Brother Thelonious | North Coast Brewing Co.

Brother TheloniousBrother Thelonious

Added by sloejams on 05-04-2006

View: Beers
Ratings: 3,104 |  Reviews: 1,075
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

I love Thelonious Monk's music. He's a major voice iconic voice in Jazz so a Trappist Monk style abbey ale was an appropriate tribute to the maestro so eventually this was a must for me to try. People loved Monk in the Belgian - Paris and northern Europe area of the world, and I own a ton of his recordings.

Nice label that shows the coolness of Monk who was one of the coolest and coolest looking dudes in history. A lil smoke rises from the bottle but not much. Instead a nice head arises from the poor with excellent lacing. A pretty dark beer that has a similar beautiful hue as a beautiful black woman.

The aroma is very fruity. I catch more of an apple or cherry scent. Certainly, this is not heavier darker fruits. This is a good dubble so far.

The flavor is a good Belgian ale, but there is a caveat. The fruit flavors are a bit off the mark for me. I taste an old candy, slight bitter old style cherry candy, and not quite there for me. I like the malty sweetness. It finishes a little too bitter for my tastes.

An easy beer to drink with a milder carbonation. Brown malt to start: toasted and lightly roasted. A nice dubbel. I am much more of a quad fan myself.

A good beer! Goes well with Monk in Paris cd. A great Monk cd to check for newbies or old jaded Monk fans like me. Great Monk quartet and nice long cuts with beautiful improvisations of his quirky compositions. http://tiny.cc/sxe4bw

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Nice packaging and I really like NC's squatty fat brown bottles. Single bottle cost me $3.09

Nice reddish brown that poured to very little head and it dissipated quickly. Light carbonation. Not a deal breaker. Dark fruity smell. Not too much on the nose really. The first sip is pretty sweet. A slight alcohol taste with medicine quality's but I expect that from a strong dark Belgian ale. Fairly easy to drink and doesn't have any bitterness. I could put back a few of these in succession.

Very good offering from NC and will drink this one again and again.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Had a few people from North Coast come to our local craft beer store to demo a few of their beers. This was one of the brews they had available on the flight of North Coast's stuff.

Pours a 2 finger head of creamy. Colour is a very dark red nontransparent. Some cherry notes with a little bit of nuttiness.
I see the problems people have with how this beer is classified but for the most part it is close and just has it's own take on the style. Its not overly sweet which I like and found it very well balanced considering the alcohol percentage. Over all I was impressed with this beer and would probably drink it again if I see it. It wasn't the highlight of my night but very worth while to check out.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

The other night, we came over to Hearthstone Coffee House & Pub for a drink. We brought the list, as we wanted to see if they had any beers that were a part of 1001 Bottles. They did. One. We ended up drinking a Fat Tire. Boring, I know, but it is still on the list and I treated it like every other beer. Well, we liked drinking/writing here so much we came back when they got Brother Thelonious in. They have it on tap, but also landed a few bottles.

We got to talking, and before we left, Hearthstone became the second official sponsor of 1001 Bottles! We are excited to have them on board. They are RIGHT across the street from where we live, so it’s an easy place to get to. So if you live on the north side of Indianapolis, let us know… we will invite you the next time we drink at Hearthstone.

In the Glass: The beer is a dark brown, almost red. It’s also quite cloudy and has a certain thickness to it. When I swirl it around in my glass, I hope for a thick lace. Wrong. The lace is pretty much nonexistent. But that is what you tend to get in a good barleywine. We all know my recent obsession with barleywine.

Nose: It smells sweet, dark, and has a certain boozy smell to it. The beer is 9.3% ABV, so I guess I can expect that. But I keep comparing this to a barleywine. I hope it lives up to the hype!

Flavor: There is NO carbonation, and you would almost think this beer was flat. But when the beer dances across your tongue you are hit with intense flavors on the front and the back of the palate leading to a dry, somewhat sweet finish. It doesn’t taste like a barleywine at all, but has a certain mouthfeel like one. Speaking of the mouthfeel…

Mouthfeel: This beer starts and finishes oh so smooth. There is a lot of booze on the middle of the tongue, but I accept it with this big of an ABV. The beer definitely tastes better than it smells. That’s for sure. Let’s dig a little deeper into the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste sits in quick. There is a hint of sweet at first, then it quickly turns into a warm dryness that is sort of unexpected. As it sits there on the tongue, it doesn’t really dwindle. The boozy notes stick around, and the burp brings back the sweet/bitter flavors that the tongue loves as you drink.

This is a great beer that has a really cool history. A percentage of their profits apparently go to support jazz music. I mean, on the bottle it says they support jazz education. I like the logo too. The monk just looks so cool, calm, and collected. Oh, and the skull. Love the skull. This is a great beer. Bottoms up people!

Beer Name - The bottle says: “SUPPORTING JAZZ EDUCATION”

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.81 out of 5 with 3,104 ratings