Brother Thelonious | North Coast Brewing Co.

Read the review

Ratings: 3,029 |  Reviews: 1,059

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

Golden brown while pouring. About two finger thick excellent head of tan color mainly due to vigorous pouring. Stays really well and for a long time. Persistent. Color inside the glass is almost ruby copper. A lot of red hues. Very clear. A lot of bubbles seen rising up. Decent Belgian laces on the side.

Aroma is only somewhat reminiscent of Belgian yeast and dry fruits. A fruity and malty smell. Some warmth. May be some minor hops. Strength is moderate. A good amount of esters and slight alcohol tinge.

Flavor is a lot more wheat beer or doppelbock like. Strong malts. Fruity. A good amount of alcohol warmth. Finish is semi dry.

Mouth feel is medium to slightly tilting towards full bodied. Slightly high on carbonation and fizzy effervescence. Tingling sensation. Warm and strong.

2.5/5  rDev -34%

3.21/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a wine glass

A:dark brown with red hues a nice off white head that turns into a nice laceing that sticks around for a wile

S:a big wiff a soy sauce,vinager whaet and dry dark fruits

T:soy sauce right off the back and vinager with some dark fruits a little sweetness nice taste can't taste the alch... to much

M:mouthfill leaves a nice wet fealing not dry at all good after taste verry nice

Overall: a verry nice beer not like the real belgium version but its not bad just a real big soy soy sauce taste verry salty but it blends with the malts verry nicely I will drink this one again

Live life drink beer!!!:-)

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Pours a deep copper/amber/mahogany color…some very light khaki colored head formed and settled to a thin layer…with a couple swirls, it livens up nicely leaving touches of foam along the glass…a nice looking brew…(4/5)

Smell: Very aromatic, I could smell the sweetness as soon as I started pouring…when I stick my nose in there, (no surprise) I’m getting tons of dark cherry/strawberry candy sweetness, raisin, fig, bready malts, caramelized sugar/brown sugar, a touch of earthiness, mild citrus hops and a dash of alcohol heat…there’s also some noticeable yeast funk…it’s a bit mouth watering I have to say…(4.5/5)

Taste: Yum, very much a traditional abbey ale…there’s flavors of dark fruit (figs and raisin) sweetness, dark cherry candy, clove, banana, earthiness, caramel…it’s very malt driven…there’s definitely a touch of yeast funky/mustiness…this is approaching a brandy flavor…(4/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation…this thing fluffs up nicely bringing sweet/dark fruit sweetness and caramel sugar flavor all over the palate…wet, mildly chewy, smooth and sweet…with a tinge of alcohol, this is very much a sipper ale…(4.25/5)

Overall: This is one of my favorite brews...I don’t normally fall in love with Belgian style beers, but this one is an exception…the sweet, caramel malts combined with spice and yeast bring a very drinkable brew that should be sipped on and appreciated…with it’s higher ABV (and fantastic taste) it’s not a beer to be filling up the beer pong cups with, this should be enjoyed in a circle of friends or by a fire with a loved one…if I had four of these, I could drink four of them, but as it is, I will enjoy just this one…I will definitely be getting this again for future pleasure…yum! (4/5)

4.24/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have had this beer many times, the first time being back in 2005 or 2006, when it was first released. Back then it came only in 750 ml., and it was rare to see it on tap. Flash forward 6 or 7 years, and my how times have changed. The beer is regularly available on tap even on the East Coast, and frankly, I've been less than impressed by what I've had on tap out there. Nevertheless, when I saw a 12 ounce bottle version here in Sonoma, I figured it was time to visit an old friend.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is pretty impressive as well, as I pick up brown sugar, milk chocolate, vanilla and light rootbeer. In all honesty, this beer smells better than I recall or what I was expecting. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this fairly sweet beer, and frankly I'm surprised (and impressed) by the amount of flavor and underlying spice I'm getting in this beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, and the finish is long, sweet and spice infused. The alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile, and frankly, this beer is pretty terrific. Sure, it's hard to imagine drinking a lot of this, but I'm still pretty impressed with the domestic version of this beer, in style I generally don't care for.

Easily one of the best domestic versions of this style that I can recall having. This is light years better than the original version I can recall having back in 2005 or 2006 (and oh so much better than the crappy draft versions I've seen here on the East Coast). Very, very impressive....

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing Co.