Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
4.3/5
Outstanding
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#501

Ratings: 12,333 |  Reviews: 3,750

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

i saw the word 'wow' in more than one review and i agree completely. took me a while to get around to trying this but it will definitely be on my regulars list from now on. understand, i only gave this beer a 4.75 b/c i don't believe the 'perfect' beer exists...but this is VERY close. i am typically an ale guy but really like the stouts. as far as i'm concerned this moved past my favorite ales. just an overall satisfying experience. northcoast has got something going on for sure...i was already a fan of brother thelonious.

I don't know why you do not have this beer in your top 25. This has to be the best Imperial Stout that I have ever had. In my opinion this beer cannot be improved upon!

I am more of an Pale Ale or IPA person, but if I see this on a beer list at a restaurant, I have to have it.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to bnuno I'm having my first Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and my first beer of this style. What an awesome trade.

Poured into a pint glass instead of a snifter glass.

A: While I was pouring this beer I've let a "wow" coming out of my lungs - such a beautiful beer. A dense dark brown colored body with a big caramelized head that left some lacing. Nice thing here.
S: Real coffee (instead of high roasted malt), nuts and chocolate.
T: It kinda tastes like a nice expresso with some chocolate bar by its side. It's really good.
M: I've seen some other beers that like to balance the sweet and bitter, but nothing like this. It's beautifully sugary at the beginning and awesomely bitter at the end of the sip. The 75 IBUs are just awesome, I've never had a beer with so much IBUs but this is extremely well done.
O: For the first Russian Imperial Stout, I'm truly impressed. Never tasted nothing like this.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.3 out of 5 with 12,333 ratings