Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels) | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels)Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels)
4.41/5

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Vintages: 2005, 2009, 2013

Added by BeerBeing on 06-03-2007

#258

Ratings: 1,089 |  Reviews: 365

This is my first review, so forgive if its not a standard style one.

I said this is my first review, not my first beer. This beer is spectacular, after uncorking there are only mild notes of bourbon when smelling the bottle. After poor it is a deep amber to brown color, poured into a wide mouth balloon wine glass due to my lack of appropriate hardware on hand to pour in. Very effervescent, light in body, strong in bourbon finish. This beer is the creme de la creme if you are a bourbon fan searching for a bourbon experience.

Don't take this the wrong way, just the literal way, this beer is very light and airy, but finishes with medium to strong bourbon tones and highlighted by vanilla notes and finishes with an effervescent bite, almost like a bourbon flavored soda, like I said don't take it the wrong way, upon finish you can't help but imagine how incredible this beer will be in 2, 3, even 4 years down the road, a MUST have.

This is the epitome of what a high end beer should taste like. Way back in 2009, I had some Old Stock Ale and thought it was one of the best beers I have ever tasted. I kicked myself for not buying a case. Now we have a barrel-aged offering that has everything I've ever wanted in a beer. The dry esters are both decadent and gritty; producing a beer that has an old world vibe with a modern intensity. The obvious vanilla and tobacco flavors are immediately there, with hints of coconut, cola, dates, figs, and hazelnuts.

It takes a lot for me to give a beer a perfect rating, but this beer is one of the best ever produced by human hands. Is it the best beer I've ever tasted? It comes close. It's not cheap, but I'm most likely going to go back and buy the other two bottle in stock at my local swill merchant tomorrow.

This barley wine is a deep mahogany color, with appreciative notes of bourbon and sweet caramel complimented by dark fruit, peppery spices, vanilla, and a hint of chocolate in the backbone. There’s a rich oaky character from the barrel aging, and this wonderfully complex beer is velvety smooth from start to finish. Surprisingly, the considerable alcohol content isn’t too noticeable.

Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels) from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.41 out of 5 with 1,089 ratings