Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,159 |  Reviews: 3,711

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Very dark black, completely opaque, with no hints of color on the fringe of the glass. Tan head that has moderate retention, but beautiful lacing.

S: Cherry, plum and walnut aroma. Dark roasted malts and charcoal. Alcohol phenols.

T: Roasted malt, with dark chocolate and cherry. The secondary notes are of espresso, chocolate and beautiful american hop balance, that creates this bitter, yet sweet harmony. Dry and warm finish.

M: Medium body with mid to low carbonation. Alcohol warmth and distinct bitterness.

O: A fantastic RIS. It became more sweet and syrupy as it warmed up. I would definitely recommend this beer.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A cellar temperature bottle is poured into a small snifter. The liquid is an opaque, deep brown color. The head is foamy and also brown. An impressive coat of foam and film is left behind as I swirl the beer around the glass.

A malty nose contains notes of dark chocolate and coffee beans. It is more sweet than bitter, but I wouldn't call it a sweet smell--it's more complex than that.

The taste of this beer closely mirrors its aroma. There is a powered milk chocolate taste initially. Weak coffee and dark chocolate flavors appear in the middle, before I swallow. Some bitterness appears as the beer is consumed. Some alcohol is also present at this time. The aftertaste isn't my thing; there's too much of the alcohol and coffee bitterness for me (obviously, I'm not a coffee drinker).

The mouthfeel is very impressive, considering this is a 9% ABV beer. It is a little sticky, but doesn't feel thick. Carbonation is at a good level. A little film is left coating my mouth, but it isn't as large as other beers in this style.

This is a pretty drinkable RIS. It is not overkill to purchase and consume this by the four pack. A bottle or two would be great to accompany a meal (or dessert) or on its own. The fact that this beer is readily available year-round makes it a good go to RIS.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A Black black black with a very healthy mocha colored head.

S Chocolate and some hops

T Bitter chocolate and coffee. The roast lingers for a while finishing with a slight bitterness. Very roasty

M Creamy goodness.

O A classic RIS. Solid beer. Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

When I poured it into a typical pint mug, this beer instantly excited my eyes. Beautiful dark liquid with a thick tan head. The first taste packs a punch and dares you to take a second. I find a taste reminiscent of a smooth espresso drink. I have to admit, the alcohol taste is quite strong in this drink for me. I would really approve of the taste more if I couldn't taste the alcohol so much.

As I drank, the head stuck to the sides of the glass, which, in my opinion, shows character in a beer. Even as I finish the beer, I see where the head started at the top of the glass.

I have to admit, I'm still lacking in the smell department. I don't get the subtle hints that everyone else mentions. I'll continue to work on this ability.

I'm relatively new to the world of beer, but I've been keeping a ranking list for each new beer I try. I would definitely put this beer in my top 10 beers, and absolutely above all American beers I've tried thus far.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

This is a very nice beer!
Pours a dark, dark black - no light passes through. There is about an inch tan colored head to it.
There is the scent of coffee with hints of chocolate...same with the taste - coffee and chocolate highlights. There is a slightly bitter aftertaste, though that doesn't stick around.
Overall a pretty drinkable beer.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Bought a 4 pack about 4 months ago and I am on the third one and am finally around to reviewing it. This is a really good beer for the price and it can be found pretty much anywhere.

A- Poured into my Stone Russian Imp St. glass. Poured it hard to give it a 2" head. It hung around for a bit and then turned into a thick lacing for the rest of the drink.

s- smell is decent. Roasted malts and a pinch of coffee.

T- In my mind it tastes just like a good imp stout should. Strong taste of dark roasted malts. Somewhat bitter finish, but like a smooth coffee. Can't taste the Alcohol, which at 9% that is pretty good.

M- thick and creamy, but not too thick. Real nice.

D- Very good for the style. I could have 2 of these in a sitting. I would have a fat buzz though becuase I am feeling it a little after one.

Well done North Coast. Keep the price right and I will make this one of my go to RIS's.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

After drinking the XII version a while back, picking this up was a no-brainer - especially as I found it at $9.95 for a four-pack in a Victoria government liquor store (sometimes the darnedest beers turn up in BC).

This is my third bottle. Anxious about reports of a non-existent head, my first bottled was poured from 6 inches with vigorous swirling, and I ended up with the stout equivalent of an Ibiza Foam Party. This third bottle was poured on the cautious side of usual, but still produced a thick three inches of head that diminished to half a finger that stayed throughout. Lacing is thick and permanent, and it looks beautiful for it.

This smells lighter than many imperial stouts (Peche Mortel and XII are my benchmarks, however, and they are very robust) and yeast is prominent. As well as familiar burned tones, there's a deep woody odor reminiscent of an old school desk.

It's more effervescent than other RIS I've had, which explains the head. It really blooms in the mouth -- which is a bit too much at first, but it settles down after a few sips. The taste is sensational. It is very bitter, but more charcoal than hops. It avoids the sweetness many RIS ride upon, delivering 75% cocoa chocolate, powerful molasses, and baking-soda astringency.

The beer is far less complex than the XII, which makes me reflect on how beautiful that beer really was. But at this price, this is a sensational RIS that makes no mistakes. I will buy a lot of this, especially as Peche Mortel is all gone and Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Imperial Stout is harder to come by in BC recently...

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours an opaque plum with a fluffy finger of chocolate head and a sheet of fine lacing that glitters down the side of the glass as it's drunk, leaving minuscule traces of where it's been on the side of the glass. The head disappears in the first few minutes and leaves a very still top with wisps of chocolate foam on the top. Very fine carbonation bubbles can be seen near the top of the pour going into the head. Not half bad for the ABV.

Smell: Smells dark, with dark chocolate, wood, smoke, and earth notes. Slight cherry and raisin notes, along with a hint of anise and vanilla syrup. A bit metallic.

T: Dark fruits tempered with heavy coffee and a roasted nutty flavor along with burnt toast. Initially quite hot and with coffee and hops aftertaste. Creamy and slightly minty and sweet as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Very light and fine carbonation bubbles in a very heavy beer. Nice and creamy.

Drinkability: Not awful, but I didn't like this one as much as i would have expected to.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

poured into a glass it has a large brown/almond colored head that slowly goes down. the beer itself is extremely dark, even when held up to light. There is a roasted coffee aroma, that for me is faint, but might be stronger than i can tell. The taste follows the aroma. There is a coffee taste, with a slight bitterness. The stout has a nice medium body that is nice on the finish. This stout is very smooth and easy to enjoy.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Can't recall how many times I've had this, probably a few dozen. This review is based on a recent visist to Spring Street bar in downtown Los Angeles.

A: The beer pours jet black, with a large two inch of solid cream nitro head, that sat on top like a ice cream float.

S: Roasted malt, molasses, licorice, coffee and dark choclate.

T: Some bitter dark choclate, sweet roasted malt and mollasses, and mild charred coffee.

M: medium mouth, well carbonated due to the nitro pour, creamy, and smooth.

O: Great quick pint this day. The beer is a bit different out of the bottle, Co2 draft, and nitro. Old Raspy is the staple and standard of the RIS for me, as it was the first I can remember that woke me up to just how simple the dry irish style of Guinness is in contrast, and how much more of a Stout, the RIS is.

look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours none more black with a thick and creamy tan head. Leaves a ton of lacing. Simply beautiful.

Smells strongly of coffee and chocolate. Hop presence found in the taste doesn't have much place here.

Tastes of..coffee, chocolate, and a nice bitter hoppy finish. This is definitely a hop-forward stout.

Thick bodied and medium carbonation with a warming sensation.

Very good, very easy to find, but as it warms the hops tend to overtake the other flavors making it more difficult to drink as I prefer hops take a backseat if any seat in my stouts.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A good Russian Imperial Stout, but not my favorite beer ever. Perhaps Russian Imperials just aren't my style. It's a good beer, but too maybe too rich for my blood, both in alcohol content and cost.

A - Pours a very dark brown that ends up black in the glass, topped by ample amounts of chunky caramel colored head.
S - Smell is complex, sweet with hints of burnt coffee, chocolate and a noticeable amount of alcohol in the nose.
T - The alcohol comes through in the taste but the chocolate, coffee and malt come along for the ride. In a way I felt like I was drinking a scotch or a bourbon. Nice, but if I want a glass of scotch I'll have a glass of scotch.
M - Mouthfeel is just about right for a big Imperial Stout. Heavy and full but not syrupy.
D - Too big to be really drinkable. A good imperial stout, but the taste wasn't my favorite and the amount of alcohol made this a special occasion beer.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

I found a recipe on Old Raspy and brewed it, so I decided to compare and contrast. And then compare. And then compare some more. The pour is a creamy with a very black color that when held to the light has a feint brown hue. A good mahogany brown head that is pretty soapy and good lacing.

The nose is rich with maltiness. Mostly a chocolate smell but some stronger astringent malts are present as well. Some coffee and a hint of caramel on the end.

The taste has a strong malt flavor. The astringency comes out stronger then the nose would indicate. A good bite that is enhanced with a light earthy bitterness. Bigger coffee notes but there are some lighter milky aftertones at the back end that kind of clash. I also picked up some roasted nut flavors.

The body is full but some of the milkiness brings it down a bit. Some phenolics are present, but not suprising with the high ABV. A viscous feel as well. Overall it's a good brew to clone and well worth to drink.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Black with a brown head and tons of lacing

Nose isn't too heavy, coffee cocoa, cinnamon and alcohol

taste is dried fruit, intricate espresso notes, chocolate with a bitter alcohol finish

mouthfeel is beautiful, silky and thick

a very nice imperial stout

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.