Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
94%
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 12,259 ratings
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,259 |  Reviews: 3,735

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into my Duvel Tulip.
Took bottle out of fridge a good half hour ago.
Man I love this beer. A very very easy drinking 9% ABV Russian Imperial Stout.
I liked it so much I dont have any more to sip and make additional comments. Only bought a single in a mix-a-sixpack. Will buy a 4? or 6? pack next time I see it.

3.7/5  rDev -14%

4.51/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was very excited to finally try this beer. I've only within the last year really started drinking great beers, and have become quite a stout-head. This was a huge WANT for me, and finally found it at a beer deli last night.

A- Motor oil black. Poured from a bottle, left a lot of tan head that was thick and slow to dissipate. A ton of intricate lacing left on the glass

S-Strong coffee and roasted malt, with a backing of chocolate and alcohol. Everything an Imperial Stout should smell like.

T- Very strong coffee and chocolate, segwaying into a bite of hops and alcohol. The alcohol taste isn't boozy, but well balanced and leaves a nice warming sensation.

M- Almost milkshake thick. The warming alcohol gives a very pleasant mouthfeel.

Overall- Rarely does a beer live up to its hype, but Old Rasputin totally did for me. My only regret is that I wasn't able to have it on tap for my first time, as I'm sure that would only amplify the already awesome quality of this beer. Very highly recommend.

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Jet black with generous creamy head and lots of lacing left behind.

S - Absolutely delicious smell. Creamy, with chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt notes and a touch of alcohol at the end. If this beer followed the nose, I think I'd have an all-time favorite.

T - Starts with heavy roasted malts and black coffee notes, followed up with alcohol, dark chocolate, and finishes with a pine hop punch. Reminds me somewhat of a thin mint for some reason. Must be the chocolate and pine. Pretty good, but surprisingly...not my favorite imperial.

M - A lot of carbonation. Heavy mouth feel. While I typically enjoy less carbonation in my beers, I still found this to be a worthwhile experience. I've heard this beer described as a fine representation of the style, so if nothing else, try this beer for that reason.

O - Enjoyed it. I think I'd absolutely love it on draft, and will look to do so in the near future. For a bottled imperial, I was mildly impressed.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 94% out of 100 with 12,259 ratings