Brother Thelonious | North Coast Brewing Co.

Read the review

Bitterness: 32 IBU's"

Added by sloejams on 05-04-2006

Ratings: 3,011 |  Reviews: 1,056

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.24/5  rDev -67.3%

If you want to drink liquid copper; be my guest. The only thing Belgian Style about this beer may be the yeast......it's garbage!

1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

A - Dark walnut brown, moderate head that doesn't lace real well and has zero retention. Dull looking, though.

S - Almost nothing here, some grape, cherry, raisin, and other dark fruits. Little maltiness to speak of on the nose. Kinda just smells like rum. And vinegar.

T - Ew. Dark fruits that taste molded. No hops to be spoken of and nothing but nasty white sugar. Wow. I didn't expect this beer to be the disaster that it is.

M - Terrible mouthfeel. Light to medium bodied. Tastes like a skunked beer that's thinned out from a decade of sitting there. I feel like I should stir this shit every time I take a sip because it's so out of whack. The flavors are entirely disparate and not together. The alcohol comes through entirely, and the only thing I can taste on the swallow is vinegar and it stays there.

D - Atrocious beer. Worse than anything I've ever tried. This is a pathetic attempt at the style and a pathetic attempt at a beer. This should be used as a salad dressing or something. I've grown to know and love beer, and this beer is a disaster at its fullest. Worst I've tried to date in a list that includes "Cave Creek Chili Beer" - whatever that is. Don't ever buy this beer - this is awful and I feel insulted that a respected brewery would put this out on the market.

PS: I should note that Ruedrich's Red Seal amber ale is one of the three beers I've ever rated as 5 stars - right next to Pliny The Elder - so it's not like this brewery can't do better than this crap. This is fucking terrible and they should be ashamed of themselves for thinking they can swindle people into buying this just because they price it at 11 dollars a four pack and think they can convince people it's good via the price they set. Pathetic.

PSS: Fuck - I can't believe I have to finish this. Picture the worst wine you've ever drank and imagine drinking a 3 liter bottle in one sitting.

This is embarrassing for this brewery - I can't believe they put this crap out on the market. They should be ashamed of themselves. I don't care if I never taste Ruedrich's Red Seal ever again - this brewery deserves not a cent of my money for putting this beer out. They will never get a cent of my money again. This beer is shameful. I don't support the idea of good breweries putting out shit beers and thinking they can make money off of them just because they have a good reputation and because THEY THINK THEY CAN FOOL PEOPLE BY CHARGING AN INORDINATE AMOUNT FOR IT. Beer drinkers are not fools, North Coast - I'm sorry. I will have no part of giving you another cent. What a joke.

1.63/5  rDev -57%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.93/5  rDev -49.1%

Beer appears a dark brown color, thin light brown foam. It doesn't look much different from coke.

The smell is very sweet there is a strong overtone of prunes dates and a noticeable metallic smell.

The taste is overly sweet: there are tones of dark fruit like raisons and prunes but it's as if they were coated in a crazy amount of sugar. Kind of tastes like a fermented dr. pepper. There is also a very unpleasant metallic taste to the beer. The high carbonation makes the rough on my palate: it is not smooth. If you like Dubbels to have a huge amount of sweetness with no balance and if you like your beer to have the carbonation of soda you might like this. For me though, it was a drain pour.

1.99/5  rDev -47.5%

I had this beer probably five years ago when I first saw it. Wasn't impressed, but I figured it was worth another try at least so I can put the awesome Monk bottle next to the DFH Bitches Brew bottle I have. Anyway, on to the beer...
Actually, one interesting side note - I've opened probably hundred's of thousands of corked bottles (6 years of bartending, several beer bars) and this was the hardest bottle to open.
OK, now on to the beer. Dark brown color, odd colored brownish head, dissipates quickly. Man, the nose on this is quite funky, not in a good way. Definite whiff of soy sauce, not a good sign, and cardboard. Unfortunate. It really is an alright tasting beer, but if I catch that whiff before a sip it kind of ruins the whole thing for me. Sticky mouthfeel... Too bad - I really wanted to like this beer. I am a jazz musician myself and Thelonious Monk is one of my idols. Too bad the beer does not represent. Awesome label, great brewery (otherwise), yet a terrible beer. It's ok, it was worth the $9 to have the bottle on my shelf.

Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing Co.