Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
94%
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 12,259 ratings
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,259 |  Reviews: 3,735
4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.09/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Thick, oily, and pitch black. Exactly what I'm looking for in an Imperial Stout. The head isn't as dark as I would like, coming in at a light tan color, but it sticks around in a pleasant ring all the way to the end. The lacing is to die for. Like spiders made sweet webby love in my glass.

Smell: Huge chocolate notes, mostly dark with a little bit of milk chocolate thrown in. Roasty, with a nutty warmth. Slight touch of alcohol

Taste: Lots of warmth from the alcohol. Roast, coffee bitterness. A different bitter note right as you swallow, like a black tea that has steeped too long. The nuttyness returns to sit on your tongue after each sip.

Mouthfeel: Thick, just the way it should be. The carbonation gives it a lively zip right at the end to keep things exciting.

Overall: This has quickly become my go to Imperial Stout. This is my first beer from North Coast, but if Old Rasputin is any indication, I will happily be buying more from them in the future. (4.25)

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(From notes)

A - 4.50 - good looking beer, pours very dark brown almost black, 2 finger solid tan head, dissipates down to a lumpy head with clumps of fine bubbles, very thick lacing

S - 4.50 - strong chocolate, coffee, little bit of alcohol, nutty-peanut buttery tones, other nuts

T - 4.25 - Mainly tastes chocolatey, with some coffee/espresso too. The nuttiness comes through in the taste too. Roastiness.

M - 4.50 - Heavy beer, thick frothiness from the carbonation, alcohol pretty much hidden, bitter roasted coffee aftertaste.

O - 4.50 - Great go to imperial stout. If I was going to introduce friends to the genre of Imperial Stouts I would start with this. The best Imperial Stouts I've had would be Stone's Espresso RUssian Imperial Stout and Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, and this doesn't make it up to their level, but it is a great value for the price! At 7.99/4 pack for a 9% ABV Russian Imperial Stout this is completely worth it.

3.87/5  rDev -10%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Okay, I love RIS. This pleased me in all categories. The only reason for not giving 5's is because this is my first RIP!

Color/visual: Black with 2 finger white lacing that slowly dissipated.

Smell: nice coffee, some chocolate, no remarkable fruits.

Taste: Decadent, hearty but not too thick. slight bitter at the mid to back of mouth/tongue(not unpleasant) but an awesome finish. The awesome taste got even got even better as it warmed!

I found myself savoring each sip and let it warm on my palate before swallowing. This was an experience for me. I am new to RIS, Is there any better than this??? Time will tell...going to the store tomorrow to pick up some more...MY #1 FAVORITE for now:) Thanks North Coast Brewing Co. for making my first RIS. A definite bar has been set.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had a bottle at Sampler BK into a tall tulip glass. No born on/best by date that I can find.

Deep black. No light penetrating through this even when held up to the sky. Slight head, that rather quickly dissipates, leaving some lacing around the glass. Nice aroma, predominantly coffee. Taste is pretty much along the same lines. Not a bad beer but I was a bit disappointed having seen the high score before picking this bottle up. Might be a great choice, if you're a connoisseur of the style, but for me it's just blah. Had better, had worse.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Old Rasputin on Cask at Flying Saucer Austin
North Coast BC
20130615
Goblet (13.5oz probably)

A - Sandy-tan head with great retention. Dark full brown color. Completely opaque.

S - Light coffee from roasted malt, cocoa, and an earthiness, I think leather. The alcohol is extremely well-hidden (in both smell and taste).

T - Follows smell, but the roast is gentler and more apparent, and there's some brown sugar like sweetness. There's some refinement but also some muddledness. I think I just don't like certain aspects of many stouts. There's some bitterness that is very dark chocolate like.

M - Full bodied but not very heavy. Very smooth, silky even. Heavy and a little chewy.

D - It's a sipper. Easy to see how people would love this beer a lot. I don't find it very complex, but there's quality; also my taste preferences differ from many others (I'm not a fan of roast).
4.75, 3.25, 3.75, 4, 3.5.
After some time (about 30 minutes) I taste some orange. The beer retains itself well and is still silky with no signs of alcohol.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 94% out of 100 with 12,259 ratings