Old #38 Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old #38 StoutOld #38 Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

53 IBUs

Added by kbub6f on 10-18-2001

Ratings: 1,252 |  Reviews: 663
1.43/5  rDev -62.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Black, thick body with some head that recedes over a few minutes. No substantial lacing.

S: A little bit of chocolate and coffee, but mostly roasted malts and... lentils. I just couldn't get past the smell. I've never smelled any beer like this before.

T: The roasted malts are way overdone and dominate the taste. Some grassy hops in the finish. Extremely weird-tasting, imbalanced, and it's hard to believe this is a stout. I must have gotten a bad one.

M: Medium-bodied with medium carbonation.

D: I don't even want to finish this. My first drain pour. The rest of the six-pack is going to be given away.

EDIT: I did give the other 5 away and got very positive comments. I have since realized that this bottle was oxidized, and I am going to buy another one and re-review it.

1.75/5  rDev -54.3%

1.86/5  rDev -51.4%

Source/Serving: Draft, on hand pump

Smell: Not very intense. Smooth, sweet cocoa and 'lite' creamed coffee.

Taste: Really light and creamy...pretty sweet with some cocoa from the nose. The only thing that keeps this from being a total bore is a mild fruity - though not great and reminiscent of a canned (straw)berry note in the middle that is unique. But, as it sounds not very tasty. A slight sour note appears as it warms. Finish is a little dark grainy, very smooth and doesn't linger but does leave a shadow of roast coffee behind.

Maybe the low score is just a sign that Irish Stouts aren't my thing??? But i'm still trying to judge to style....

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

2.28/5  rDev -40.5%

A - Poured black, but not a deep cloudy black that I would expect from a stout, created a tan head that disappeared quickly

S - Smelled some malts and coffee, brown sugar

T - Lots of roasted bitterness, some mild chocolate, some cream

M - I hate drys, so this isn't going to be good. The dryness hits the tongue hard, and its not pleasing, to me at least

D - Can't really go back for more, my buddy is on a quest to get me to like dry irish stouts, but it's not looking good

2.42/5  rDev -36.8%

Appearance: Nice black with a small light brown head, leaves some lacing

Smell: Funky sweet medicinal smell, I doubt its supposed to be like that. There is some roasted malt in the background, but the rest of the smell is covered up by the funk.

Taste: Just as funky and medicinal, but not as sweet. I can taste some good roasted malts in the background

Mouthfeel: Medium body with crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: Tempted to drainpour, but I will soldier on in hopes it gets better.

Overall, it looks like I got a bad bottle. Glad I only bought one, but I am sorely disappointed, as I was looking forward to this. Probably not going to try and find another. Side note, I did have a dunkelweizen earlier in the night, but I don't think that affected my palate as I cleansed it, and I smell the funk in addition to tasting it.

2.48/5  rDev -35.2%

A - light through the middle of the glass. Tight head.

S - very mild malts and a barley scent.

T - rather bland. Minor malts with a mild coffee bitterness, but mild.

M - tiny tingle on front of tongue.

D - nothing bad about it, but so mild that I do nor think that it OS worth it.

2.49/5  rDev -35%

Poured into a pint glass. Of the Irish Stout's I've had, this beer is the last opaque, as I could see through it when held to light. It has a small tan colored head. The smell appears to be great, and strong for the style. I can pick up milk chocolate with some coffee as well. The taste was almost repulsive. Initially there was a strong roasted flavor up front, and before the taste could settle in, the dry bitterness set in. I'm not sure what hops were used, but it left for a bad aftertaste. This one was close to a drain pour. The mouthfeel was decent: good carbonation yet a bit weak on thickness. Due to the bad taste, I cannot rate this beer high on drinkability, even with it's low ABV. I'm using this beer as a later drink in my evenings to finish off this six pack.

2.61/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured a clear dark brown with light amber highlights and a thick and sticky tan head.

Has a light and sweet and roasty malt odor.

Has a very acidic and bitter taste with some hints of smoke and cocoa.

Finishes dry with a cloying bitterness.

Not very good, a real let down as the first North Coast Beer I did not really like.

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

Beer served on nitro tap

2.66/5  rDev -30.5%

Basic stout pretty drinkable and to the point stout

2.68/5  rDev -30%

355 ML poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a dark brownish cola color and settled black with a few small tints of ruby here and there. Mocha colored head, one finger in height. Has good staying power until finally fading to film. Two finger height in swirling. No lacing.

S-- Roasted malts, chocolate and Carmel. Very soft smelling at first and flavors pick up more with air.

T-- Thin and watery taste. Bits of water, roasted malts, chocolate, and Carmel. Very watery up front.

M-- Medium carbonation and lighter feel. Small bit of watery gap in the mid palate but much better than the taste. Decent amount of sweet carmel, dairy milk and roasted malts in the back palate. Finishes dry and sweet with lingering sweetness.

O-- What beer lacks for in taste, it makes up for in feel. Easy to drink but in a way bordering more on a dark brown ale. Nothing too exciting but it is quite sessionable.

2.7/5  rDev -29.5%

Shared with a friend at a homebrew meeting.

A - Light chocolate head and light black in color. Dissipates fast.

S - Slightly peppery, with some smoke, and pineapple type hops.

T - Pepper, smoke, and the hops now taste kind of grassy.

M - Not greatly balanced. Mouthfeel fairly thin and syrupy.

D - Drinkable, but not great. Usually I have high praise for north coast beers.

2.73/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out like a typical Irish Stout, the black body with a tan thick head. The head had some pretty good retention and stuck around for a little while. The smell of the beer was of old leather and earth. Some roasted burnt notes as well. The taste was kind of metallic... Not really what I was thinking it'd be like. I was kind of turned off by the taste of this beer completely. Perhaps it was a bad batch but I just couldn't get over how much I disliked the taste of this beer. Everything else was pretty good here.

2.73/5  rDev -28.7%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Dark brown with ruby highlights. A half a fingers worth of light tan head and little lacing.

Smell- Boozy with a hint of malt.

Taste- Light taste of hops with a slight boozy flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and crisp. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall- Not good. I was hoping for better after I saw the BA score, but I was really disappointed once I tried it.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

The beer poured with a light brown foamy head. The color was dark brown with a slight reddish tint.
The smell was slightly roasty although it didn't have a lot of smell to it.
Taste was of roasty grain with a hint of coffee.
There was just a slight taste of hops in the middle and the beer finished with a metallic aftertaste.
I had a difficult time enjoying this beer due to the lack of smell and the metallic taste was a real turn off.

Old #38 Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.