Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
4.3/5
Outstanding
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#501

Ratings: 12,333 |  Reviews: 3,750

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a 4 pack of 12oz bottles for $9.99. Poured into a tulip at around 45 degrees.

A- Poured a dark black, motor oil looking body with a slight brown head. Produced a tall and thick head for a 9% beer. The body character of this beer is amazing.

S- Strong overtones of coffee and dark chocolate, with the coffee barely overpowering the chocolate. Slight hint of burnt coffee grains but it doesn't have the typical roasted over the edge smell. Some earthy hops make their way through the mist giving it a nice rounded smell.

T- The taste is a bit complex with the chocolate and coffee mixing in with a vanilla-like sweetness to give you the impression that you are drinking a lite porter. Alcohol is no where to be found and I don't even get the usual warming in the throat. Strong hints of chocolate and slightly roasted coffee. Some hop presence. Nicely balanced.

M- Medium carbonation still coats the palate but doesn't completely slither in the throat. For this style the carbonation is a bit higher then usual but this makes this brew nicer, I think.

A good Imperial Stout to sip on, on any occasion. Available year around and it's complex as much as it is simple, if that makes any sense. Get one.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle bought for $2.79 at Fairway Sav-Mor in Eastpointe, Michigan. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Aggressive pour turned out to be an awful idea... massive amount of head that would have been a massive foam over if not for my intense slurping action. Two finger head sticks around for a decent while before staying at one. The head is a dark brown/yellow-ish color, and has a rocky, meringue-like consistency. Surprisingly, not much lacing until the bottom of the glass. Sexy beer, though.

Smell: It's not "bursting", but it's significant ... a ton of roasty coffee with caramel notes. Some RIS's have that dark fruit aroma or taste, and this doesn't have it at all ... just some massive roast aromas.

Taste/feel: Maybe it was my slight buzz before the end of my glass (always possible), or it was just that the beer coated my mouth enough to mask some of the intense roast bitterness that I was getting, but I enjoyed this more and more as I sipped it. I was going to give the taste about a 3.5, but I bumped it up... for the style, this is almost the best one I've had. An extremely smooth feel hits the tongue, there's a quick alcohol warmth, and then you're just ushered in to some heavy roasty characteristics. Coffee. The first few ounces of this beer, I kept getting an intensely lingering WEIRD bitterness on the very back of my tongue that just wouldn't go away. As I sipped, and the beer warmed a tad, the bitterness was still there, but some semi-sweet chocolate came in to let me know why this is such a critically acclaimed RIS. Additionally, the alcohol became more apparent in a slight warming on the finish. Man. That thick feel, though...

It's August 1st. I've been drinking RIS's all summer long. I wanted something big, bold, rich. This delivered. While I wasn't initially sold, a few sips later, I really enjoy Old Rasputin.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.3 out of 5 with 12,333 ratings