Old Rasputin

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Old RasputinOld Rasputin
Notes: Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.
Reviews: 3,852 | Ratings: 12,721

I was looking for reasons to give this slightly less than 5 in at least one category, but I couldn't think of one. This beer is simply outstanding! It's absurdly well-crafted.

It's very complex. Every time I drink a bottle, I find something new to appreciate about it. The mark of a true world-class beer. The only other brew I can say that about so far is the Abt 12. (In my opinion, the best Belgian. If you like that style, there is no equal.)

I'm also impressed by the smoothness considering that it's 9% ABV. You'd never know it by the taste. It's full-bodied, without being too thick. There's the perfect level of creaminess that compliments the (predominately) dark chocolate, mocha, coffee flavors. This is one that you can still taste long after your last sip. It hangs on the palate, and with a beer of this high a quality, that's a great thing!

5/5. One of the best beers you can buy, and probably the best in it's style.

A finally crafted beer in every since. Gold standard in what a stout can and should be. McNeill's comes close, every one else is a far cry away. If you are rating this anything but a 5 you must've left the beer in your car on a hot day or simple have no clue. The over educated will talk about nutty flavors, mouth feel and top notes, blah blah blah. When anyone who drinks beer, drinks this, they know its damn good, period.

One of my favorite beers. Dark look, tan head, beautiful lacing. Smells of chocolate and coffee. Taste of hints of chocolate, strong coffee, and roasted malts, bitter, but a dynamic taste. This isn't a beer you are going to chug, but one you should enjoy over an evening. Complex and beautiful. Don't rush it, enjoy each sip.

Its the best imperial stout ive tasted. Its even more amazing and smooth and creamy on draft. I only buy this beer for drinking at the casa. Ive tried other stouts and some are good but nothing really comes close. I even bought an Old Rasputin shirt im wearing now lol. Imperial stouts are way better than milk stouts in my opinion and if you try this one it will always be in your top 3.

Excellent dark beer. One of my favorites. Very smooth to drink, strong and hearty. Feels like you just had a meal when you drink a bottle. Tasting notes of chocolate and coffee.

The very first RIS I tried and I was hooked! It is the one beer I always try to keep in stock and if I was going to rate would always be in my all time top 10 RIS. I’m having one right now! Well Done!

Super solid Stout. Mild carbonation (you don't want a Stout fizzy anyway). Nice black color, with dark tan head. Chocolate, caramel, and roast is what I tasted. Just enough kick alcohol-wise to know you've got your hands on something. Great brew!!!!

A great overall RIS. Quite possibly the benchmark for American brewed Russian Imperial Stout.

It pours as black as a Siberian moonless night. Excellent balance of chocolate, coffee, raisin and cocoa. Comes on bitter but finishes smooth, creamy and malty. Excellent full flavored Stout.

Had from a bottle.

I tried this at the local beer joint. I rated it at 95% and then checked beeradvocate and found that everyone else voted 95 also. Good to know that I know what makes a good beer.

This is a smooth, darker beer that is frankly delightful. I really don't even know how to describe it because I'm not much of a connoisseur (yet) but it's easier/lighter to drink than a Guinness but doesn't sacrifice any of the flavor. Just do yourself a favor and try it.

Drank cold from regular glass poured from bottle.

Look: Very dark brown/black with red tinges on the edge. Pretty large, tan colored head (medium pouring) with lots of lacing. Head lasts a few minutes then dies down.

Smell: Malty, slightly boozy smell with roasted coffee notes.

Taste: Dark roasted coffee and bitter chocolate, molasses flavors. The 9% abv is pretty well masked, with the bitterness of coffee/chocolate and warming sensation of alcohol on the back of the tongue and throat on the finish.

Feel: Decently thick, it has a nice smooth mouth feel with slight carbonation.

Overall: Excellent stout, one of the best ones I've had. Will definitely be buying again.

Hands-down THE BEST Russian Imperial Stout in existence. Black. Thick. Rich. Boozey. Oily. Not much of a head. Would love to drink two but can't do it.

What's left to say about Old Rasputin that hasn't been said. Probably my favorite beer. There may be more obscure, fussier beers out there. But this one comes through time and time again. I like beers that have complex flavors fade in an out through the swallow. This one has all of that. Nice blend of chocolate, coffee, and fruit flavors. A great, classic beer that will never go out of style.

Pours very black - black enough to stop the winter sun - with a creamy, two-finger tan colored head. Strong dark-roasted coffee aroma and taste, finishing with notes of bitter cocoa and rye. No doubt their malt is kilned. Alcohol is well hidden by a caramelized, peppery, herbal bouquet. Subtle hints of sour fruit are in there somewhere. A very nuanced stout. Feels just like it looks: full-bodied and viscous with a mere touch of astringency. I can't find anything wrong with this beer. It has a legitimate claim to best in class.

My favorite beer. Dark, but beautiful. Like many Russian Imperial Stouts, it's high in alcohol content. That being said, it's awesome. For a craft beer, it's fairly priced. Definitely worth a try if you haven't!

WOW - the beer to end my search for the perfect winter beer. From the appearance, to the aroma, then the super smooth and flavorful taste, and a nice calm aftertaste - it's great from start to finish. My new favorite.

Serving type: 12 oz bottle

It's really dark, black essentially. It looks good. Smells toasty, coffee-like, nutty even. Smells great. Amazing really. Tastes as it smells, toasty roasty coffee goodness, slightly sweet maltiness, with a small alcohol burn at the end. It tastes pretty great. Very thick feeling with moderate carbonation that gives the beer a pleasant creamy feel.

I love this stuff. Will definitely be buying more for years to come.

Update 9/29/16
Still buying 4 packs of this on a monthly basis. Quite literally the best Russian Imperial Stout on the market, available year round and found easily.

A - Pours an oily jet black with a finger and a half of tan, creamy head with swirls of white cream within, nice thick whispy lacing.
S - Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, slightly smokey, roasted malts and an interesting, freshy earthiness.
T - Absolutely delicious, but be sure and let it warm up a bit first. Malts, coffee, slightly chocolate, quite sweet, a little bitterness at the end. Full bodied and very smooth and creamy mouthfeel.
O - A damned good, 5 star stout. A real treat for a cold autumn or winter day.
V - Quite hard to find and expensive, but must be experienced at least once within your life time.

My favorite beer on the planet PERIOD...... Everything about this beer is top notch. I was fortunate enough to work for a distribution company that carried North Coast products. One taste of Rasputin and I was hooked. My only issue is that it only comes in 4 packs :)

A perfect example of the style... It is what I compare all other RIS's to. Not sure why this isn't rated even higher, but it doesn't require a harpoon and large fishing vessel to land.

so close to perfect. It's dark and complex, bitter, good mouth feel. Some day I would like to make a beer very similar to this one. I don't expect anyone to improve upon it. Oddly enough I don't like anything else I've had from this brewery.

Tried this a few months ago and couldn't believe what I was tasting. High alcohol level , but you barely notice this over the great flavour.

I can't find it in the summer months, so I'm waiting for the fall to stock up.
This is everything a stout should be - the platonic ideal stout!

Visual - A dark, jet black color with creamy mocha head.

Aroma - A very pleasant earthy roasted malt scent with hints of chocolate and espresso. It's incredibly alluring.

Taste - Flavors are strong coffee with mild sweetness, and a very bitter and slight alcohol aftertaste. It's a very warm and comforting taste that begs to be savored.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied with little carbonation. Incredibly smooth and creamy.

Drinkability - The perfect drink for cold weathers. Soothing and delicious.

Overall - The best Imperial Stout I've had. Excellent in all aspects for a good beer.

Wow this beer was ineradicable! If you are reading this, STOP, go buy this beer now. Full of flavor, chocolate, coffee, and deliciousness. I will be going to get a case of this tomorrow. This is almost as good as Yeti.

I have to say, I love beer that fills the pallet. If I can see through it, I may not want to try it if I'm not familiar with it. My first experience with Imperial Stout was not a pleasant one. It was harsh and bitter. I shied away from such things until I discovered Old Rasputin. It's not harsh at all. I fills the pallet with all the flavors and notes I enjoy. It's not a beginners beer by any means. You have to really love the fullness and complexity that comes with such brews. It's not something I could drink one after the other for extended periods, but prefer to alternate between this and 90 Minute Imperial IPA from Dogfish Head.

Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 96 out of 100 with 12721 ratings