Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,205 |  Reviews: 3,722

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This and "Celebrator" are the two finest beers known to man. Rasputin is pitch black. You would think you're about to down pure oil if the smell didn't hit your nose just before the liquid gold hits your mouth. It smells of smokey chocolate, hops and alcohol. This beer tastes very creamy, very complex. If my kid is ever diagnosed with a terminal disease and we get to go somewhere via the "make a wish" foundation, I'm gonna demand to see what the heck they're doing at Lost Coast with this brew. ....not really, of course. I'll let my kid go to Disney World or something. But I'll always wonder.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance-
Raspy pours black with a thick fluffy beige head. This beer laces like a champ! There were rings all down my glass! And, the ice cream soda looking head is going the distance! I’m almost done, with plenty of head left.

Smell-
There's a strong chocolate, cream nose.

Taste-
First there’s a rush of dark coffee, espresso, bitter chocolate, molasses, and burnt malt flavors. Then this stout finsihes with subtle hops and an INCREDIBLE cereal-malt-espresso aftertaste that lingers LONG.

Mouthfeel-
The mouth feel is silky smooth, with medium carbonation and a heavy weight on the tongue.

Overall-
This beer is OUT OF THIS WORLD. I would LOVE to find this stuff on tap! Easily, this is one of the absolute BEST crafted, looking, and tasting brew that I have ever come across!

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

An overall fun & outstanding experience with a pint glass of this renowned RIS.

A: Enjoyed this for my first time on a nitro-tap (I know, don't be jealous) at the West
Reading Tavern. The thick, creamy head settled itself into a two-fingered, pillowy soft
foam that lingered for the entire session. Black, dense, motor-oil appearance with a
pleasant "drink me" syrup viscosity. 4

S: Smoke, caramel, and malt. Very rich in the nose with a nearly buttery warmth - much like
the appearance, the nose of this brew begs a hearty quaff. 4.5

T: A burnt caramel front, melding with a back-end tobacco hint that finishes with a malty
flare. The place where this beer veered for me - not into anything even remotely
unpleasant, but just a slight let down - was at it's close as it warmed. Where the first
half of the beer, experienced at a pleasant just beyond cold temperature soared. I found that the beer took on a sour finish as it warmed. Not bitter - not deeper in it's malt character - just ... sour. Surprisingly, I found I wouldn't nurse this beer toward warmth in future pints, but would rather enjoy the full glass before it struck that final chord. 4

M: A beautiful aspect of this beer; it's heavy, dense, buttery soft feel in the mouth. From
start to finish, each sip is very easy - never touching on a place where the alcohol draws
on the mouth. It is one of the smoothest drinking RIS I've ever had. 4.75

O: This is one of those "kid at Christmas" beers. If I walk into a bar and see this on the
draught list, my excitement soars and my knees start to jump ... from first sip to last
(albeit a little faster "last" than on this visit), an exceptional brew! 4.5

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

EDIT: Updated review

Appearance: Just black with a one and half finger light mocha dense creamy head that lasted for a quite a while.

Aroma: Roasted and burnt malts. Dark chocolate and some coffee. And some dark fruits as well.

Taste: Dark roasted chocolate and coffee. Burnt malts. A slight of dark fruits. Nice bitterness throughout the flavors . Finish have a lingering roasted chocolate bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy bodied. Almost creamy but the carbonation feels a bit too much.

Overall: Even through the stout it's not as intense as I thought it would be (and as described on the bottle); it tasted good. I definitely would not mind having it again.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.