Brother Thelonious | North Coast Brewing Co.

Brother TheloniousBrother Thelonious

Added by sloejams on 05-04-2006

View: Beers
Ratings: 3,070 |  Reviews: 1,071

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Had a few people from North Coast come to our local craft beer store to demo a few of their beers. This was one of the brews they had available on the flight of North Coast's stuff.

Pours a 2 finger head of creamy. Colour is a very dark red nontransparent. Some cherry notes with a little bit of nuttiness.
I see the problems people have with how this beer is classified but for the most part it is close and just has it's own take on the style. Its not overly sweet which I like and found it very well balanced considering the alcohol percentage. Over all I was impressed with this beer and would probably drink it again if I see it. It wasn't the highlight of my night but very worth while to check out.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

The other night, we came over to Hearthstone Coffee House & Pub for a drink. We brought the list, as we wanted to see if they had any beers that were a part of 1001 Bottles. They did. One. We ended up drinking a Fat Tire. Boring, I know, but it is still on the list and I treated it like every other beer. Well, we liked drinking/writing here so much we came back when they got Brother Thelonious in. They have it on tap, but also landed a few bottles.

We got to talking, and before we left, Hearthstone became the second official sponsor of 1001 Bottles! We are excited to have them on board. They are RIGHT across the street from where we live, so it’s an easy place to get to. So if you live on the north side of Indianapolis, let us know… we will invite you the next time we drink at Hearthstone.

In the Glass: The beer is a dark brown, almost red. It’s also quite cloudy and has a certain thickness to it. When I swirl it around in my glass, I hope for a thick lace. Wrong. The lace is pretty much nonexistent. But that is what you tend to get in a good barleywine. We all know my recent obsession with barleywine.

Nose: It smells sweet, dark, and has a certain boozy smell to it. The beer is 9.3% ABV, so I guess I can expect that. But I keep comparing this to a barleywine. I hope it lives up to the hype!

Flavor: There is NO carbonation, and you would almost think this beer was flat. But when the beer dances across your tongue you are hit with intense flavors on the front and the back of the palate leading to a dry, somewhat sweet finish. It doesn’t taste like a barleywine at all, but has a certain mouthfeel like one. Speaking of the mouthfeel…

Mouthfeel: This beer starts and finishes oh so smooth. There is a lot of booze on the middle of the tongue, but I accept it with this big of an ABV. The beer definitely tastes better than it smells. That’s for sure. Let’s dig a little deeper into the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste sits in quick. There is a hint of sweet at first, then it quickly turns into a warm dryness that is sort of unexpected. As it sits there on the tongue, it doesn’t really dwindle. The boozy notes stick around, and the burp brings back the sweet/bitter flavors that the tongue loves as you drink.

This is a great beer that has a really cool history. A percentage of their profits apparently go to support jazz music. I mean, on the bottle it says they support jazz education. I like the logo too. The monk just looks so cool, calm, and collected. Oh, and the skull. Love the skull. This is a great beer. Bottoms up people!

Beer Name - The bottle says: “SUPPORTING JAZZ EDUCATION”

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer claims to be a "Belgian style abbey ale." I'll let you determine whether that means anything.
It's got an almost ruby amber hue with a head that is unsatisfyingly thin.
Smell has some alcohol to it with some juniper berry, spice, cardamom...
Taste is definitely malty with a fair deal of toasted sweetness. It gets better as it opens up and settles.
The same goes for mouthfeel. The first few sips are too bubbly but it then quiets down. There's a slight treacly residue but this is definitely a beer that gets better as it goes along.

2.53/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought this a few weeks ago and finally got around to trying it,

A- Almost a cherry coke color with minimal head and lots of fizzle

S- Barely noticeable distinctions. A sweetness and nutty notes is overtaken by fruity raisin taste embezzled in there somewhere

T / MF- A bit of a disappointment. I do have to say I was a sucker for the label, but the sourness and sweetness were not a good concoction in my mouth. Be ready for the high carbonation!

O- It was worth a shot, but I don't think I will be buying this one again

2.61/5  rDev -31.3%

A - Big tan thick bubbly head. Very carbonated. No lacing to speak of... Brew is the color of figs.

S - Unadventurous scent. Missing a lot of Belgian influences... Very clovey and spiced. There's something hidden in the background too, it's not working.

T/M - To start this brew is WAY over carbonated... There's some funky flavors going on too, causing a rubber taste upon the finish. The spice in not nearly Belgian enough, and the yeast doesn't do anything for the brew. Heat is well hidden, but the body is much too thin for consideration of style. Very dry for an abbey...

O - A well miss on style. This brew is mildly sessionable (except for the ABV) and drinks (somewhat) well. But there is some weird scents and off flavors that draw you away. Not recommended.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.8 out of 5 with 3,070 ratings