Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,190 |  Reviews: 3,720

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'll start off by saying that I am a huge fan of super dark beers, and that I know that it is not everyone's favorite type. That being said, this is one of my favorites. Especially for a beer that is easy to acquire year round here in CT. The pour is great with pitch black liquid and a nice brown head. The profiles of coffee and dark chocolate are very strong and give a great aftertaste. I love pairing this beer with red meats, although I drink this alone quite a bit. North Coast is a great brewery with an eclectic selection but this will probably remain as my favorite of theirs for some time.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Impenetrable black brew with a foamy brown head.

Smell: I can smell this beer as it sits on the counter. Thick, malty aroma intertwined with a robust hop presence. Hints of coffee and bitter chocolate.

Taste: Chunky malt flavor with complex waves of different bitter flavors. Flavors of scorched caramel, hops, Irish oatmeal and minerals.

Mouthfeel: Hearty, full body. Very grainy finish. Very still liquid.

Drinkablity: Bold and satisfying brew with excellent craftsmanship.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Surprised to see that I had no review listed for Old Raspy, so here we go.

Really, an impressive looking stout with a perfectly black body. Crowned with a sticky coffee-with-cream colored head, about 3 fingers thick to start. Retention wasn't as much as I would have liked, but it still provided plenty of foamy stickiness and lace.

Aroma begins with a slightly grainy roasted aroma before sweeter chocolate scents come in. Plenty of coffee aromas to go along with this too.

Old Raspy is not as chocolate as some stouts but not as coffee flavored as some either. It seems to sit somewhere perfectly in between with a great balance of sweet, bitter, and roasted flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium-heavy and a bit chewy. Overall, this stout is one of the best widely available stouts, and you don't have to wait in line at 3am just to give it a try. Great everyday drinker.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison

Pours black with a nice 3/4" tan frothy head which has decent retention and minimal lacing. Smell is quite fruity actually, berries or cherries with an alcoholic bite. Very rich smelling bouquet. Taste follows suit and is quite fruity, in a deep roasted kind of way, with some sweet maltiness, some hop bitterness, and alcohol at the end. You can tell this is 9%, but it's not to the point of being hard to drink by any means. I could easily put back another, but would definitely start to feel it by then. Mouthfeel is nice for an RIS, smooth and creamy, yet refreshing. A very rich smelling and tasting imperial stout here, much fruitier than I was expecting, but a pleasant surprise. My favorite RIS to date.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Jet black with a thick light brown head.

S: Coffee aroma with the smell of roasted malts.

T: A very smooth and complex beer. This is an excellent sipping beer to kick back and relax with. It goes down easy with a slightly sweet aftertaste. The bitter hops and the roasted malts are very well balanced to make this a very easy to drink beer. The taste is very complex with the flavors of espresso being on the front of the tongue.

M: Chewy and creamy with a very nice amount of carbonation.

D: This was my first RIS and I loved it. This is a very drinkable beer and the 9% is hidden extremely well. It is smooth and well balanced. I can't wait to try some more (picking up some Stone RIS this weekend!).

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

This stuff pours pretty black. It looks very nice with a small, espresso-crema looking head. The nose is a bit weak, pretty much smelling a non-descript brown. The taste is the best part here, some coffee and chocolate notes, not overly sweet or bitter, but pretty well balanced except for the coffee which stands out front. The mouthfeel is fuzzy and full, pretty nice. I like it, and the price is certainly right compared to other RIS.

EDIT - Each time I have this I like it less. I like my stouts on the less bitter side, I guess. I've got one stashed in the cellar for a year or more so that I can do a side by side with a fresh bottle and see if that helps it for me.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.