Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Reviews: 3,647 | Ratings: 11,925
4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served this at around 60 degrees in a brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pitch black with 3 inches of head that laced beautifully.

Aroma: roasted malt, cocoa, black pepper, slight alcohol, touch of espresso, ever so slight 100% cacao chocolate. No burnt malt aroma.

Taste: Roasty, espresso, cococa, touch of guinness character. Midway, some alcohol bite although not too much.

Final results: Definitely one of my favorite imperial stouts. I love how it does not have a burnt flavor and instead the malt has a "grilled" like character. the coffee and chocolate work beautifully although the roastiness is the star. Definitely would drink again but too many beers out there that I need to try. Not hoppy but just enough hops so that there isn't too much sweetness. A plus for me.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Okay, I love RIS. This pleased me in all categories. The only reason for not giving 5's is because this is my first RIP!

Color/visual: Black with 2 finger white lacing that slowly dissipated.

Smell: nice coffee, some chocolate, no remarkable fruits.

Taste: Decadent, hearty but not too thick. slight bitter at the mid to back of mouth/tongue(not unpleasant) but an awesome finish. The awesome taste got even got even better as it warmed!

I found myself savoring each sip and let it warm on my palate before swallowing. This was an experience for me. I am new to RIS, Is there any better than this??? Time will tell...going to the store tomorrow to pick up some more...MY #1 FAVORITE for now:) Thanks North Coast Brewing Co. for making my first RIS. A definite bar has been set.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

This is one kick ass imperial!!! It is a 12oz bottle with a hypnotizing pic of Rasputin on the label. I had this one immediately after Stone's Imperial, and thought this one was at least as good, if not better. Jet black appearance, pretty much on par with other top imperials I've had. A very strong aroma consisting mainly of alcohol and burnt coffee. Tasted pretty much just as it smelled, and was a nice combination of the two (alcohol and coffee). I had no problems with a bottle of this, and I did want at least one more of these when I was finished! A must try for imperial lovers.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

I like Rasputin hangin' out on the front there. Freaky character.

A- Dark as the Siberian winter. No light here. Not much head. An impenetrable mystery.

S- Rich, roasted, rambunctious ... malts. Sweetness, hint of the alcohol. A little nutty, chocolates etc. Yum.

T- A great balance. Tons of malt -- all the roasted/burnt chocolate/caramel you could want, a reminder of the high ABV, and a slow, pleasant fade on the tongue, tinge of bitterness. No carbonation to speak of. Full flavored but not overwhelming. Then again, I sort of like being overwhelmed. Yum.

M- Rich, creamy, smooth. Seeks out all my tastebuds and shows them what it's got, which is formidable. Delightful.

D- Small bottle but lots and lots going for it. True to the style -- just right in my opinion. No 5's because I'm not knocked out of my chair, but very, very good. I'm rather sad that it's gone.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

I poured it in a brandy snifter. Gorgeous deep opaque robe. Tan head that took its little time to disappear. Nose was full of roasted malts and dark chocolate. Very rich on the palate with notes of chocolate, coffee, and caramel. Nice finish. Outstanding!!

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Dark brown almost black in color with a brown fluffy head that didn't last long but, left a good lacing on the glass. Wonderful aroma of dark roasted malt, chocolate and coffee then topped off by the hop aroma.
Flavor of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate and coffee with a great hop bitterness and flavor. Excellent mouthfeel and it also hid it's 9% alcohol well. Just a tremendous beer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz. bottle poured in a tulip glass. Bought from Cost Plus World Market, no clue on the age.

A. Pours a deep black, the light had absolutely no chance of shining through this one. Big brown pillowy head with great lacing.

S. Rosated chocolate malt dominates the smell tyhroughout. Almost no alohol noticable, impressive for a 9% abv.

T. Thick and creamy. Major roasted and chocolate malt flavor. Don't taste a lot of alcohol, but it warms up the stomach fast. A spicy, bitter finish.

M. Thick and creamy, not much carbination. Just what youd expect from a really good RIS.

D. Quite a good beer, due to the overbearing (In a good way) style not one I'd drink more than one or two. Would recommend to anyone as a very good beer.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours black with a dark reddish brown head about half an inch high. Beautiful appearance.

Flavors of bitter chocolate and roasted grains hit me first. I took the first sip cold, but as this beer warms it develops nicely, losing some of the bitterness over time. The smell develops as it warms, too. From now on I will cool this beer to just under room temperature and end it.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

A- dark black with a huge tan head light carbonation.

s- Very malty with hints of coffee and chocolate.

M- full body

T- malt and chocolate ( a big taste) creamy almost syrup like and mild alcohol undertones.

D- I like this not my normal go to beer I can see this being a great beer in my rotation.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

I don't know what the date of this bottle was, but I've been holding on to it for a little over a year now. I haven't reviewed a fresh bottle, but I have definitely had it before.

Looks very tasty. Half-finger tan head that fades and leaves bubble around the edge of the surface. Deep black color that absolutely no light is going to get through.

Surprisingly fruity notes on the smell. Light caramel and chocolate smells as well, not overpowering though.

I would say this definitely tastes different than a younger bottle. There's a blast of sweet fruity caramel on the front with bitter chocolate staying for the finish. The alcohol has smoothed out over time also.

Relative to other imperial stouts this is fairly light bodied. There's a bit of stickiness that coats your mouth, but nothing unpleasant.

Holding on to this bottle was a bit of an experiment and I would say it turned out great! I'm gonna have to grab another four pack to replace this bottle.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A: An aggressive pour yields a 1 finger, very dark head and a black body. Lace looks promising.

S: Dark malt that's mostly chocolate but with a touch of coffee grounds. Alcohol is fairly obvious.

T: Pretty sweet but a great flavorful blend. Molasses and chocolate assist a plum note and a touch of cinnamon.

M: Highly carbonated and the alcohol is noticeable. This is easy to drink although the finish is slightly sticky.

O: Loyal to the style, this beer is worth trying. Solid flavor blend with no real drawback other than a limited nose.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

I love this beer. 12 ounce bottle poured slowly into a pint glass, so no real head (I like it that way, hence the gentle pour). Lacing is pretty good despite the gentle pour. Breathing in the scent, one knows what imperial stouts should be. Strong malt and coffee/caramel aromas that the tastes match. A bit on the heavy side, but it IS an imperial stout and it should be. It lingers on the tongue and in the mouth with a hearty feel. Definitely a recommendable beer to anyone who likes stronger flavors and thoroughly solid beers.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance - Pitch black, excellent lacing and head. It sticks to the glass like fly paper. This is one of the best looking stouts.

Smell - A wonderful aroma of coffee and chocolate. It smells great.

Taste - A mixture of coffee and chocolate up front with a slightly burnt finish. Fabulous.

Mouthfell - Smooth, full bodied, drinkable. All of the essentials are there.

Overall - This is an all around fantastic beer. I honestly cannot find much wrong with it.

4.16/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my go-to stouts. I can usually find it in most supermarkets and bottle shops and it is consistently delicious! Pours deeply opaque with the slightest tinge of red. Pours with a thick sturdy head with tons of lacing. Looks absolutely gorgeous in the glass. Roasted malts, coffee, baker's chocolate, raisin. The alcohol is not so apparent in the smell but in taste you definitely get a nice shot of heat. Surprisingly on the sweeter side but exceptionally well balanced.

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

From a bottle into a pint glass. Centimeter of brown cream, mash head. Nice thick lace clings still on the glass.

The smell of good cold coffee. Ripe black figs, and malt.

Dry on the tongue from start to finish. The sweetness is subdued by the dryness. Molasses, fig, good black rum, hops. Warm alcohol, and bourbon in the finish as the stout warmed.

I wanted something to chew on tonight, and got it with this fine malt. All I can picture is this brew coming out of a old dark stained sticky cask on a whaling ship. I believe I have taken a hour to finish this pint. It lingers on the tongue like a cigar from the night before, in a good way. Spectacular.

Drank cold from regular glass poured from bottle.

Look: Very dark brown/black with red tinges on the edge. Pretty large, tan colored head (medium pouring) with lots of lacing. Head lasts a few minutes then dies down.

Smell: Malty, slightly boozy smell with roasted coffee notes.

Taste: Dark roasted coffee and bitter chocolate, molasses flavors. The 9% abv is pretty well masked, with the bitterness of coffee/chocolate and warming sensation of alcohol on the back of the tongue and throat on the finish.

Feel: Decently thick, it has a nice smooth mouth feel with slight carbonation.

Overall: Excellent stout, one of the best ones I've had. Will definitely be buying again.

This was the first time I've had Old Rasputin but not the first imperial stout. It pours dark dark black with a nice head and good lacing until the last sips. The smell is of the dark roasty flavors that hide within, and the taste follows suit, very rich and bitter with charcoal and dark choclate flavors. Almost like a cold espresso.

I liked the beer, not my favorite of the dark ones but a pleasure nonetheless.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a Stone Russian IMP glass, black of course, brownish head, good retention. Smells wonderful, roasty malts, chocolate and hints of coffee. Tastes rich with a smooth fill, alcohol is not overly apparent. Lots going on here more for my novice palate. Good beer.

3.64/5  rDev -15%

Wonderful Fruity smell with a nice coffee and chocolate nose. Poured into a Westmalle goblet this average looking RIS is thin and dark leaving a dark tan and thin head. The head, however light it is, remains throughout the drink and leaves very nice even lacing all the way down the glass. Strong coffee flavor with the slightest hint of chocolate it has a mouthfeel with a slightly bitter carbonated sting that coats your gullet like castor oil. Alcohol is a bit noticeable but not overpowering and perfectly acceptable at 9% ABV. This is more of a stout than imperial stout in my opinion. I don’t see myself getting this one again, but I’ll finish out the 4 pack and drink it under varying conditions before my final decision.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Poured in to a DFH snifter produced 1/2" dark tan head on top of a dark chocolate brown beer.

Smell: Awesome! Smells of chocolate covered raisons with a hint of choclate covered cherries.

Taste: Very Good, starts malty with super-sweet choclate finish.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth! With the perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: While I really love this beer, I'am not likely to drink more than one of these. This is like dessert not only because of the sweet taste but because you are so full by time you finish the first one. A very filling beer!

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%

Looking forward to try out my new Sam Adams snifter.

Appearance: Pours a jet black with creamy coffee head. The head looks like it is going to rise up, but instead disappears instantly. For a beer with 9% ABV this is to be expected.

Smell: Alcohol mixed with dark fruit. Smells like a liquor. Chocolate, ice cream, raisin and cherry. Smells like liquid dessert. Extremely complex and delicious.

Taste: Amazing! The delicious smell cannot even compete with the taste. Everything I named in the smell plus a cast of others. Impossible to put in words. Get this and try it if available.

Mouthfeel: Remarkably smooth with the taste covering all parts of the tongue. First hits sweet, then bitter roasted coffee and chocolate. Not a bit of astringency or off flavors. Probably over 7 different flavors in one sip. I want to try and describe all the flavors, but I want to drink more.

Drinkability: A beer to be savored and analyzed. Would be the perfect dessert after a fancy meal or a warming beverage after long day of skiing. The winter would be the ideal time to consume. Due to the alcohol and body of this beer, it is best enjoyed in moderation.

I loved this beer. Plus the glass looks great.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Very dark tan 2 inches of head that border on brown. This may be the darkest head on any beer I have ever seen and some reddish streaks as well . Black colored beer very opaque no light can shine through this sexy darkness.

S - mocha, coffee, chocolate

T - Espresso coffee with some milk and dark chocolate undertones. Toasty and a little creamy

M - medium to heavy mouthfeel

D - at first i thought it was rather light for a stout but it gets heavier and more complex as itwarms and the flavors become even more pronounced

Overall, one of the best stouts I have ever had. Rasputin knows how t do it because the alcohol is very well disguised but tis is some great beer to sip on at night and put you to a peaceful slumber

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass beer mug.

The beer poured a dark, rich black that refused to let any light through. The head was thick and tan. It looked like it was going to pour with a thin head, but it kept growing after the pour, until it peaked all thick and frothy. All manner of lacing followed it down.

It's going to sound strange, but this beer smelled as dark as it looked. Strong toasted, (almost burned), malts dominated, but there was a hint of licorice, a bit of coffee, and a bit of chocolate that all merged together, so the nose was different for each sniff.

The mouthfeel wasn't as heavy as it looked. It was carbonated well enough to lighten it up. Kind of a medium feel.

The taste followed the complexity of the nose. It began with the sweet, toasted malts, and finished with more of a hops/coffee bitterness than I expected. Don't read that as a bad thing. The finish left me feeling warm and flushed. There was a lingering scorched chocolate flavor that lingered after the bitterness faded.

As it warmed, the flavors harmonized a bit more, but the hops bite always dominated the finish.

A good, big beer, this is made for sipping slowly. I've found it pairs quite nicely with warm, homemade chocolate chip cookies.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A good Russian Imperial Stout, but not my favorite beer ever. Perhaps Russian Imperials just aren't my style. It's a good beer, but too maybe too rich for my blood, both in alcohol content and cost.

A - Pours a very dark brown that ends up black in the glass, topped by ample amounts of chunky caramel colored head.
S - Smell is complex, sweet with hints of burnt coffee, chocolate and a noticeable amount of alcohol in the nose.
T - The alcohol comes through in the taste but the chocolate, coffee and malt come along for the ride. In a way I felt like I was drinking a scotch or a bourbon. Nice, but if I want a glass of scotch I'll have a glass of scotch.
M - Mouthfeel is just about right for a big Imperial Stout. Heavy and full but not syrupy.
D - Too big to be really drinkable. A good imperial stout, but the taste wasn't my favorite and the amount of alcohol made this a special occasion beer.

4.41/5  rDev +3%

I had the pleasure of tasting this beer for my first time.
I will say that this brew is not for the faint of heart or for 'amateur' beer drinkers. If you are a big fan of mainstream beers, lagers, pale ales, and so on, then I'd suggest finding some way to sample it before purchasing if at all possible. If you appreciate a nice thick stout, this one should definitely be on your list.

Pouring it from bottle to glass, the first thing I noticed was the brilliant jet-black color topped with a thick, tan, and frothy foam head not unlike that of a cappuccino. Holding it up to the light, very little light managed to penetrate through this darkness.

The Aroma is something i can only describe as sweet and roasty. It seems to have subtle but distinctive essences of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, molasses, and alcohol.

The taste was pleasantly enjoyable with a variety of flavors.
A rich balance of roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, and a bitter hoppy taste that surprisingly compliments the other flavors.

A nice thick mouthfeel and a warm finish.

I wasn't disappointed at all in my decision to b uy this.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.