Old Rasputin | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old RasputinOld Rasputin
Old RasputinOld Rasputin

North Coast Brewing Co.

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 12,421 |  Reviews: 3,762
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. So, I bought a bottle, yanked my pint glass from the cabinet, and started the great routine.

A - Pours a darker-than-night black, with no light getting through at all. A nice, caramel-colored head sustained for a decent time before leaving a scattered amount sitting at the top... The lacing sort of dropped down, but a great looking beer, really.

S - Wow... lots of really nice scents. Mostly espresso, along with caramel and toffee.... some dark chocolate and a slight booziness are there, too, but not at the front of things. Welcoming.

T - Wait... where did that berry-like start come from? It wasn't in the nose at all! Don't know, but it didn't last long, as the aforementioned espresso took control of the show. Nice, sweet, and bitter all at once. Seriously, it tastes like berries dipped in mocha. Nice combinations. Finish is clean, along with the aftertaste of coffee. Goes down easy... tiniest hint of alcohol.

M - Nice, creamy body with a really warming finish. This is a great beer for winter, and Missouri is starting to cool down... so, yeah, I'll welcome that. Carbonation was a bit too sharp for a beer in this style, I think.

D - It tastes really good, but I never considered imperials to be very drinkable brews... especially the heavier ones. 9% ABV ensures that a couple will be a good bet for relaxed nights.

Overall/notes: I've heard a lot about this beer, and all positive. Doesn't really disappoint! I once had this... It was a long time ago, before I had any sort of experience with stouts, and "good" beer was a relatively new experience. Couldn't stand it. Couple of years later, and here I am, drinking it down and enjoying the evening. Experiences like these are great reminders of how far my palette has come!

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

From a bottle into a tulip: nearly black, no light getting through. molasses, toast, vanilla, on the nose. Taste follows: malt forward, vanilla, molasses, tobacco. An excellent imperial stout!

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Reviewed via notes from a while ago.

Appearance - Pours out black as night, very similar to the used Mobile 1 5W-30 drained from the SpdKilz TT Z06 after two thousand miles! Less than a finger of head that is mocha in color. Amazing lacing - stays the entire drink.

Smell - Immediately I am struck by the coffee sent. I smell some dark fruits (cherries) in my nose also - though not much. A lingering alcohol smell is notable also.

Taste - Like I am drinking a bitter coffee with semi-sweet chocolate/cocoa. First sip is hard for me to handle (for the first ever one - subsequent Old R's I'm prepared for and enjoy the first sip greatly). The alcohol is present but is not a put off and is not prevalent with the initial sip - more of an after "thought."

Mouthfeel - Quite thick - decent amount of carbonation. This is a very heavy beer and is almost syrupy (but not quite).

Drinkability - Don't think I could have more than two of these in a sitting but at 9% abv that should create a quite nice feeling for me. Overall quite drinkable and again, not a session beer but I can't wait to enjoy this when the California nights turn a bit colder during fall. For now I have to settle for the summer heat outside.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Look: Black, with a mocha brown head, and good lacing

Smell: Coffee, dark fruit, toffee, and a touch of chocolate

Taste: Up Front: Roasted malts. Finish: Dark fruit, alcohol, espresso

Mouthfeel: Full body, rich and creamy, with low carbonation

Drinkability: Very good considering the style

Overall Impression: At one time this was my favorite R.I.S. What can I say, it still kicks ass!

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours an opaque mahogany color that produces a nice rich ruby/brown head that dissipates verrry slowly and leaves a brown lacing

S: The nose is bitter right off the bat with burnt malts, bitter-sweet chocolate, coffee, molasses, cocoa, hops and espresso

T: Much hoppier and bitter than I expected. Huge roasted notes, chocolate, coffee, caramel, molasses, and burnt malts

MF/D: Super chewy, oily, silky, creamy, and just delicious.

A little bitter for me, but those who love hops will love this one

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A-Very dark brown with a merangue-like three fingers of dark tan head that leaves fine lace on the glass.

S-Sweet and smoky burnt maltiness,faint lemongrass hops and cocoa.

T/M-BIG toasted malty chocolate and mocha coffee flavors with a decent bitter hop bite to balance.Warming alcohol in the finish.

M-Thick and chewy,very creamy.

D-One of my faves especially around the holidays.Very well made,worth eleven bucks a 4-pack.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Thick, coffee ice cream-colored head that sticks around for a while. Espresso-dark and thick - coats the mug nicely. Mild, dry aroma with toasted-burnt but pleasant crispy malt. Taste is very dry with slight bitterness on the palate. Deep, dark roasted backbone that's very warming to the senses. Strong espresso roast tones. Slight metallic aftertaste (packaging?). No overly alcoholic flavor - this is very well balanced. This stuff coats the mouth - even though it's a little dry and bitter at times it's very thick and soothing. Very well-made to enjoy in moderation.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

A- A muddy, deep pitch black coffee with a creamy mocha head.

S- Definitive coffee. Back tones of chocolate. Slight fruity smell with overtones of rosted malt.

T- Again, coffee. An earthy licorice rich with complex flavors. Strong aftertaste of cocoa. Hints of vanilla. A little too alcoholy.

M- Thick and creamy

D- Definitely a sipping beer. A good stout. Big, filling and thick. A good beer for cold weather. Strong on the back of the tounge with alcohol. Definitely have to drink it slow.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

This has so many reviews by now that I can't make any descriptions that haven't been repeated a hundred times already. So I'll just give my overall thoughts.

The first time I tried Old Rasputin I was in love with it. I was still very new in the craft beer world, and hadn't had many (or maybe any) of the top rated stouts in the world. Rasputin was an afforable, roasty, flavorful monster that I latched onto. Since then, I have had the pleasure of trying many gigantic imperial stouts and I no longer feel the same love for the Rasputin.

However, I still find it to be a very nice beer. Nice roastiness without tasting too burnt...not enough body to really make me happy but at least its not thin....awesome drinkability for a 9% beer. This is a beer that is perfect for beginners and still very good for veterans.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A: An aggressive pour yields a 1 finger, very dark head and a black body. Lace looks promising.

S: Dark malt that's mostly chocolate but with a touch of coffee grounds. Alcohol is fairly obvious.

T: Pretty sweet but a great flavorful blend. Molasses and chocolate assist a plum note and a touch of cinnamon.

M: Highly carbonated and the alcohol is noticeable. This is easy to drink although the finish is slightly sticky.

O: Loyal to the style, this beer is worth trying. Solid flavor blend with no real drawback other than a limited nose.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Finally had a shot at one of the legends so I had to take a stab at it. My first North Coast and not my last as their distribution is increasing in my area.

A: Pitch black with a nice mocha head that stuck around.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee.

T: Off the bat you get the coffee and chocolate but soon the hops take over (lacks balance imo), really socks it to you.

M: Good consistency and texture, nice sipping beer.

D: Good brew overall, but didn't quite live up to the hype surrounding it. I enjoyed it but the hops were just way out of balance and sunk it for me. I've just had better RIS's, but this is pretty unique so give it a shot if you can get it.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Very dark brown, with a nice tan, creamy head.

Nose is highly roasted malts with dark, dark chocolate, a little black licorice and some piney hops.

Taste very much follows the nose. This one is about the roasty, black malts and hops. Rasputin is more on the dry/bitter side for the style, not much sweetness here. The most impressive thing is the finish: bitter, roasty, earthy, piney, and high cacao chocolate.

Nice full body, without too much carbonation.

A classic big stout that is thankfully available year round. Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a stubby bottle with no freshness date, into a pint glass. Poured very dark brown with tan head that stayed around for a while. Strong scents of over cooked barley, dark chocolate and coffee. Strong coffee flavors some cocoa. Nice roasted after taste. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth. Alcohol is well hidden. Drinkable nature would be limited to one for me because of the strong flavor. Very nice sipper.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

It was difficult for me to figure out the "drinkability" score on this one. On one hand, it's not the kind of beer that I can see myself having every day, as it's a bit on the strong side, flavor-wise. On the other hand, when I'm in the mood for one, it's perfect. That's the trick I guess - being in the mood for one.

That said, this beer almost looks syrupy when you pour it into a glass. You definitely notice a distinct mouthfeel with it, as it's smooth and creamy.

The high alchohol content is not that noticeable, but this is the kind of beer that hits you from your tongue all the way up to the bridge of your nose.

For me, the perfect time for this beer is at night while I'm settling down and watching TV. It usually takes me about an hour to get through, as it's not the sort of thing that I could - or even want to - just pound down.

Oh yeah!

Poured out a nice solid black color with a tan head.

Smell consisted of lots and lots of coffee/espresso aromas. Roasted malts also come through. A hint of earth can be found in the background.

Taste was good. Big roasted malt flavors ride through the beginning and almost into the aftertaste. Some hops thrown in to balance it out. Big flavors in this one. The coffee comes through underlying the malts in the middle. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel was medium to full bodied. Carbonation was on the light side to make the flavors show up.

A nice evening sipper for sure. Didn't except to see the flavors to show so much muscle. A nice surprise.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.3 out of 5 with 12,421 ratings