Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
94%
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 12,259 ratings
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#496
Liked:
4.3/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 12,259 |  Reviews: 3,735
4.01/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown bottle poured for me at Fox and the Hound in Mason, OH. No freshness date.... I love the packaging, very noble and almost ominous.

An easy pour produced a nice, creamy, tan 2 finger head. Highly active, frothy bubbling on the head for a few minutes. Nice and sticky lacing remained through the glass. Color is black with the slightest dark brown and possibly ruby hues when put up into the light. Viscosity is high on this one - not a sludge bomb. Looks like a nice example of a Russian Imperial Stout.

Sniffing on this guy reveals a delightful blend of dark chocolates, coffee grinds, lactose creaminess and molasses.

The taste is what you'd expect after smelling it, no surprises. To summarize the taste, this is a richly flavored, heavily roasted coffee, roasted grains, bittersweet chocolates, a healthy dose of smoke and charcoal finishing with some crisp (non-floral) hops. Flavor is nice because it doesn't linger in my mouth forever. I got very little alcohol in the taste, as the prominent roasted flavors hid it well.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the menacing color and creamy head of this beer. Very drinkable and enjoyable, but don't let the 9% ABV creep up and kick your ass.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12 0z. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass. I bought this at the Beer Store in Southampton PA. I will say it was worth the drive over from NJ, as they have one of the larger selections of craft beers that I've seen in the area.

Appearance: A typical jet black thicker pour, as expected with the style. I nice, thick 3/4" cola colored head impressed me resulting from only a moderately aggressive pour. Lacing was spotty, but decent as my glass emptied. The head eventually reduced to a thin light brown ring after a few minutes at room temperature.

Smell: Right off the bat, this reminded me a lot of the Storm King Imperial Stout, which is a hoppier Imperial Stout. I get dark bittersweet chocolate, followed by burnt roasted malts then a definitive hoppy and unsweetened espresso aroma. I also detect a slight booziness in the finish, which become more prominent as the beer warms.

Taste: Like the nose, bitter unsweetened dark chocolate, espresso coffee, dark fruits, and caramel. Light roasted, almost burnt, malts and a surprisingly bitter hoppy finish. I prefer my RIS just a tad sweeter to tame the hoppy bite. The alcohol is well hidden and doesn't expose itself until the beer gets closer to room temperature.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a full-bodied brew. Smooth, but with a dry bitter finish. Carbonation is moderate.

Overall: This is a sipper for sure with the higher ABV. I'm glad I tried it but my "go-to" RIS is still Brooklyn Black Chocolate. I would still say it's a "must try" for fans of the RIS style but I prefer my Imperial Stouts with a little less hop bite.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a deep black with a very nice frothy head that is a medium brown color and lingers quite a long time, leaves a nice amount of lacing

S: nice deep chocolate and coffee notes

T: truely a beautiful representation of the style, great coffee/chocolate hints, great depth of flavor

D/M: smooth across the pallet, incredibly complex, little carbonation tingle, drinks beatufully and with the perfect level of heaviness

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Black velvet, with huge mocha head with good webbing and stick.

S - Chocolate, coffee beans, roasted malts, alcohol.

T - Dark chocolate, roasted coffee, malted milk balls, amazing complexity and many layers to the sweet chocolate. Finishes bittersweet.

O - This is the best Russian Imperial Stout I have ever had. It is amazingly smooth and the drinkability this glass of motor oil is second to none in its class. Perfect for a relaxing winter day.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a substantial but quickly receding head that covers a beautiful jet black stout.

S- Perfect stout spectrum smells of coffee and chocolate. Really nice and powerful.

T- Really mellow and smooth, this is a top notch stout. Taste matches the smell and it's a flavor knockout with easy drinkability.

M- Smooth and sticky goodness.

O- This is clearly upper echelon stout, glad I tried it and I'll be back for more.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pitch black brew with a half inch of head that settles and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell - Heavy roasted malt and coffee smell.

Taste - Strong alcohol taste and coffee and hops balance out the heavy roasted malts, but clearly the malts win this battle. Alcohol can be a bit much.

Moutfeel - A sipper as its fairly heavy and a very thick rich flavor. Lightly carbonated as this sort of brew should be.

Drinkability - I could never see myself having more than one unless I was horribly snowed in with nothing better to do with my time. That said its always a great one and done.

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Pours a silky and fluffy 2 finger head into my large snifter. The head is tan colored and the body is pitch black. As the beer recedes, it leaves some nice lacing.

S- First off, I get a huge hopiness reminiscent of pine and pineapple. I also get a big dark chocolate, some vanilla, and some nice spiciness.

T- This beer starts of with a bitter dry chocolate and slight vanilla with a nice big hopiness of pine then moves into a nice dry chocolate and hoppy finish. Nice.

M- Carbonation is a bit more than low which makes me think it could be a bit less. I would love to see a thicker, smoother mouthfeel, but overall, this is good.

D- There is 9% in here somewhere. Pairs great with dessert or an chocolate. Definitely a great, widely available russian impy.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours black with a toffee colored creamy head.

I got a huge wave of toffee while pouring this. Smells incredible.

Smells like sweet sugar and toffee. Getting some chocolate and a hint of vanilla bean.

Taste is bitter up front before the flavor of bittersweet dark chocolate and coffee (didnt see this coming, got zero coffee on the nose). Theres a bit of alcohol sting but the sweetness soothes it all. Great imperial stout, will buy again.

A - Black body, 1 finger of tan head

S - Chocolate, coffee.

T - Typical stout profile. Chocolate, coffee, slight anise, roasted malts.

M - Full, decent amount of carbonation.

Not my favorite but a good example of a russian imperial stout. Bonus words.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From a 12oz. bottle, undated as best I can tell. Served in a tulip.

Pours a deep-dark chocolate with a plum aura. An excellent three-finger head of whipped mocha foam has very good retention and leaves thick sheets of heavy lacing sliding down the glass.

Smells of cocoa, copper, oranges and leaf mould.

The taste is lush and full, toasted grains and fruit juice, raisins, walnuts and tobacco. A solid malty backbone with high-notes of slick, roasted bitterness and very little aftertaste.

Feel is smooth, medium-full bodied and mouth coating with just enough carbonation to get the job done.

Overall, an excellent, beautifully bitter RIS. Although, at 9% abv, it should have been a sipper, it was so damn easy to drink that I done drunk it right up. Whoops.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 94% out of 100 with 12,259 ratings