Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Reviews: 3,634 | Ratings: 11,854
3.98/5  rDev -7%

Mahogany colored with highlights, tight head doesn't budge in the snifter glass. Good lacing, but it's gone by the time this big beer is.

Aromas of chocolate, slightly roasted but not as dark as some. Tiny whiff of coffee. On the tongue it's very hoppy and bitter while also bringing loads of chocolate sweetness.

Somewhat chewy and full, but not quite the best - very little carbonation, which is fine, but it might help cleanse the palate of the harsher aspects of the brew.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Pours like a thinned out motor oil. Into a mini snifter. Nice foamy head, good lacing. Smells of bitter roasted coffee, charred chocolates and burnt vanilla/sugar cookie. Coffee very upfront on taste, warming bitterness to it. Smokiness comes out as it warms. I'm growing into liking coffee being heavily present in a non BA RIS. this is pleasant, not like my first experience with this several months back, I remember thinking day old Hardee's coffee would be preferred over this. Feel is a bit thin for my preference, still pretty close to being really darn good tho. Overall it's a 4 for me, which is saying a lot by my ratings, I tend to stay away from 4+ on most beers, just overly critical I suppose. Got a good local source to keep this in rotation.

Oct 16, 2009

12oz. bottle. Pours black with a nice brown head which retains down to the bottom of the glass. Lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma is big roasted malts.

Flavor of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate with a dry, bitter finish.

Rich, creamy, and smooth mouthfeel. A bit of alcohol bite, and an excellent overall Russian Imperial Stout.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

A - Pours a deep black with an out of control foamy latte head.

A - Blast of hops - not sure what kind, but a softer C-hop variety, I guess. Then there's some roasted malts warning me of what's to come.

T - When it's cool I pick up the hops, just like I wanted to. Good, they're zesty. I hear American varietals were used, I don't mind that.
When the beer is warm enough to be enjoyed: sweet, smooth malt. Kinda tastes English. It's very flavorful, but not overly sweet or roasty. The finish has some bite to it.... acrid towards the end of the beer. Other than that, it's not overly interesting. I don't think it's too young, I just think this a tame beer. Some heat at the end makes the beer fun.

M - It's smooth and full-bodied. The beer doesn't weigh you down, though. Plus the finish is dry. Definitely Chico.

O - This beer drinks tooo easy. On the one hand, it's nice having a 9% behemoth just glide away. On the other hand, I wish there were more of interest in this beer. Maybe I'm spoiled, but for as taut as this beer is, I wish there were something more to it. I think the yeast is too boring, the crystal malt could impart a little more pit-fruit flavor, and the roasted character could be a slightly more aggressive.

Sure, for anyone like me on a seasonal Doppelbock binge right now, this will compare to a bull out of the pen. But as far as RIS's go, its tame than usual.

Fine beer. It leaves a hoppy-acrid linger at the back of my palate that not other beer will match for a long time to come.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

A - Poured a dark, espresso color. Very deep brown with a slight head.

S - Very strong smell of toasted malts. A very apparent alcohol smell as well.

T - Slightly astringent taste when it initially hits your mouth, followed a bitter aftertaste. The taste of alcohol is also very strong. A slight taste of burnt malts comes through as well.

M - Astringent, not overly carbonated, but definitely tingles your tongue.

D - At 9.00% ABV, its more drinkable than World Wide Stout, but still not something you can drink on a daily basis. Good beer to complement a desert, although will likely overpower many meals.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Suprisingly had my first Old Raspy ever on 10/9/10.

Appearance, Love a good stout, deep, dark, and not transparent. Nice and black with a tan mocha head.

Smell, great, very balanced smell, coffee, chocolate, and nice dark malts.

Taste, great RIS, very balanced with nice complexity and not overly sweet or cloying.

Mouthfeel, medium bodied but not a full as I would like, a touch thin, still a very good RIS.

Drinakbility, yes, I could definately drink a few of these easily in a sitting, however at 9.5% I dont recommend it.

A classic widely available RIS, a must try!

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

S = Chocolate and toffee with some roasted malts in the background.

T = Big bitter chocolate flavors upfront with the coffee bitterness coming through near the end. The finish was slightly bitter which balanced out the chocolate maltiness.

MF = Thick, heavy body with carbonation being fairly low. Super creamy.

Overall, this is one incredible RIS. The flavors are bold, yet, not overpowering. Highly recommend.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours the color of used motor oil, nice fluffy brown head that settles slowly into a cap. The aroma is of dark roasted coffee, bittersweet chocolate, burnt wood, and a touch of grape sweetness. All big and bold. The flavor is of freshly ground coffee beans, roasted chocolate, some smoke/burnt wood, vanilla and rum notes, and bad vodka?. The feel is a bit harsh for my liking. The body is nice and chewy and there is a nice smoothness to it but there is also a raw booziness that I am not fond of. Not a red wine booziness but hard alcohol booziness. Like I mentioned before, kind of reminds me of bad vodka out of a plastic jug. Definitely a big and bold RIS, great roasted malt and chocolate malt flavors but the hard booziness is getting to me a bit.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

A- Deep brown with a light tan, almost airy head

S- Chocolate and roasted malts, a bit of coffee, not nearly as strong as the taste would have had me think!

T- Full! Caramel malts up front with the coffee and hops lingering -- long aftertaste but not it's not bad at all

M- Not full or creamy as you'd think... almost light really and that's surprising

D- Drinkable-- like it a lot and the fullness of the flavor is pretty great but the mouthfeel just kinda kills it for me

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours black with a creamy light brown head, 2 finger height on the head tho I did pour it aggressively. 4

Aroma-roasted coffee, hint of vanilla, brown sugar, slight toffee, overall smell is kinda muted. 3.75

Taste-milk chocolate, light coffee, roasted malts, mocha, slightest hint of vanilla and toffee. Taste follows the scent, which is kinda middle of the road for a RIS. 4

Feel-thick & full bodied, some carbonation, coats mouth evenly, bitterness finally sets in. 4.25

Overall-I guess I would have to say I'm underwhelmed by this beer, it has everything a RIS needs but doesn't go beyond the normal. It is available year round and at a very attractive price. However, I don't think I would go out of my way to purchase this again. 4

Shared a bottle with my Brother. No date on bottle

A: poured moderately into my Guinness glass reveals a huge tan head that sticks around for the entire experience. swirling it around a bit gives you just an idea how thick this beer is. it sticks to the sides of the glass like glue

S: Roasted malt and coffee. Acidic.

T: Roasted malt/coffee upfront with chocolate near the end but then things get really bitter with the hops. This beer really kicks your ass.

M: very thick. almost like a beer concentrate, yet dry finish

D: A good sipper, not one Id drink repeatedly.

Reviewed from Notes

12oz bottle into a Duvel Tulip

A: black-brown body with a 1" off white head, a bit of lacing, but head retention was minimal

S: decent, chocolate, coffee, roastiness...not as roasty as other RIS, I pick up a bit of citrusy hops as well

T: not overly complex, but gets better as it warms, coffee, chocolate, dark fruits- plum...this doesn't quite do it for me. It's good (especially for the price), but drank this the night after a Stone RIS and the two just don't compare. Stone kicks this beers a** by a wide margin.

M: thick, but not overly so. good, not great for a RIS (I prefer them viscously thick).

D: I don't crave another one, which given the alcohol is not that bad a thing, but this doesn't make my best of style....

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Very good stout. Probably a notch below my favorite Guiness Foreign Extra Stout. The look is black with brown head that dissapates. Smells like dark chocolate, cigar and toasted bread. The taste is thick and similar to the smell-dark chocolate tobacco, but with a nice hop bitterness that is very balanced.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a solid black with a huge fluffy tan head that sticks around forever. Smells of roasted malt dark fruits chocolate, toffee, and a touch of alcohol. Spicy earthy hop in the aroma as well. Taste is heavy coffee, espresso, chocolate, and dark fruits. Leaves a slight ash and slight alcohol in the finish along with a lingering roasted bitterness. Medium to thick body and finishes a bit dry for my taste. Creamy smooth mouthfeel with light carbonation. This one tastes and smells great, but I found it to be a little light in body. 9% alcohol is well hidden and this is a dangerously drinkable stout.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

appearance: i think i can see through it but thats my mind playing light tricks again. orangey-mocha head with remnants of carbonated activity on the surface. probably has some bubbles in the body.

aroma: chocolate syrup malt and wood. surprisingly light in the nose and this lessens my fear of such a monster brew.

mouthfeel: wow. tingling from what appears to be hops, powerful cringing bitterness from dark roasted coffee grounds. nutty. sweetness and tartness back it all up and add balance. alcohol becomes noticable in the taste after a few sips, definitely unwelcome. strongly flavored with little-to-no lingering obscenity or bitterness that i would associate with spoil.

delicately balanced, a true achievement.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a deep brownish purple, almost black. One inch tan head fades quickly to a faint ring. No lacing.

Smells of chocolate, coffee, grape candy, powdered sugar, with a smoky undertone.

Taste of coffee, chocolate, candied jellys, burnt caramel, there is also a hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is thick with a carbonation bite at first becoming creamy.

Its drinkable and warming with good flavors but it doesn't beg you to take another sip. The mouthfeel does not work well with the flavors.

1.090 OG, 8.9% ABV.

An amazing beer, but only a good Imperial Stout when tasted side by side with Storm King and Brooklyn Black Chocolate. Instense, warming and full bodied (like it ought to be) it just wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. Check out my article on my mini Imperial Stout challenge which documents more fully my impression of this beer...

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I do love this beer. in fact, formative beer for me. however; ive tried blackout stout, I've tried expedition. to me, those two rate higher, even avery Czar. just not according to BA. still I respect this beer fully, one of the first imp stouts I've had

lot of bitterness, dark bitter chocolate, coffee beans, hops. creamy, bountiful carbonation. it is good, really good.

still, not my favorite! but a beer I'll still always come back to

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance: Like black gold, texas tea. This beer is black. At least 3 inches of head from the pour, quickly settles to some clump dark brown foam with good lacing.

Aroma: Smells of dark coffee. A slight burnt roasted character. Some chocolate and dark fruits (plums, dates, cherries). Alcohol is present and gives the aroma a sharp wineyness.

Taste: Good body. Malt is balanced by alot of bitterness. Hop bitterness is pervasive but some black malt character. Assertive is probably the best descriptor. Alcohol warmth was present but subdued.

Mouthfeel: One of the things I had a problem with this beer was the carbonation. I found it sharp and forced. It cut through the creamy malty taste and didn't fit my expectations. .

Drinkability: Not sure how RIS and Drinkability will ever go hand in hand. This 9% ABV beer is ean excellent winter warmer. Strong and balanced. One maybe two in the evening and life will be grand.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours with a huge, billowing head. Jet black and hard to see through. The head is cloudy with huge bubbles. It smells very chocolate like, with a little roasted flavor and earth. When you sip it sweetness immediatly fills your mouth, and coats your tongue. Almost too sweet for my taste in Imperial stouts, but nonetheless delicious and drinkable. Mouthfeel is very smooth and goes down easy. Not too thick. It is very inviting and you could drink plenty of it if it weren't for the high abv.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

This is one of those beers I have had lots of times, but never bothered to review. It poured into a mini Old Rasputin pint glass a dark brown, with ruby hues toward the bottom of the glass. Aroma was filled with milk chocolate, sweet bread and powdered sugar. Taste starts off rather sweet, with more of the milk chocolate coming through. Towards the end it becomes a bit more roasty and bitter, leaving a burnt coffee flavor on the palate. I would say the body of this beer is medium for an Imperial Stout. Alcohol does not seem prominent at all. A four pack of this brew did well for me. This is a great brew that is always reliable. Cheers

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours dark black with a two finger head that lingers longer than I had expected. This is partially due to being a little warmer than it should be, and a sub par pour.

Smell is fantastic. The chocolate is right there in your face without being overwhelming.

Taste is not quite as strong as other imperial stouts I've had. Very well balanced. A little bit of hoppiness. Aftertaste is all chocolate.

Mouthfeel is good. A little too carbonated for the style in my opinion.

It's incredibly drinkable for an imperial stout. The flavor isn't cloying, but it's too carbonated for me.

Overall a great beer. I'd definitely buy it again. A great nightcap or first beer of the night.

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter - Fridge temp - 2008

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color with absolutely no highlights. The head rises 1/2" and is light brown in color. A tiny bit of lace remains after the head recedes calmly.

Smell: Heavy malt aroma and plenty of dark fruits. Cherry, plum, apricot and raisin. There is also a sweet chocolate aroma, almost like chocolate milk.

Taste: Subtle flavors of milk chocolate, roasted malt, licorice and coffee. Slight hop addition gives some IBUs. Nice balance, but not overly complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavily bodied, ample carbonation, and a lot of RIS qualities. Belly warming alcohol, ample sweetness.

Drinkability: A decent brew. I expected more based upon word of mouth, but am left wanting more complexity. At least its not cloyingly sweet.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

This is the last bottle of a 4-pack that I bought about two years ago. Why am I just now drinking it? Because I hated it then.

Pours with very little head, the beer is dark brown, no lacing. Smells roasty and chocolatey, some vinous notes.

The taste has really dried out. Slightest touch of oxidation, roasted and chocolate malt. Mouthfeel has thinned, but is still chewy. Highly drinkable.

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%

Serving date: 2009-01-16. Served in snifter.

Presentation: 355 ml bottle with nice, and quite freaky, artwork on the label: A picture of one of history's most enigmatic and mythical persons, Grigorij Rasputin, surrounded by a quote in Russian (haven't been able to figure out what it says, though).

Appearance: The pour is jet-black with a 2 cm brown head that settles rather quickly, leaving a brown coat over the beer. Small but thick lacings sticks to the glass. I love how the beer reacts when I swirl the glass, it just keeps reproducing a small but dense coat of brown foam.

Smell: A very prominent character of roasted barley. Aromas of coffee and dark chocolate are there as well. The smell is slightly bitter as well. Overall, this one has a rather sharp and robust profile, regarding smell.

Taste: A big and bold taste of roasted barley is coupled with bitter chocolate and notes of coffee. Some sweet flavors are present to. It has a significant hop character, with a nice and sweet malty background. The finish is a nice mixture of bitter hops and sweet chocolate. It hides the alcohol very well, considering its strength.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, full-bodied and medium carbonation.

Drinkability: This is one big imperial stout. A very good beer with a powerful and aggressive profile, pleasant aromas and nicely balanced flavors. Highly recommended.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.