Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels) | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels)Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels)

North Coast Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Old Ale

Vintages: 2005, 2009, 2013

Added by BeerBeing on 06-03-2007

Reviews: 352 | Ratings: 1,051
4.79/5  rDev +10.1%

a - released the cage and decorked the bottle, filled my ccb snifter. deep ruby brown with a real nice shine to it when the light hits it...thin fizzy head that fizzed out. super slippery with no lacing at all...expected for a bourbon barrel aged brew.

s - oh zing...that's it! bourbon barrel aged old ale. YUM...my favorite blend of beer for bourbon barrels. nice chocolatey bourbon. dark rich fruit. nutmeggy old ale backbone. just perfect.

t - really solid and nice balance between old ale and rich chocolatey booziness. grapejuice, caramel. really amazing.

m - full bodied. rich. coats my mouth in boozy tingles.

o - as good or better than any other barrel aged old ale, but at twice the price. this beer is certainly a delicacy and provides the satisfaction you'd expect if you saved it for a special moment. although it's a pricey beer, it is a damn fine beer...world class.

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes from 1/19/13

A- Pours a deep mahogany with ruby hues. A larger head and carbonation than expected considering the age, but it disappears quickly. Lots of alcohol legs.

S- The aroma is the thing dreams are made of! Big bourbon right off the bat, ripe prune, bourbon-soaked raisins, smokey oak, vanilla, perhaps a little banana, and did I mention bourbon?! Super complex, and I'm honestly a bit lost in it and can't decipher some of the aromas!

T- The flavor is nearly identical to the nose. The smooth bourbon and sweet, over-ripe dark fruits reign supreme, and balance each other well. Figs and maybe even a little apricot make their presence known. A hint of dark chocolate/cocoa make an appearance, and perhaps cherries. Alright, enough analysis, I just want to enjoy the rest of this wondrous brew!

M- The mouthfeel is creamy as velvet, with the slightest tingle of carbonation and heat from the alcohol.

O- This is without a doubt one of the best beers I've ever tasted! Absolutely astounding complexity and balance in the flavor, and an aroma that I'd love to be able to smell every day of my life! Please release another batch of this ASAP!!

2009 vintage

Caramel color and legs instead of lace. Some slight foam that subsides quickly.

Thick bourbony nose.

Magnificent richness, full of bourbon, vanilla, oak, and everything I might ever ask for. Super warming.

Nice and smooth, supports the powerful flavor.

This is fantastic, probably not worth the price, but pretty great. Excellent pairing with aged gouda.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

I waited a very, very long time to be able to get ahold of this one, After not being aloud to be at DLD, this year, I felt I had to open up something special to make up for it. Served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter this one was consumed on 04/24/2010.

Rich caramel colored pour with a light head of off white that caps it off rather nicely. Settling down it left a little bit of a light sticky lace along the sides. Aroma was the best I have ever come across. Rich toffee and butterscotch, tons of sweet nectar notes. Candy in all its glory. Perfectly aged with a smooth, perfect profile of vanilla, toffee, and rich butterscotch that will not let up. Rich bourbon flavor just rolls across the palate with a smoothness unlike anything I have run across before. Rich vanilla and boozy notes combine to form a perfect balance of rich sweet notes and oak soaked barrel flavor.

Incredibly complex and drinkable this was was everything I had wanted it to be and more. Quite simply one of the best beers I have had hands down. Go seek this one out now. It is dead on perfect.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle provided to me by my bro-in-law.
Poured into a snifter the beer pours a deep mahogany hue with fizzy, frothy beige head of 1 cm that recedes rapidly to the thinnest of edge layers. Aroma is deep bourbon and vanilla notes with molasses and some maple syrup sweetness. All big malt with no real hop presence to speak of on this brew.
First sip reveals gentle spacious carbonation, almost like a cask with very little fizz on each sip.
Flavor is what the nose advertised with all sweet malt from start to finish. Brown sugar and molasses start this off but bourbon and vanilla pick up the middle and the finish is the flavor of doing a shot of Jack without the heat. This beer is 13%??? I dont get any booziness on the nose or flavor which could make this beer a little dangerously drinkable.

This is a big malty beer that I am enjoying a lot as I empty my glass. Definitely worth a shot if you see a bottle.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a rich dark copper color.

The aroma is wonderfully sweet of brown sugar and caramel with lots of sweet vanilla and bourbon.

The flavor follows with that caramel sweetness, but without much chewy qualities. The bourbon drives throughout and there also is an apple pie spice throughout.

There's a medium mouthfeel and the alcohol is extremely well hidden.

A pleasant surprise as the beer has wonderful complexities and drinkability.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage, drunk in July 2016. Purchased from the brewery store, drunk out of a tulip glass.

Wow. I've been privileged enough to have some fantastic beers in my lifetime. This might be the most unique. And possibly one of the best. A truly brilliant beer. A beer that doesn't get much buzz, but a true whale worthy of finding and conquering.

A: Dark brown. Not much carbonation or head. Maybe a half inch of soapy tan head dissipates after 10-15 seconds. No lacing. Reminds me a bit of a strong ale. Looks mysterious. Not an especially pretty beer, but you can tell by looking at it that it means business.

S: An extremely complex bouquet of preserved fruit and malt. Figs, raisins, plums, brown sugar, molasses, sticky malts, spices, vanilla, wood, bourbon. Smells I associate with fireplaces and snowfall. Somehow nostalgic and familiar, but definitely unlike any other beer I've ever experienced.

T: Wow. Incredible. So complex. An assault of dark fruit, holiday spices, burnt sugar, and barrel. Booze hits quickly, but it is pretty subdued, just giving heat and warmth to the whole mix. This is a beer that makes me want to cuddle up around the fire with a blanket over my legs. Hard not to wax poetic about this one. Transportive. This is truly a beautiful taste. Sweet without being overpowering. Overwhelming complexity. Soft barrel notes warm and smooth out the beer. This tastes soothing and beautiful.

M: Rich and heavy. Carbonation isn't overwhelming, but is definitely present. Reminds me a great deal of the feel of strong ales. Works well with the taste. Not sticky, but definitely a full bodied beer.

O: Beyond complex. Drinking this is an experience. It reminds me of my youth, but in a way I can't quite describe. Warm nights by the fire, eating dinner around the table with my family, watching snow fall onto our deck. Sweet and decadent without being syrupy or overpowering sweet. A beautiful mix of dark fruits, preserved and candied. I will buy this whenever possible. A beer for special occasions. Rare and beautiful. I can't emphasize enough how spectacular this is.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A great beer elevated to another level by barrel aging. Other than a mild burn, there was nothing else I could fault about this beer. Definitely worth trying, even though the price/oz ($19, 2013 batch) was a tad steep.

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a teku glass, the head is rather fizzy and loud, but forms light, airy and wispy inside. Steady surging carbonation is visible in the amber/light brown body. 4.25

From the moment I uncorked the beer, sweet brown sugar radiated outward. It's a heavy presence but caramel, port, and raisin all mingle alongside. The party doesn't end there: vanilla, oak, sticky bourbon, and molasses ooze through too. The smell overall is dessert-like, delectable and perfect. 5

Taste does not disappoint. True to the nose almost to a T. Caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, oak, and some port-like raisin quality. I get oatmeal cookie flavors from sip to sip. The brew suggests bourbon but it stands on its own and has plenty more to offer, all delicious. 4.75

Very light on the boozy feel, with only a faint burn on the finish and that enhances the experience for me. I can savor the flavors and let the creaminess roll around on the tongue. The body is deceptive, finishing light and sweet, but it's chewy and almost silky beforehand. 4.5

Delicious. Damn delicious. It's damn expensive too, but I'm not the least disappointed and quite happy with this investment.

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%

I decided to open one of these to celebrate my engagement yesterday. 2009 vintage. It's also fitting that this is my 500th bottle review.

It pours a nice mahogany in color, between light and medium in body, with a slight beige lacing around the glass. The aromas are of candied sugar, caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, bourbon, and oak. If you let it decant and swirl it about a bit you get some really elegant brandy notes, even some apple brandy. It smells great. It tastes of vanilla, cream, brown sugar, oak, cherries, port, brandy, bourbon, and has a superb smooth creamy finish. It is as if all of my tastebuds stood up to applaud. It instantly makes your mouth salivate. It drinks so smoothly and definitely makes you pay attention. This is a superb old ale, and a phenomenal barrel aged beer, period. I knew this one would be pretty stellar but it still surprised me. What a phenomenal beer, phenomenal.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2009 vintage, this beer is awesome. so smooth, lots of caramel sweetness and a nice bit of bourbon to complement the flavors of raisins, plums, again, lots of caramel.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks goes out to cyrusthepup for this brew.

16.9 oz.
Caged/Corked
Tan Bottle
2009 Vintage

Poured into a Westy chalice a very nice brownish color, very nice carbonation (HUGE POP), nice one-finger fizzy/foamy off-white head, with some nice small islands and sticky lacing left behind. The nose is sweet, malty, with some raisins, figs, plum notes, very nice touch of oak/bourbon, slight ABV note. The taste is absolutely amazing, sweet, malty, some very nice dark fruit notes, bourbon, oaky, slight cherry note. Medium Body, theres a nice lightness to this brew on the tongue, ABV is hidden very well. This is one amazing brew. Glad I finally got a chance to try it. Thanks Chris!

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Well, never had the chance to try either of the original releases, but glad to try this new Bourbon version. Poured into a snifter. Nice mahogany color wit a silky tan head. Nose has wood, vanilla, bourbon, bready malts, nuts, caramel, toffee, cherries and plums. Barrels really tansformed this beer into something special. Thick creamy body. Simply superb, worth the price tag.

4.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 version. Poured from a 500 ml corked bottle into a stemmed chalice.

Appearance: Pours a dark and hazy brownish amber with a moderate amount of bubbles. Small off white head that quickly fades away.

Smell: A nicely boozy and sweet malty aroma with big hints of bourbon, caramel, and biscuit. Upfront barrel presence with good hints of bourbon whiskey, vanilla, oak, and wood. Toasted barley malt with good hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, butterscotch, yeast, and slight roast. Sweet hints of molasses and brown sugar. Earthy and floral hop hints. Dark fruit hints of cherry, dates, raisin, and fig. A really good complex aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a boozy, bready, and sweet malty taste with big notes of bourbon, caramel, and biscuit. Big upfront barrel presence with boozy notes of bourbon whiskey, vanilla, oak, and wood. Toasted barley malt with notes of sweet caramel and toffee along with some biscuit, butterscotch, yeast, and subtle roast. Sweet taste of molasses along with brown sugar. Some earthy and floral hop notes come through. Nice dark fruit undertones of fig, cherry, raisin, and dates. A great complex boozy taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a low to medium level of carbonation. Chewy, slick, and creamy. Has some alcohol heat as expected but it’s actually fairly smooth considering it’s 14%.

Overall: A really great take on a barrel aged stock ale. Big bourbon flavor with a great mix of toasty malt and dark fruit notes. Pricey but it arguable lives up to it.

4.74/5  rDev +9%

A- Dark hazy brown/red. Small off-white head quickly dissipates. Tons of alcohol on the glass.

S- Bourbon, raisins, vanilla. Some alcohol.

T- Vanilla, molasses, bourbon, toffee, raisin, fig, brown sugar.

M- Medium mouthfeel, hardly any alcohol burn. This beer is amazingly smooth.

O- I've been wanting to try this for a long time and it has definitely lived up to my expectations. Really shows how taking an already great beer and throwing it in a barrel yields phenomenal results. North Coast succeeds again with this bourbon barrel offering.

4.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

poured out of a 500 ml bottle in to a mug.
Nice cola body and mocha head that dissipates quickly
smell...well...bourbon.
taste...well...bourbon.
nice carbonation for such a heavy beer.
overall. really nice.. If you like a beer that tastes as advertised, this is it. I would drink again

4.73/5  rDev +8.7%

A- Pours a dark brown/crimson w/ a really nice two finger cocoa head. Really nice carbonation and decent lacing, w/ is understandable at 13% ABV. Excellent Old Ale.

S- Bourbon, malt, oak, vanilla, whiskey. The nose is fantastic, and just a smidge under a 4.5 score. If the smell was a little stronger, or more present, it would be there in a heartbeat.

T- All the nose present here, and wow- it's jacked up a notch too. Incredible bourbon/whiskey/port aftertaste that lingers for a long time. I really can't imagine an Old Ale being better than this- this is an experience that can't be put into words.

M- There's so much going on here, I'm at a loss for words. Super complex and simply amazing feel on this beer. My description won't do it justice... Period.

O- This is the best Old Ale I've ever had, and one of the better beers I've had. Simply put, you owe it to yourself to pick this one up if you see it- whatever the price. Cheers.

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

[edit] Last week I opened a 2005 version of this. Holy hell. My original review was: 4.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.0. This batch was one of the highlights of the day at a bit "rare" beer tasting. I enjoyed this immensely. I am ISO of another.

Kevin (kzoobrew) has been egging me on to try this for the past few weeks. I gave in tonight.

Just like to say I was on "facetime" with my brother-in-law and fellow beer geek while I was trying to open this and looked like a fool. The cork was freaking hard to get out, haha.

Appearance - Pours into my badass Surly Darkness tulip with a dark mahogany color. When held up to the light there is just a hint of light that gets through. About half a finger of tan head is achieved with a moderate pour, and dissipates relatively fast leaving slight lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Wow. Bourbon, oak, heavy vanilla, toffee, molasses. This thing smells great.

Taste - Even better than the aroma. As I sit outside, out of the rain in Southern California, and in 40 degree weather, I can't help but think this beer was meant to be drank tonight. Just loads of vanilla up front which melds with the oak and bourbon. A thick sweetness comes through, tasting of caramel, slight bittersweet chocolate, and toffee. This beer tastes freaking great.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel, medium to lower carbonation. Appropriate.

Drinkability - Well damn, for how high ABV it is, and how "fresh" I opened this bottle, I could drink this all night. I am very impressed by this. Yes it cost a freaking ton, but I am glad I have another. Surprisingly easy to drink, surprisingly worth the cost. Well done.

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 poured into a snifter

A - light head dissipates completely, but there is a very interesting continuous bubble flow.

S - Awesome sweet smell of candied fruit, maybe apricots.

T - Very smooth with no bite and lighter flavors of the nose, with maybe some raisons.

M - Light, nice.

O - What an awesome smooth sipper.

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance- dark brown to dark copper with rapid fast carbonation off the first pour, head quickly fades,

Smell- very sweet malty nose, loads of vanilla and oak with slight touch of bourbon, raisins and sweetness present very strong on nose, enticing smell

Taste- wow really unique flavor on this beer really like nothing I have ever tasted before, just really rich and sweet malty ale, tons of vanilla and caramel being pull in off the oak, bourbon flavor is there but really more of the vanilla and sweetness really pushing through from the oak, very enjoyable long malty finish, just extremely complex with so much going on, reminds me in some ways of a fine 10 plus year tawny port just so rich and delicious

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with light carbonation after its original opening, good smooth mouthfeel

Drinkability- Really scary drinkable, the alcohol is just so well hidden and integrated into this beer, its really like I said an extremely unique beer that is like none other I have ever had before, really reminds me of a fine port or desert wine in alot of ways, a master piece of a beer to me that actually lived up to the high price, one to search out for sure,

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

Very pretty 500ml corked & caged bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours a rich, translucent brown, almost like maple syrup. I managed a finger or so of head, with very little retention or lacing, which is not surprising given the abv.

S - Plenty of bourbon to go around here, but not so much that it comes across as boozy. Brown sugar and toffee, some vanilla, and a slight nuttiness. Excellent.

T - Vanilla wafer, almond, toffee, and bourbon immediately jump out at me. The bourbon is exceptionally well-integrated, at once both obvious and subtle. I was going to mention peanut brittle but I've seen creme brulee in some other reviews, and that sums this up perfectly. Awesome tasting brew.

M - Great carbonation, with a rich, creamy feel. While it's a very strong beer, at over 13%, there's little to no burn.

D - It's always tough for me to rate a beer this strong highly in the drinkability category, but this one deserves it. I could go on drinking this until I fall over. And then drink some more from a sippy cup. The only problem is...

O - ...is the price. This is a phenomenal beer, and I'd love to have more of it. But at the price, I doubt I'll buy more than another one or two. Even at the lowest price that I've seen of $22, it's hard to swallow. Then again it's probably the closest I'll get to the brandy version from a few years ago, so I might grab a few more.

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

500 ml C&C bottle served in a Founders tulip. 2009 Cellar Reserve.

A: Pours a semi translucent deep brown and ruby combination with a light tan head forming on the pour. It recedes quickly to a thin ring. No real lace left down the glass, but there are some nice legs.

S: This smells incredible. It is barrel forward with some charred oak, smooth bourbon, and semi-sweet caramel. Dark fruits, mostly raisin, but a touch of fig newton is also present. As it warms more of the bourbon comes out in the nose with a touch of alcohol.

T: Lots of great flavors going on. Definite oak character with some bourbon, residual vanilla and a definite caramel sweetness. Toffee with some fig and sweet malts. There is a slight nutty quality to it as well and it blends with the overall sweetness nicely. There is some definite heat hitting the back of the throat, but it's a subtle warming which is very nice.

M: Medium to full bodied with a medium/low carbonation level. A touch of warming down throat greets each sip.

O: This is a great sipper. I smelled this forever before I finally took a drink. I enjoyed this one immensely and it is definitely in the top five old ales I've ever had. The barrel is nicely integrated and helps create another layer of flavor that definitely compliments the base beer.

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

500ml bottle into a large wine glass. 2009 vintage.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one inch fizzy, popping light tan head that dissipates quickly. Pours a dark, semi-translucent red with many visible bubbles of carbonation climbing up the middle. Little to no lacing.

Smell: No effort required to take in a big, strong aroma from this beer. Bourbon, raisin, chocolate, toffee, and an interesting, uncanny aroma of birdseed. It smells like I could be in a pet shop or the grain section of a homebrew shop, and in both respects it smells comforting and good. The full, rich aroma of this beer only gets bigger (with some not unexpected booziness popping up after awhile) as the beer warms.

Taste: The first sip follows the smell almost exactly. Some rich, chocolate cake flavors quickly rise to the forefront. The bourbon influence reminds me of Bourbon County Stout.

Actually, a lot about this beer reminds me of Bourbon County Stout, all in good ways. The bourbon is deep but restrained; it doesn't feel like drinking bourbon flavored water like some BB aged beers, nor does it taste like drinking a spirit. In fact, the 13.16% ABV is felt only as a tiny solvent note in the finish and a long warmth in the chest.

After the bourbon, the flavors part ways with Bourbon County Stout, but match it in depth, complexity, and deliciousness. I can taste normal Old Stock underneath it all, with it's strong raisiny component, but there's so many more flavors, roasty and rich. The balancing act carried out by these bold, decadent flavors is outstanding.

Mouthfeel: At once on the light side of medium bodied but with a strong, creamy chewiness. For several sips it strikes me as distractingly overcarbonated, but the feel eventually balances out and is almost perfect. The "chewy" aspect of the feel never makes it all the way to "sticky". This is a bit hard to express, but it's a positive thing (it's not like peanut butter, it's like a thick but well-made chocolate cake--but light side of medium bodied... it's weird).

Drinkability: I normally keep price out of "drinkability", but paying $25 for a 500ml bottle makes me want to slam Old Stock Cellar Reserve for being so expensive... but I just can't. Frankly, I loved this beer. I was sad when it was done, and immediately wished I had bought more.

What can I say? $25 is just too much for a 500ml bottle of barrel aged old ale. There's no way around the fact that I would be significantly more comfortable paying $15 for this, and regardless of the cost to the brewery, I really can't condone the product. And yet... It's just so good.

4.71/5  rDev +8.3%

I brought this $23.00 bottle of beer home with me from a recent trip out to Southern California. For the price I paid, I'm expecting something pretty special.

A - All 16.9 ounces poured into the depths of a 36 ounce snifter. It has a light, airy, rather quick-lived, medium tan colored head that started out around 1.5 inches tall. It stalled as it began revealing the body at the surface. The color of the brew is a deep purple nearing bold brown. It does allow a bit of light through which aids in some of the different hues showing up. This is decent looker despite the fast paced and airy head.

S - Plum, alcohol, molasses, Worcestershire, banana bread, brown sugar, and a hint of bubble gum. The aroma is bold and doesn't leave much for assumption. The scent says if you're going to drink this, be ready.

T - The flavors are direct descendants of the aromas this brew offers. Pungent plum flavors, molasses, raisins, and hint of Worcestershire.

M - Certainly warming, this is to be expected with the ABV surpassing the 13% mark. There's also lightness to the feel that makes as if it's simply evaporating away right in my mouth and throat. It leaves a trace of stick along my lips and tongue too. Very nice feel.

~ The weightlessness of this brew makes for a very drinkable beer despite the huge ABV. While it is certainly that of the sipping realm, it goes down easily and without any coarseness. This is definitely a beer I will recommend to a friend. In fact, I brought one home for a friend. He has a birthday coming up, and this is his gift. We'll see if he reads this, if he does, no biggy, he'll still be pleased because the gift is not in the surprise with this beer; the gift is in the bottle. I say it's worth the price tag.

4.7/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to Kels for sharing. And huge thanks to sprinkle for putting this beer out on the shelves.

500ml silk screened bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle says 13.16% ABV.

A: Pours a bronzen ruby that glows in the light. Very little head on the pour with no retention and just the slightest wisp of lacing... Looks like lots of barrel aging.

S: Nice rounded bourbon with a good amount of added sweetness. Not really getting any vanilla sweetness like you'd expect. Nice caramelly malts with a bit of added depth of brown sugar or light molasses. Some danky wood but subtle.

T/M: Unbelievable depth... So much more than I expected. I also expected at least a bit of alcohol heat/punch/sting... Just rounded, smooth, warming alcohol. Great bourbon flavor that compliments perfectly. Much more barrel than expected and I think this adds a ton to the depth. Much much deeper malts with stronger molasses and even some light fudge notes. Sweetness isn't nearly as strong as expected but is balancing and comes in with lots of dark fruitiness. Body is about full and carbonation is smooth as hell.

D: Drinks far too easy for being as big as it is. I have to force myself to take small sips and make it last. I'm actually pissed I didn't just take this whole bottle from Kelley.

Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels) from North Coast Brewing Co.