread crust, and dark jam. A little bit of alcohol burn on the back end, but this follows the nose so closely and provides so much complexity that I don't mind in the least. For 11.5%, this drinks very nicely.

M. Carbonation and alcohol burn are both just a touch high, but the flavors have excellent balance.

O. This is an excellent Old Ale, with an excellent complexity and shockingly well-hidden 11.5% ABV. Definitely a sipper, but those who let this one warm and enjoy it over time will be well-rewarded with an ever-evolving flavor profile. Truly an enjoyable experience, a great after supper treat.

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

This is the 2012 bottle and pours a nice mahogany hue which leaves a creamy two finger head and a little lacing,the smell is boozy alcohol,treacle,toffee,prunes and sweet malts,the mouthfeel is just under full bodied with nice carbonation for an Old Ale and has tastes of cherries soaked in brandy,toffee treacle,marzipan,candied figs,butterscotch and finished with a touch of boozy fruit cake and overall its a nice warmer for a cold winters day like today and would age well cheers.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

2009 bottle

A - Dark ruby/brown. Finger of head that dissipates pretty quickly. No real lacing to speak of. Very hazy.

S - Very sweet. Caramel, dark fruits. It's a very nice smelling beer for being this sweet and seemingly one-note.

T - Follows up the nose nicely. Nice and sweet, with a mellow alcohol kick to balance it out and keep it from becoming too thick.

M - Light alcohol presence, not bad for 11.5%. On the thicker side, but that was to be expected.

O - I really enjoy this beer. 3 years has done it well. I've never had it fresh, but I certainly can't complain with this vintage.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.15/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured into sweetwater glass.

Pours a clear amber color. Nice head that falls real quick. Smells very malty, and sweet.
Very sweet upfront, hanging in there throughout with a bit of a boozy kick on the finish. Medium body, with a boozy after taste. This seems like it is way to sweet and boozy without enough hop balance. To much alcohol taste to it. This isn't terrible, but not worth the price unless your looking for something on the boozy end.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Old Stock Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.