Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,208 |  Reviews: 3,722
3.51/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

North Coast's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout: 9% ABV;

Appearance: pours dark rich brown, black in glass, nutty brown head;

Smell: malty, grass;

Taste/Mouthfeel: cocoa-y bitterness, black coffee, smooth/round, oaty, caramel/toasted malt;

Pretty Good.

Poured into a pint glass.

2.03/5  rDev -52.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.25

This review will be far from the norm, and doesn't reflect bad on the beer, but my own taste. I do respect this beer for its amazing scores, style, complexity... But with all that being said; I couldn't finish my glass. I tried this beer at the Yardouse with a friend. I hate bitterness, I like smooth, complex, deep, slight hops, lots of malt, type beers. Aboslutely way to bitter for me. I try and finish every beer, even if I don't like it, because I want to be sure I don't like it. I left half of a pint glass with this and the Yardhouse bartender gave me a refund. Not MY cup of tea.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz. bottle into the oversized wine glass !

A - A deep dense brown almost black, a beautiful looking drink. A light cocoa colored head with nice lacing that sticks around till gone.

S- Deep malts, chocolate, brown sugar, dark molasses, no fruits, but still a sweetness like dark burnt molasses

T- Much like the smell, deep dark malts right up front, with a brown sugar/ black molasses sweetness in the middle, followed by a slight bitterness like a 75%+ cocoa dark chocolate. Not very much alcohol warmth, there is some but not a lot.

M- Full body, but not overly heavy. Has a very nice smoothness and very little carbonation. Little to zero alcohol warmth.

O- Fantastic beer for the price, I picked up a couple packs after my first taste, this one will be a regular in my beer fridge. Very glad I picked it up and most defiantly recommend to everyone that likes dark beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark coffee color and, once in the glass, shows opaque black with a persistent and frothy beige head with nice lacing and variation in bubble size. Arresting aromas of coffee, chocolate, and baking spice; it trends a bit on the sweet side and maybe could use a little more roasted malt in the background but that's gilding the lily. The aromas carry through to the palate with more malt presence there, which gives some grip to this and prevents it from being flabby or cloying. Nice effervescence and somehow an easy to handle medium bodied mouth feel despite the intense aroma and flavor. Delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.