Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Thick, oily, and pitch black. Exactly what I'm looking for in an Imperial Stout. The head isn't as dark as I would like, coming in at a light tan color, but it sticks around in a pleasant ring all the way to the end. The lacing is to die for. Like spiders made sweet webby love in my glass.

Smell: Huge chocolate notes, mostly dark with a little bit of milk chocolate thrown in. Roasty, with a nutty warmth. Slight touch of alcohol

Taste: Lots of warmth from the alcohol. Roast, coffee bitterness. A different bitter note right as you swallow, like a black tea that has steeped too long. The nuttyness returns to sit on your tongue after each sip.

Mouthfeel: Thick, just the way it should be. The carbonation gives it a lively zip right at the end to keep things exciting.

Overall: This has quickly become my go to Imperial Stout. This is my first beer from North Coast, but if Old Rasputin is any indication, I will happily be buying more from them in the future. (4.25)

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(From notes)

A - 4.50 - good looking beer, pours very dark brown almost black, 2 finger solid tan head, dissipates down to a lumpy head with clumps of fine bubbles, very thick lacing

S - 4.50 - strong chocolate, coffee, little bit of alcohol, nutty-peanut buttery tones, other nuts

T - 4.25 - Mainly tastes chocolatey, with some coffee/espresso too. The nuttiness comes through in the taste too. Roastiness.

M - 4.50 - Heavy beer, thick frothiness from the carbonation, alcohol pretty much hidden, bitter roasted coffee aftertaste.

O - 4.50 - Great go to imperial stout. If I was going to introduce friends to the genre of Imperial Stouts I would start with this. The best Imperial Stouts I've had would be Stone's Espresso RUssian Imperial Stout and Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, and this doesn't make it up to their level, but it is a great value for the price! At 7.99/4 pack for a 9% ABV Russian Imperial Stout this is completely worth it.

3.87/5  rDev -9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Okay, I love RIS. This pleased me in all categories. The only reason for not giving 5's is because this is my first RIP!

Color/visual: Black with 2 finger white lacing that slowly dissipated.

Smell: nice coffee, some chocolate, no remarkable fruits.

Taste: Decadent, hearty but not too thick. slight bitter at the mid to back of mouth/tongue(not unpleasant) but an awesome finish. The awesome taste got even got even better as it warmed!

I found myself savoring each sip and let it warm on my palate before swallowing. This was an experience for me. I am new to RIS, Is there any better than this??? Time will tell...going to the store tomorrow to pick up some more...MY #1 FAVORITE for now:) Thanks North Coast Brewing Co. for making my first RIS. A definite bar has been set.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.