Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Reviews: 3,676 | Ratings: 12,043
4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Between this and Stone Russian Stout I am now a fan of the this style. The beer pours like black crude. Thick and dark with creamy tan head. Smelling immeditely after opening the bottle I definately get a smell of smoke, chocolate, and malt. The taste is slightly bitter at first but then goes on to sweet smokiness. Hints of smoked almonds and a bit of coco. You can definately taste the alcohol in the background. Moutfeel is not bad at all either. I prefer Stone Russian Stout by just a hair because the Russian Stout has just a tiny but more alcohol bite which I prefer. But don't get me wrong I would drink either happily. The drinkability is a tiny bit better with Old Rasputin but some of that might be because it comes in smaller bottles so its a little more cold then having a 22 of Stone sitting there getting warm.

4.58/5  rDev +7%

This is a serious stout, that has a lot going for it. It is NOT a one-dimensional bitter bomb like Guinness. Instead, you get hit with a nice combo of sweet, bitter, and tart.

A: Practically pitch black. This looks like a serious hard core stout.

S: Bitter coffee, caramel, toasty

T: Bitter coffee, chocolate, caramel, slight brown sugar, nutty

M: Big, bold body with balanced but moderate carbination.

D: Drinkable one at a time, or perhaps up to 2. A little too big of a beer to drink a lot at once, and the alchohol content approaches weak wines.

Overall, an outstanding stout that is very nicely balanced and multi-dimensional.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I would like to start with the label. Pretty darn cool label. A little weird having Mr Rasputin staring at me while I drank his beer. North Coast Brewing Company has put out some nice labels.
a-dark molasses with a nice smoky brown head.
s-a slight alcohol scent, maybe some chocolate with a touch of burnt molasses.
t-good amount of hops, chocolate, touch of alcohol on the finish.
m- creamy but with a good amount of fiz.
d- I only bought one and wish I had bought more. Only MGDs left in the fridge. Oh well, in this economy a $6 six pack of MGDs seem to beat out a $10 four pack of Old Rasputin. I'm glad I can try at least one.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Got this at a local grocery, in a 4pk of 12-oz. bottles. Not cheap.

This beer? This is the bad-ass that Rasputin was. It completely lives up to its name. Poisoned, shot multiple times and stuffed down an ice-hole into a freezing river... that's what it took to kill Rasputin, the mad monk.

This sucker pours black as night and thickish, not a lot of carbonation that I could see or taste. Tan rocky head for days, and lasting; some lace. Smells like dark chocolate and coffee and dark roasty malt, strong and black. Black like the pit of Hades that Rasputin probably occupies now...

Taste? This sucker is not hiding the fact that it's strong on the alky. Oh no. No Belgian deception for Rasputin. It's bad and strong and dark.. this is Mike Tyson in a bottle. Chocolate and coffee and the usual stout suspects, only magnified and amped. Only sessionable if you're over 6 feet tall and about 200+ pounds. Otherwise? Do so at your own risk. It'll go down, because it's stoutily-smooth, but BEWARE.

(I did like this, but am in awe of its strength. This is one to respect, for sure. And enjoy, AND bless the beer-gods for.)

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

This is an excellent stout. Poured a 12oz bottle into an English tulip pint. Pours black w a thick brown head. It's not a motor oil pour like w some heavier stouts.

The smell is chocolate w the slightest hint of coffee. Not overly nutty or malty / smoky like other stouts.

The taste and mouthfeel are great. It's fairly light bodied bit yet the finish is warm and memorable. The aftertaste really settles well and is probably the best quality of this beer.

As the bros said in their review this is the perfect chill beer. Very drinkable stout.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours dark as night with a flat-lined half-inch tan head.

S- The first smell is all bittersweet chocolate. The second is of hops, and fresh roasted espresso beans.

T - First sip is chocolate, chocolate, and then more chocolate....giving way to a roasted bitterness followed by a huge hop bite, especially for a Russian Imperial Stout. Second sip is still more bitter, from both hops and roasted malt. It really lingers for a big stout.

M - Huge chewy and silky smooth mouthfeel to start then it thins out as the bitterness kicks in.

D - There's so much going on with each sip that it hides the alcohol very well, and makes it such a drinkable beer. The chocolate makes it such a sweet beer, like a dessert. And the creamy mouthfeel makes it even more inviting. I bet this beer wouldn't be bad on nitro.

I have been wanting to try this one for quite some time, and I recently received a bottle from a friend. So lets jump right into this one.

Look: Opaque black body with a creamy coffee head with good retention and lacing. Simply beautiful

Smell: Immediately gives off the scents of rich medium roasted coffee/coffee ice cream, rich dark chocolate, toasted wheat and bread, roasted nuts, oak, vanilla, and a very slight hint of red wine. Marvelous aroma.

Taste: WOW, the first thing I get is Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Although its pretty obvious, coffee is the dominating flavor in this brew, but the coffee does allow the flavors of dark chocolate, charred oak, vanilla, toasted bread and nuts to seep into the taste. Its big and malty up front with the perfect amount of hop bitterness at the finish and a nice amount of warmth form the alcohol, and gives off a slight flavor of red wine and orange rinds. Simply Delicious

Mouthfeel: Its thick, smooth, has the perfect on tongue sensation/level of carbonation, and is warm going down. It feels wonderful going down.

Drinkability: Too drinkable, I would have No Problem having a 4 pack of these all in one night. The flavor, texture, and consistency of this stout are downright incredible.

This is without a doubt, one of if not the best stout(s) I've ever had.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Yet another top brew from North Coast Brewery at Fort Bragg, CA. Label listed 9% ABV.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint bar glass it was midnight black with 2 fingers of brown dense foam that left thick lacing as it dissipated.

Very noticeable aromas of roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee beans greet the nose.

Tastes of coffee, chocolate, and some slight sweetness that hinted of dark fruit like prunes.

This beer was very viscous and has one of the most lingering marvelous flavor profiles I have had with a stout. Very flavorful and intense, I was tasting the flavors for several minutes after each sip. I must get more. So much beer...so little time.

Kudos to North Coast.

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was very excited to finally try this beer. I've only within the last year really started drinking great beers, and have become quite a stout-head. This was a huge WANT for me, and finally found it at a beer deli last night.

A- Motor oil black. Poured from a bottle, left a lot of tan head that was thick and slow to dissipate. A ton of intricate lacing left on the glass

S-Strong coffee and roasted malt, with a backing of chocolate and alcohol. Everything an Imperial Stout should smell like.

T- Very strong coffee and chocolate, segwaying into a bite of hops and alcohol. The alcohol taste isn't boozy, but well balanced and leaves a nice warming sensation.

M- Almost milkshake thick. The warming alcohol gives a very pleasant mouthfeel.

Overall- Rarely does a beer live up to its hype, but Old Rasputin totally did for me. My only regret is that I wasn't able to have it on tap for my first time, as I'm sure that would only amplify the already awesome quality of this beer. Very highly recommend.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Licorice with a vanilla/beige head.

Aroma: Bold notes of roasted coffee and malt, with not-too-subtle hints of dark chocolate.

Flavor: Much like the aroma, but stronger; deep-roasted with a subtle (strange, because there was a stronger presence in the aroma) dark chocolate aftertaste which slowly changes to hints of dark smoked grains. In truth, I was not expecting it to dissipate so quickly - the aftertaste of dark smoked grains quickly became somewhat...'off'; I was hoping for the chocolate/malt notes to really come forward after letting it rest on my palate, but instead, it became somewhat bitter - not what I would expect from any Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel: Fairly moderate carbonation - smooth, full-bodied, but somewhat dry after a while.

Overall: This was my first from North Coast Brewing, and a good choice to get my 'foot in the door'. To any die-hard fans of Imperial Stouts: make this a staple in your collection. Personally, I may need to revisit this one after a while because while it is good, I was not entirely impressed - particularly in terms of flavor/mouthfeel. But as stated above, if you love Imperial Stouts: get it and enjoy!

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Look - about what you'd expect from an imperial stout - Dark, opaque, small tan head that quickly dissipates to about an eighth inch. Pretty typical for the style.

Smell - roasted coffee, hint of Bakers chocolate or cocoa. Not really getting anything else. (Chocolate reveals itself more on warming)

Taste - way more coffee than chocolate. No alcohol readily evident, so the 9% abv is well hidden. Disappointing, not a lot going on here but on the positive side, nothing really wrong either. Quite drinkable, but don't think I'd seek it out. By the way. Im getting none of the sweetness some reviewers mention. Maybe it's just my batch?

Feel - shockingly thin, didn't expect that

Overall disappointed, and I had high expectations - maybe too high? I'll try it again though, I'm a sucker for Russian Imperial Stouts...and it is pretty smooth, I must say. I just feel like the flavor is lacking. It's not bad .

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

Not as thick as it looks. That being said, damn, this tastes good. Not quite the flavor level of the Founders' or Sammy Smith's Imperial Stouts, but delicious none the less. It has a bitternes and smokey character that few other beers have. Less solid of a body as those beers too. That, of course, still makes it thicker than carro syrup, but hey, let's keep this beer fighting against brews of the same weight class. Everyone should try this once, it's a good time.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Wow, Old Rasputin greets you himself with a hand raised high (some sort of signal to those in the know), unyielding eyes and a few words left not understood. The brew on the other hand I understand as a great imperial stout. I didn't expect it.

The pour was an espresso color (oils and all) with a short lived, short head much like the tail of an espresso pour. What lace remained was like a milk mustache -- just there. The nose collected in greatness - semi-sweet chocolate mocha...thank you roasted malts. For such a dark, light filtering beverage the carbonation went throughout. The mouth was soft, round, full.

I pause to let the temperature come down a bit - to allow for all to come through and called zatte bie who was walking the Haight /Ashbury scene, filling my senses in another way.

The time warp was a wonderful excursion. Old Rasputin exceeds itself. The nose softens, the taste broadens and the sharp and/or high tones balance. All became bigger yet softened. What was initially a hoppy finish with a high squeal followed by a dry note with a metal element transformed. I found Rasputin to be balanced from nose to finish. The appropriate temp made for a most boastful review. This was a good brew.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Old Rasputin has a wonderful, thick, brown head and a rich, deep, black color. It has a strong, thick and creamy malt flavor that is both sweet and bitter, with a mild roasted/burnt aftertaste and a roasty aroma. This imperial stout has a full-bodied consistency with an alcoholic warmth that will bring a smile to your face and a nice warm glow to your cheeks on a cold winter night. It finishes with a big hop bitterness that lingers. Brussels lace stays on the sides of the glass right to the bottom. Old Rasputin is an excellent example of the imperial stout style.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a brandy snifter.

Jet black, used motor oil color with an average sized cream colored head. Lacing is solid.

Smell is malty; very roasted chocolately smell. I think I will have to let the beer warm some more before I can pick anything else out.

Taste is almost immediately coffee, with chocolate following, finished by an almost (raisin?) rum like followthrough. Alcohol warms in the finish. Very clean tasting beer but with lots of flavor. Hop bitterness is present but not in the fore; malt is the leading character in this play.

Medium to high carbonation and jam packed with flavor give the feeling of drinking a meal. Very full-bodied beer. The 9%abv is definately noticeable.

I will be drinking this again. Now I can say that I understand the hype surrounding this beer!

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Not sure why I waited so long to review this. This is a good beer that I have regularly.

Looks- it is basically black with a tan head and good lacing.

Smell- Cofee and chocolate.

Taste. more coffee and chocolate gets better as it warms.

Mouth feel - smooth and rich feel. Very good.

Drimkibility. this one takes a while. It is a good one to have after dinner and savor it for a while. it relaxes me... Might have something to do with the alcohol content:) Overall a great beer at a great price.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a single of this beer earlier tonight. This was one of the first beers for me when I converted from cheap beer.

Color- dark brown

Head-thick,tan two finger foam/ the residue left on side of glass suggests a thicker consistency

Aroma-a little floral pretty complex almost a woodsy smell

Taste-oaky or bourbon flavor/some hints of coffee heavy bitterness in the end and alcohol taste was present.

After trying many other russian imperial stouts I would have to say this one is worthy of an occassional buy, but doesn't stand out among the elites.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

One of my all-time favorites. Poured into a pint glass, I had no trouble making a ridiculous perfectly foamy tan head that sat upon the black sea of liquid. Lacing is great and you have a sudsy film floating around the whole time your drinking, which might not be as long as you might expect with a strong brew like this. It has a very strong, roasted character. It smells almost woodsy or yeasty. There is coffee in there somewhere, perhaps even espresso? It has a decent hop bite too. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming for me. Definitely a sipper, it's just overwhelming with flavor and so damn heavy. It really stays on the tongue too. By far my favorite I've had by this brewery. I am going to try my hand at brewing a clone of this later this week. Looking at the grain bill, I can see why it is such an intense beer.

I had this at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT on tap into a snifter.

It arrived as a lovely dark color with a nice tan head that lasted throughout. Nice lacing. Nice bitterness balanced well by the creaminess and a pronounced alcohol bite at the finish. This was my first time drinking this--hopefully many more to come. Definitely a sipper at 9% alcohol.

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

The high alcohol content took a little away from it. I would have enjoyed this beer more at 7.00 abv. As for the particulars rated above: strong point is its look and smell. The alcohol is what equated to the taste & mouthfeel rating being lower than the olfactory.

I'd drink this with dessert in a small 6oz glass.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

This is a tremendous imperial stout. That being said, it is a little lacking in the hoppiness that characterizes most of these beer types, and it could use a little more of that. Otherwise, it's all quite solid. It pours pitch black with a small tan head that sticks around for quite a long time. It smells mostly like chocolate. The taste is similar. The overwhelming flavor in this beer is of chocolate. The mouthfeel is a little sticky and smooth, very pleasant. Overall, this is a world-class RIS that I would highly recommend to anyone.

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours jet black like motor oil. Has a small, quickly dissipating brown head with no lacing or carbonation. Not the most beautiful I've seen.
S: Dark chocolate, malty, and slightly citric with a presence of alcohol.
T: Strong notes of chocolate with a hint of vanilla and a balanced alcohol taste. Fantastic but I wish the aftertaste carried a bit more.
F: Full-bodied and creamy with a wonderful carbonated fizzle. Excellent!
O: This is a rich and satisfying stout with an excellent mouthfeel. I wish it pushed the bitters a bit more.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: Dark brown-black heue. Good sized head of brown and white. Good looking brew.

S: Malt chocolate, toasty and sweet. Pretty mouth-watering.

T: Minimally-sweet earthy malt backbone. When coating the pallet, this beer takes a quick turn towards a sharp bitter end note, and i sort of wished that the initial taste lingered longer before going full hop-ended, boozy stout on me. If swallowed quickly, the brew leaves a nice nutty taste in your mouth, which I enjoy a lot though.

F: Creamy and fizzy

O: Decent beer, for a beer so good looking and great smelling, the taste left me feeling short-handed... I haven't had as many stouts as some people have, so maybe I am missing something! I'd drink it again, but I don't think I'd seek it out or anything though.

4.41/5  rDev +3%

Very freash case, split umongst a few...
Poured into a "beer clean" 10 oz pils glass. Poured a bit flat then generated a rich, thick, pillow or tan froth, head retention was excellent. The smell of the beer was nothing suprising, the normal smokey, toffee notes of most of this style. Allowed to warm up abit the flavor is "phenominal" and was very enjoyable. Was quite a bit more drinkable than I anticipated, with roasted black malt dominating the pallate, with some caramel/toffe notes swiming around and lingering on my tounge. Mouthfeel was rich & creamy, enticing another drink. Not quite as hoppy as Storm King, but somehow slightly creamier similar to, but not nearly as sweet as a Cream Stout. The alcoholic flavors were not present as in some beers of this magnitude. Honestly, I'm Stouts are not my favorite style as they are not as heavily hopped as I like, but the more of these fantastic examples I try the more I appreciate & enjoy them. A+ for this "Satanic Saint"!

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Serving Date:
11 December 2006

Presentation:
Short, brown 12oz bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance:
Pours a dark brown, with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smell:
Smells of slightly overcooked coffee with a hint of sweetness.

Taste:
Smooth, tingles the tongue. Sweet espresso flavors followed by bitter chalky feel towards the back of the mouth. Creaminess at the front. Hints of a cocoa.

Notes:
A very enjoyable stout. Getting down into the beer allows the nose to be engulfed in the delectable aromas wafting up from the brew before the wonderful flavor hits the lips. Enjoy this one as it warms up.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.