Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale | North Coast Brewing Co.

Ruedrich's Red Seal AleRuedrich's Red Seal Ale

3.9

Ratings: 2,074 |  Reviews: 1,007
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +6.7%

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I remember liking this beer when I had it this past spring; I didn't know what to expect in a red ale, but the malt base was good, and I believe it had a little more character than an standard ale.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

To be sung to the tune of "Kiss From a Rose":

♫There used to be a sweetness missing from inside of me,
You became the taste and the flavor I need,
And beer remained a drink that's delight not a swill
When I consume, my smile blooms,
Your scent on my nose and the color you glow can't compare...

Red ale, I do pour you with a thrill at the end of the day.
Ooh, the more I drink of you the better I feel, yeah.
When your sweet smell fills the room,
Your taste lifts the gloom on the day.

(Oh it's beer, yes it's beer, oh red ale...)

While I'm no musician, some styles of beer just make me want to sing. Red ales are one of those styles... so when I saw Red Seal Ale from North Coast Brewing Company, I knew I had to give it a whirl. The beer has a non-presumptive label: "Water, Malted Barley, Hops, Yeast, & That's All." And I can't argue with that. It doesn't do anything fancy, which admittedly leaves with a bit less of an embodied taste than other creative and distinct reds. It's glory comes when you pour it in a pint glass: you know on the nose exactly what you're drinking.

I personally like my reds with a bit more creative zest, but there's nothing wrong with the traditional style this early 90s red ale exudes.

Best food to drink this with: Watermelon with a pinch of salt to bring out the flavor.
When to drink this: On a hot day, tending to your rose garden, when a pils just won't cut it.
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 kisses from a rose.

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

I remember drinking this beer in the 90s when I lived in NorCal. Glad I picked one up to rediscover. Light copper color, clear, an orange cream head that has excellent retention and sheet lacing. The aroma is orange, caramel malt, and herbs. The flavor has a bit of the herbal notes as well. Along with some malt and a bitter/grassy hops in the aftertaste. Medium body, dry finish, and very clean. Excellent beer overall.

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Comes in a lighter color than most amber/red ales, this one is like half pale ale and half amber ale. Good clarity. Solid 3/4" white head. Aroma was largely muted, some grain.

A clean malt bill that isn't bogged down by an earthy all red malt wooden profile. The hopping is good, before the lupulin threshold shift, this in the 90s was a decent hopped beer, today its kind of run of the mill.

Its an enjoyable beer in any era. There's bitterness, grapefruit and super mild citrus hop notes, good mild caramel and earthy malt grain/barley effect. Easy enough to drink.

3.96/5  rDev +1.5%

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear reddish-orange color with a finger of dense and creamy yellow-tinted head which lasts quite a while before leaving heavy lacing. Floral, orange hops in the aroma, continuing to the taste. Light to medium bodied, with a surprisingly creamy mouthfeel for the style. Mild hop bitterness in aftertaste. This was one of my favorites back in the day, but it's nowhere near as hoppy or robust as I remember.

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

Taste mostly makes me think of biscuits/bread, with just a little bit of hop bitterness on the tail end. The carbonation is quite tingly in my mouth. A pretty decent beer.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a more hoppy version of an amber but I'm obsessed because I also love IPAs. This beer is great with coffee after tones and a full bodied finish. I paired it with pretzels but what beer is not good with some salty pretzels.

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Clear golden red color, decent head and lacing. Malty smell, a bit bready. The taste is hoppy and a bit bitter. Nicely carbonated. A good beer!

3.94/5  rDev +1%

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I remember this brew from long ago, and it was nice to have one this afternoon. It had a real old school feel to it. Cool.

It's pretty enough to hold its own in the style that is the prettiest of all beers. The aroma is pronounced, unique, piney, and somewhaydeep and dank. The taste is a little dank and dark and hoppyto,balanced with nice malts.

This all sets down nicely and is pretty easy drinking. This was a nice blast from the part. Recommended for an old school hoppy red. The original American red ale.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.