Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
94%
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 12,259 ratings
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#495
Liked:
4.3/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 12,259 |  Reviews: 3,735

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Dark. Dark as my soul, one could say. Big brown head that lingers. This beer looks like it means business.

Smell: Definite coffee smell to it with some dark chocolate. Malty, too.

Taste: Hmm. Chocolatey more than coffee. A little bit boozy.

Mouthfeel: Based on the appearance and smell, I would have expected this to linger a little more in my mouth between sips. That said, it's plenty tasty so I'm not complaining. Really, I'm not. Especially as it makes me drink more of it to write this review. I'd agree with the "dry" finish that others have mentioned.

Overall: Yeah, I think I'll be adding this to my "standards." Get some of this cellared and see what happens. Based on what I've read from others who cellared, it should age very nicely. I'm excited.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.09/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just an amazing beer- especially considering the price ($8.99 where I am) and year-round availability. Black as Rasputin's heart with a lovely tan head. Foamier than most RIS. No strong scent - just mild hints of caramel and coffee. These two flavors are distinct in the taste though. Serve this puppy pretty warm - cold it tastes boozy but at 50-55 degrees that goes away and the beer is silky smooth. I do like a few other RIS's more but this is the best year-round version. A true classic.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 94% out of 100 with 12,259 ratings