Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels) | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels)Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels)

North Coast Brewing Co.

Style: Old Ale

Vintages: 2005, 2009, 2013

Added by BeerBeing on 06-03-2007

Reviews: 354 | Ratings: 1,058
4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Used a snifter for this. Pours a beautiful, slightly murky dark burgondy/plum color. The head is a little darker than off-white. It was pretty foamy and a finger and a half high but that died down right quick. All that's left after just a few short moments is a foamy ring around the glass, but one that seems to be lasting and replenished by some moderate bubbles coming up the sides of the glass. Hm. Nice.

The aroma is of pleasantly abundant bourbon aromas, a bit of bourbon spice, loads of wouth-watering vanilla, notes of coconut to go along with the bourbon, notes of chocolate in there behind the bourbon, good amount of caramel that really compliments the bourbon, strong plum/fig/prune (almost juice like) notes, toffee and molasses, brown sugar, some hints of toasted almonds, and plenty of malty goodness. For as nice as I thought the Old Stock Ale 2011 I had recently smelled, this smells even better! In fact, the aroma deserves a 5 straight up. It's amazing!

The taste really isn't any bit of a let-down after smelling it. There's a pretty substantial candy sweetness at first (not a bad thing at all, in fact really compliments everything). Then I get extremely well integrated bourbon tastes, plenty of vanilla, coconut, caramel, again chocolate in the background that's fantastic, a mixture of grape plum and prune juice (not a bad thing either), toffee, plenty of malty sweetness, and some hints of brown sugar mixed with maple syrup coming in on the finish. I hate to sound redundant, but for as complex as Old Stock Ale 2011 was, Old Stock Cellar Reserve is extremely more complex. This may be one of my favorite tasting beers of those I've tried so far! It's that good.

Mouthfeel - The consistency is velvety and rich. The carbonation is creamy, almost round (just right actually). The body is medium-ish. The finish is actually a bit long and wet, which is nice, with lasting flavors of vanilla, caramel, sweetness, brown sugar, hints of bourbon, and of dark fruit.

Overall - Well the aroma got a 5 and the taste got a 5. If the mouthfeel got anything higher than a 3.5, I think that solidifies this overall score as a 5. I really can't see any way this beer could be improved. Sure I didn't give it 5s across the board, but I don't think I ever will give that to any beer. Point here is that this beer smelled and tasted amazing, and the mouthfeel was wonderfully complementary to the beer. Seriously 5.0 worthy. The smell, as well the taste to some extent, reminds me a good deal of Firestone Walker 15th Anniversary, which is another beer I loved. Bottom line, the price tag on this beer was high, but I'm SO glad I took a chance and got it (it was the last one on the shelf). I'm kicking myself for not buying more when there were more on the shelf.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2009 Vintage

Appearance - Old Stock doesn't have much in the way of looks. The body is ruddy and murky, and when viewed in the brownish hue it has, it looks sort of like a port wine. A khaki-colored head springs forth as it hits the glass, but fades almost as rapidly as it appears, leaving nothing but a slow trickle of carbonation to break the surface.

Aroma - Every time I smell this beer, I am hit immediately with a rich sweetness that runs the gamut from bourbon to dark fruits. Figs and raisin are the most noticeable, and the combination with the liquor makes it the perfect smell for a cold Autumn night like tonight. Toffee, caramel, and a touch of cocoa add an additional layer of sweetness as well.

Taste - The taste is a faithful representation of the aroma down to a 'T'. Each note is reproduced on the palate for the taste buds to savor and it goes over just as positively here. The first flavors are the cocoa and fig, mixed with the bourbon to give it a warming alcohol-soaked quality. It also draws comparisons to port here as well in my opinion. The finish is filled with toffee and barrel character. There is an overarching presence of alcohol heat, but it never is at the forefront or detrimental.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is not as heavy as I would've expected for a beer of this size. It definitely has some meat to it, but it flows gracefully over the palate and doesn't weigh heavily on it. There is a zesty amount of carbonation that gives it a sort of cola-like similarity.

Closing Arguments - Overall this is a wonderful beer from start to finish. The flavors are deep and layered and one needs only to take a small sip to have them develop rapidly in the mouth. This is definitely a beer to cradle for an hour or so and appreciate how it changes with temperature and after the palate grows acclimated to some of the flavors that allow the more nuanced aspects rise. In comparisons to other beers, I can easily draw parallels to Samuel Adam's Utopias, with this being a more 'mild' take. Although expensive, this is a beer that would be excellent for a celebration or special occasion, or just to sit out on the porch as the weather changes and take in the world.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

The North Coast Brewing Company Old Stock Cellar Reserve Bourbon Barrel Aged edition is a winner! It pours as a full-bodied tawny ale, with a lightly rocky, but more creamy of a tan head. Your initial notes are of cider, but not a spiced cider more of that ripe apple scent you get standing under an apple tree in late October. Your first sip engulfs your pallet in a warm toffee apple with very slight hints of the ale's fresh form (that Toffee/Vanilla/Coffee vibe) but this early in the aging process you can already see how the ale has matured. The toasty marshmallow has rounded off into the toffee and the initial booziness has turned into that of ripe harvest fruits. It ends with a pleasant if noticeable warmth reminiscent of a bourbon spiked coffee on a foggy Mendocino morning.

I waxed poetic on this even further on my blog http://www.fugglybrew.com/2011/01/old-stock-cellar-reserve-2009-from-ncbc.html

4.87/5  rDev +12%

Thanks to Joeyschlitz for generously opening this on new years eve. Pours dark caramel with a bit of tan head. Smells like a bourbon caramel apple. Taste is all malt - sweet brown sugar, caramel, apples, bourbon and toffee. Very well rounded and complex. Body is medium with medium carbonation. One of the best beers I have had this year.

4.86/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle shared by jayhawk73. Thanks Jeff!

2009 vintage

The beer is a crimson / brown / ruby color, with just a fleeting glimpse of a head. The aroma is simply fabulous. Delectable bourbon, oak, malt. Perfect blend of flavors. This beer tastes amazing. Incredibly smooth, time has served this old ale very well. The $20+ price tag is a bit steep, but wow, this beer delivers. Alcohol presence is completely unobtrusive. I highly recommend this beer. A must try.

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Serving Type: Vintage 2009 500mL into brandy snifter

Appearance: Pours a half finger head . It's a dark dark beatuiful red.

Smell: Smells of rich bourbon and sweet raisins.

Taste: Very smooth. There's a very slight burn from the bourbon barrels, but not overpowering. It's just enough mellow the beer and give that bourbon taste. Tastes of raisins and milk chocolate.

Mouth: A medium bodied beer. I say medium because I feel it should be heavier, but it's actually quite light.

Overall: This beer is very smooth. I imagine aging in bourbon barrels really mellows this beer out. I originally thought this was a 2011 brew, but after realizing it's 2009 the smoothness of the beer makes more sense. I imagine the alcohol and bourbon burn is more apparent for a young brew so a year or two in the cellar would do this beer a great deal of good.

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Corked and caged 2013 Vintage poured into a snifter at room temperature.

A- Pours a clear and bubbly mahogany color with a small amount of fizzy off-white head that quickly fades.

S- Smells great, with notes of dark fruits, slight sweetness, and lots of bourbon.

T- At first taste is caramel and dark fruits. Then comes notes of sweet oak and bourbon.

M- Medium bodied, lightly carbonated, well balanced, drinks hot with a nice warming after each sip.

Great beer, and huge bourbon characters.

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Deep mahogany in color, with garnet highlights when held to the light. Its body is crystal clear topped with a kakhi froth. It doesn't stick around long, but that's not surprising given that this brew is 13.6% abv.

S: I knew from the second that I popped the cork, which was no small feat I might add, that this was going to be an amazing brew. How you ask? I could tell because the second that cork left its bottle I was bombarded with the aroma of dark rum, figs, raisins, creme brulee, cinnamon, and dulce de leche. This brew has a lot going for it in the aroma department.

T: The flavor follows the aroma, with additional notes of Pedro Ximenez, toasted coconut, and molasses. This brew is only slightly sweet, which makes these flavors all the more enjoyable. I am absolutely floored by the breadth and the the depth of the flavors in this brew, all perfectly balanced in a harmonious fashion.

M: Full bodied, with a touch of stickiness. This is quickly remedied, though, by a torrent of bubbles to scrub away only the stickiness, leaving the delicious flavors to linger between sips.

D: This is the most enjoyable beer I have had since Canadian Breakfast Stout has graced my lips. It is delicious through and through, and is truly unique in its flavor profile. As a frequent consumer of Bourbon, I was a touch disappointed that there wasn't a more overt bourbon presence, but what is there is absolutely divine. Regarding the first question everyone asks when they pick up this bottle, "Is it really worth the money?" I can say with the utmost confidence, "It's a bargain; this beer has flavor and balance that rivals any $40 bottle of port."

4.83/5  rDev +11%

Poured from the sexiest bottle I've ever seen into probably a snifter or a tulip or a goblet.

A: Dark brown, almost black with a very light brown head.

S: Excellent bourbon character, oak, vanilla, caramel, some raisin, rum, and dark fruit in the nose as well. Also that old ale smell. Whatever that is. It smells old. Odd that the nose of a beer can be the very definition of a smell, but old ales do it somehow. They all smell old.

T: Dark fruit with more great bourbon character. Oak, vanilla and caramel, my three favorite things in a beer. MASSIVE bourbon after taste which is more than delightful.

M: Medium-full bodied with decent amounts of carbonation.

O: If you can still find it, buy a bottle. The bottle itself is so damn sexy, and the beer is extremely tasty. Number 15 for me, as of writing this review, out of more than 600. By the way, I am starting at the top of my list and working my way down, so I keep saying how many beers I've had. That's not to brag, that's just to say how damn good these beers are to me. Sorry if it comes off braggy. I know there are people who have had WAAAAY more beers than me.

Quick edit: I don't like the beeradvocate system for rating, because the beer, right now, has an average of 98, I gave it a 97 on my blog, but my rating here says I gave it roughly 7% higher than the average rating. BA inflates. That's stupid, but then again their rating system isn't very precise. At least they don't inflate as much as Ratebeer. Dear lord.

4.79/5  rDev +10.1%

I have come to really appreciate and love Old Stock Ale. This edition aged in bourbon bottles is two years old and superb. Deep copper color is a bit cloudy, no head and or lacing is present but it looks darn good. Deep luscious aroma of stewed dark fruits and of course bourbon invites. Extremely smooth with dark fruit tones mainly raisin and plum. Bourbon notes are in prominent evidence and lend lots of character. Medium bodied, very drinkable despite this beers great strength. The ultimate sipper for a winters night. Outstanding beer.

4.79/5  rDev +10.1%

a - released the cage and decorked the bottle, filled my ccb snifter. deep ruby brown with a real nice shine to it when the light hits it...thin fizzy head that fizzed out. super slippery with no lacing at all...expected for a bourbon barrel aged brew.

s - oh zing...that's it! bourbon barrel aged old ale. YUM...my favorite blend of beer for bourbon barrels. nice chocolatey bourbon. dark rich fruit. nutmeggy old ale backbone. just perfect.

t - really solid and nice balance between old ale and rich chocolatey booziness. grapejuice, caramel. really amazing.

m - full bodied. rich. coats my mouth in boozy tingles.

o - as good or better than any other barrel aged old ale, but at twice the price. this beer is certainly a delicacy and provides the satisfaction you'd expect if you saved it for a special moment. although it's a pricey beer, it is a damn fine beer...world class.

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes from 1/19/13

A- Pours a deep mahogany with ruby hues. A larger head and carbonation than expected considering the age, but it disappears quickly. Lots of alcohol legs.

S- The aroma is the thing dreams are made of! Big bourbon right off the bat, ripe prune, bourbon-soaked raisins, smokey oak, vanilla, perhaps a little banana, and did I mention bourbon?! Super complex, and I'm honestly a bit lost in it and can't decipher some of the aromas!

T- The flavor is nearly identical to the nose. The smooth bourbon and sweet, over-ripe dark fruits reign supreme, and balance each other well. Figs and maybe even a little apricot make their presence known. A hint of dark chocolate/cocoa make an appearance, and perhaps cherries. Alright, enough analysis, I just want to enjoy the rest of this wondrous brew!

M- The mouthfeel is creamy as velvet, with the slightest tingle of carbonation and heat from the alcohol.

O- This is without a doubt one of the best beers I've ever tasted! Absolutely astounding complexity and balance in the flavor, and an aroma that I'd love to be able to smell every day of my life! Please release another batch of this ASAP!!

2009 vintage

Caramel color and legs instead of lace. Some slight foam that subsides quickly.

Thick bourbony nose.

Magnificent richness, full of bourbon, vanilla, oak, and everything I might ever ask for. Super warming.

Nice and smooth, supports the powerful flavor.

This is fantastic, probably not worth the price, but pretty great. Excellent pairing with aged gouda.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

I waited a very, very long time to be able to get ahold of this one, After not being aloud to be at DLD, this year, I felt I had to open up something special to make up for it. Served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter this one was consumed on 04/24/2010.

Rich caramel colored pour with a light head of off white that caps it off rather nicely. Settling down it left a little bit of a light sticky lace along the sides. Aroma was the best I have ever come across. Rich toffee and butterscotch, tons of sweet nectar notes. Candy in all its glory. Perfectly aged with a smooth, perfect profile of vanilla, toffee, and rich butterscotch that will not let up. Rich bourbon flavor just rolls across the palate with a smoothness unlike anything I have run across before. Rich vanilla and boozy notes combine to form a perfect balance of rich sweet notes and oak soaked barrel flavor.

Incredibly complex and drinkable this was was everything I had wanted it to be and more. Quite simply one of the best beers I have had hands down. Go seek this one out now. It is dead on perfect.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle provided to me by my bro-in-law.
Poured into a snifter the beer pours a deep mahogany hue with fizzy, frothy beige head of 1 cm that recedes rapidly to the thinnest of edge layers. Aroma is deep bourbon and vanilla notes with molasses and some maple syrup sweetness. All big malt with no real hop presence to speak of on this brew.
First sip reveals gentle spacious carbonation, almost like a cask with very little fizz on each sip.
Flavor is what the nose advertised with all sweet malt from start to finish. Brown sugar and molasses start this off but bourbon and vanilla pick up the middle and the finish is the flavor of doing a shot of Jack without the heat. This beer is 13%??? I dont get any booziness on the nose or flavor which could make this beer a little dangerously drinkable.

This is a big malty beer that I am enjoying a lot as I empty my glass. Definitely worth a shot if you see a bottle.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a rich dark copper color.

The aroma is wonderfully sweet of brown sugar and caramel with lots of sweet vanilla and bourbon.

The flavor follows with that caramel sweetness, but without much chewy qualities. The bourbon drives throughout and there also is an apple pie spice throughout.

There's a medium mouthfeel and the alcohol is extremely well hidden.

A pleasant surprise as the beer has wonderful complexities and drinkability.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage, drunk in July 2016. Purchased from the brewery store, drunk out of a tulip glass.

Wow. I've been privileged enough to have some fantastic beers in my lifetime. This might be the most unique. And possibly one of the best. A truly brilliant beer. A beer that doesn't get much buzz, but a true whale worthy of finding and conquering.

A: Dark brown. Not much carbonation or head. Maybe a half inch of soapy tan head dissipates after 10-15 seconds. No lacing. Reminds me a bit of a strong ale. Looks mysterious. Not an especially pretty beer, but you can tell by looking at it that it means business.

S: An extremely complex bouquet of preserved fruit and malt. Figs, raisins, plums, brown sugar, molasses, sticky malts, spices, vanilla, wood, bourbon. Smells I associate with fireplaces and snowfall. Somehow nostalgic and familiar, but definitely unlike any other beer I've ever experienced.

T: Wow. Incredible. So complex. An assault of dark fruit, holiday spices, burnt sugar, and barrel. Booze hits quickly, but it is pretty subdued, just giving heat and warmth to the whole mix. This is a beer that makes me want to cuddle up around the fire with a blanket over my legs. Hard not to wax poetic about this one. Transportive. This is truly a beautiful taste. Sweet without being overpowering. Overwhelming complexity. Soft barrel notes warm and smooth out the beer. This tastes soothing and beautiful.

M: Rich and heavy. Carbonation isn't overwhelming, but is definitely present. Reminds me a great deal of the feel of strong ales. Works well with the taste. Not sticky, but definitely a full bodied beer.

O: Beyond complex. Drinking this is an experience. It reminds me of my youth, but in a way I can't quite describe. Warm nights by the fire, eating dinner around the table with my family, watching snow fall onto our deck. Sweet and decadent without being syrupy or overpowering sweet. A beautiful mix of dark fruits, preserved and candied. I will buy this whenever possible. A beer for special occasions. Rare and beautiful. I can't emphasize enough how spectacular this is.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A great beer elevated to another level by barrel aging. Other than a mild burn, there was nothing else I could fault about this beer. Definitely worth trying, even though the price/oz ($19, 2013 batch) was a tad steep.

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a teku glass, the head is rather fizzy and loud, but forms light, airy and wispy inside. Steady surging carbonation is visible in the amber/light brown body. 4.25

From the moment I uncorked the beer, sweet brown sugar radiated outward. It's a heavy presence but caramel, port, and raisin all mingle alongside. The party doesn't end there: vanilla, oak, sticky bourbon, and molasses ooze through too. The smell overall is dessert-like, delectable and perfect. 5

Taste does not disappoint. True to the nose almost to a T. Caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, oak, and some port-like raisin quality. I get oatmeal cookie flavors from sip to sip. The brew suggests bourbon but it stands on its own and has plenty more to offer, all delicious. 4.75

Very light on the boozy feel, with only a faint burn on the finish and that enhances the experience for me. I can savor the flavors and let the creaminess roll around on the tongue. The body is deceptive, finishing light and sweet, but it's chewy and almost silky beforehand. 4.5

Delicious. Damn delicious. It's damn expensive too, but I'm not the least disappointed and quite happy with this investment.

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%

I decided to open one of these to celebrate my engagement yesterday. 2009 vintage. It's also fitting that this is my 500th bottle review.

It pours a nice mahogany in color, between light and medium in body, with a slight beige lacing around the glass. The aromas are of candied sugar, caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, bourbon, and oak. If you let it decant and swirl it about a bit you get some really elegant brandy notes, even some apple brandy. It smells great. It tastes of vanilla, cream, brown sugar, oak, cherries, port, brandy, bourbon, and has a superb smooth creamy finish. It is as if all of my tastebuds stood up to applaud. It instantly makes your mouth salivate. It drinks so smoothly and definitely makes you pay attention. This is a superb old ale, and a phenomenal barrel aged beer, period. I knew this one would be pretty stellar but it still surprised me. What a phenomenal beer, phenomenal.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2009 vintage, this beer is awesome. so smooth, lots of caramel sweetness and a nice bit of bourbon to complement the flavors of raisins, plums, again, lots of caramel.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks goes out to cyrusthepup for this brew.

16.9 oz.
Tan Bottle
2009 Vintage

Poured into a Westy chalice a very nice brownish color, very nice carbonation (HUGE POP), nice one-finger fizzy/foamy off-white head, with some nice small islands and sticky lacing left behind. The nose is sweet, malty, with some raisins, figs, plum notes, very nice touch of oak/bourbon, slight ABV note. The taste is absolutely amazing, sweet, malty, some very nice dark fruit notes, bourbon, oaky, slight cherry note. Medium Body, theres a nice lightness to this brew on the tongue, ABV is hidden very well. This is one amazing brew. Glad I finally got a chance to try it. Thanks Chris!

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Well, never had the chance to try either of the original releases, but glad to try this new Bourbon version. Poured into a snifter. Nice mahogany color wit a silky tan head. Nose has wood, vanilla, bourbon, bready malts, nuts, caramel, toffee, cherries and plums. Barrels really tansformed this beer into something special. Thick creamy body. Simply superb, worth the price tag.

4.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 version. Poured from a 500 ml corked bottle into a stemmed chalice.

Appearance: Pours a dark and hazy brownish amber with a moderate amount of bubbles. Small off white head that quickly fades away.

Smell: A nicely boozy and sweet malty aroma with big hints of bourbon, caramel, and biscuit. Upfront barrel presence with good hints of bourbon whiskey, vanilla, oak, and wood. Toasted barley malt with good hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, butterscotch, yeast, and slight roast. Sweet hints of molasses and brown sugar. Earthy and floral hop hints. Dark fruit hints of cherry, dates, raisin, and fig. A really good complex aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a boozy, bready, and sweet malty taste with big notes of bourbon, caramel, and biscuit. Big upfront barrel presence with boozy notes of bourbon whiskey, vanilla, oak, and wood. Toasted barley malt with notes of sweet caramel and toffee along with some biscuit, butterscotch, yeast, and subtle roast. Sweet taste of molasses along with brown sugar. Some earthy and floral hop notes come through. Nice dark fruit undertones of fig, cherry, raisin, and dates. A great complex boozy taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a low to medium level of carbonation. Chewy, slick, and creamy. Has some alcohol heat as expected but it’s actually fairly smooth considering it’s 14%.

Overall: A really great take on a barrel aged stock ale. Big bourbon flavor with a great mix of toasty malt and dark fruit notes. Pricey but it arguable lives up to it.

4.74/5  rDev +9%

A- Dark hazy brown/red. Small off-white head quickly dissipates. Tons of alcohol on the glass.

S- Bourbon, raisins, vanilla. Some alcohol.

T- Vanilla, molasses, bourbon, toffee, raisin, fig, brown sugar.

M- Medium mouthfeel, hardly any alcohol burn. This beer is amazingly smooth.

O- I've been wanting to try this for a long time and it has definitely lived up to my expectations. Really shows how taking an already great beer and throwing it in a barrel yields phenomenal results. North Coast succeeds again with this bourbon barrel offering.

Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels) from North Coast Brewing Co.