Brother Thelonious | North Coast Brewing Co.

Brother TheloniousBrother Thelonious

Added by sloejams on 05-04-2006

Ratings: 3,051 |  Reviews: 1,066
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured chilled in tall tulip water glass.

A: caramel color, robust carbonation, 2-finger head that dissipates quickly
S: brooding caramel, yeast, malt, smells toasted
t: dark Belgian--like an imperial dark bock. Heavy ABV comes through; semisweet; bitter bottle conditioning; medium hopped

Super!

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

2.72/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured this beer out of a bottle into a chimay glass and the result was a head that disappeared very fast. The smell was of dark fruits and maybe a little olive brine. The taste was sour, of brine, liquor, and bitter hops. The mouth feel is good, silky with good carbonation. This beer had no lacing to be seen. The color is mahogany as stated above in its beer advocate description. I was very disappointed in this brew its not worth the price i paid.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

2.19/5  rDev -42.4%

This is a surprise. I remember this as being rich and a little sweet, but this batch seems to be rather thin and definitely on the acidic side. Looks well enough, more red than coppery in the Duvel tulip. Nice head but coarse bubbles. The nose is a little vinegary.

Sharp and hints of some kind of bacteria like a Grand Cru, only much drier. Where did all the sugar go? Tart, rather bitter, quite earthy. Body is thin. Flavor makes me think of shellac. Aftertaste is very bitter and dirty.

From the 12 oz bottle from the cooler at Olive Tree in OB. I'll give this a taste if I see it on tap, but I'm leery of the bottles now. It was quite tasty in the big bottles but it has been three or four years since I've tried it.

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%

I'm a little new at the Belgian stuff, for the longest time I couldn't get it out of my head that the finish for every one I had was strong with what I identified as an antiseptic taste. It's grown on me though.

Apperarance: Beautiful, a deep ruby color that's a bit translucent. It seems to have a bit more carbonation than some dubbels and tripels I've had, though that may just be the style.

Smell: Definitely Belgian. An almost medicinal, honey and springtime sort of smell. Not pungent, but certainly apparent.

Taste: Not bad, but not spectacular. Not as much flavor as I was hoping to get from a 9.4% brew. Very crisp, and a sweet and malty mild taste, but it fades quickly. Taste is all subjective and shit, and I can't really identify what I taste here.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean, not very syrupy at all. The carbonation is pleasant but not overly done.

Overall this is an enjoyable beer, i certainly don't hate it, but it's something that I wouldn't exactly recommend and may be out of my mind in a few days

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Aroma: Bold dark fruits. Plums, dates and raisins. Some bitter citrus and pine hops. Some mild chocolate. Overall very sweet. Moderate Munich malt in the background. Mild alcohol.

Appearance: Dark brown. Nearly opaque. Pours a light brown head, which is very, very creamy. Awesome retention and great lacing. Some particles floating around, lots of bubbles rising up the side of the glass.

Taste: Dark fruit, like a condensed syrup of plums, prunes and dates. Definitely some black cherry, pine bitterness. Moderately dry. A bit of malt, but the bitterness is pretty strong here, perhaps due to age of the temperature. The bitterness eases up as it warms up. Low spice and yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medum to full body. Moderately dry in the finish. Mild carbonation.

Overall: Nice bold dark fruits, a bit overly bitter. Nice malt flavor. The excess bitterness may be from the over-aging of this bottle.

Notes: Aged 1-3 years in a refrigerator (not my doing).

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

I love Thelonious Monk's music. He's a major voice iconic voice in Jazz so a Trappist Monk style abbey ale was an appropriate tribute to the maestro so eventually this was a must for me to try. People loved Monk in the Belgian - Paris and northern Europe area of the world, and I own a ton of his recordings.

Nice label that shows the coolness of Monk who was one of the coolest and coolest looking dudes in history. A lil smoke rises from the bottle but not much. Instead a nice head arises from the poor with excellent lacing. A pretty dark beer that has a similar beautiful hue as a beautiful black woman.

The aroma is very fruity. I catch more of an apple or cherry scent. Certainly, this is not heavier darker fruits. This is a good dubble so far.

The flavor is a good Belgian ale, but there is a caveat. The fruit flavors are a bit off the mark for me. I taste an old candy, slight bitter old style cherry candy, and not quite there for me. I like the malty sweetness. It finishes a little too bitter for my tastes.

An easy beer to drink with a milder carbonation. Brown malt to start: toasted and lightly roasted. A nice dubbel. I am much more of a quad fan myself.

A good beer! Goes well with Monk in Paris cd. A great Monk cd to check for newbies or old jaded Monk fans like me. Great Monk quartet and nice long cuts with beautiful improvisations of his quirky compositions. http://tiny.cc/sxe4bw

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.8 out of 5 with 3,051 ratings