Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,190 |  Reviews: 3,720
3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours black with a creamy light brown head, 2 finger height on the head tho I did pour it aggressively. 4

Aroma-roasted coffee, hint of vanilla, brown sugar, slight toffee, overall smell is kinda muted. 3.75

Taste-milk chocolate, light coffee, roasted malts, mocha, slightest hint of vanilla and toffee. Taste follows the scent, which is kinda middle of the road for a RIS. 4

Feel-thick & full bodied, some carbonation, coats mouth evenly, bitterness finally sets in. 4.25

Overall-I guess I would have to say I'm underwhelmed by this beer, it has everything a RIS needs but doesn't go beyond the normal. It is available year round and at a very attractive price. However, I don't think I would go out of my way to purchase this again. 4

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a deep black with one full finger of frothy khaki colored head. The foam takes a bit to settle, and there is a ton of lacing left on the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose is roasted malt, burnt toast, and caramel. Some of the chocolate notes begin to come through as it warms. Smells good.

T: I initially get a smooth sweetness, a touch of spice, and as it progresses a bit, I get some chocolate.

M: Full bodied beer. Sweet, coating, and a solid amount of carbonation (maybe more than I really want).

O: Really nice Imp Stout. This was one of the first beers that got me into the style. I'm glad I went back to try it again. Would drink again/10.

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a nitro tap into a tulip glass which I understand is the ultimate way to enjoy this brew.

A - Deep black in color, completely opaque. Beautiful 3/4 inch of foamy caramel colored head sitting on top which persists throughout the consumption (it shrinks but was there to the last sip). Tiny caramel colored nitrogen bubbles persistently rise from the bottom of the glass every time it is picked up and put down. The appearance is truly a spectacle.

S - Roasted malts and hints of cocoa.

T - Some sweet maltiness in the front end. Very faint amount of hops tasted in the finish. The 9% alcohol is masked very well. I get some hints of cocoa as well.

M - Velvety smooth. If you manage to get some of the head on its own it can almost feel like a milkshake. Light carbonation, great full body.

O - This might be one of the greatest beer experiences I've ever had. Certainly the best stout. If you find this on a nitro tap somewhere, do not pass it up.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present but I am pretty sure the 4 pack I landed is from sometime in 2012 because it had a pretty good layer of dust on it. Stoked to finally be trying this beer. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours the blackest of black with a very nice looking two and a half finger mocha colored foamy head with excellent retention. Some nice fluffy lacing as the head recedes.

S - Alcohol strikes my sniffer initially followed by some dark fruit / fermented nut smells with some rich dark chocolate in there as well. Roasted coffee beans. Not a terribly complex smell going on, but there is a decent amount of action happening here and it smells wonderful. Some faint hop nugget smell coming through.

T - Smooth velvety chocolate. Faint bourbon booze type taste. Roasted dark coffee bean & pungent hop cone bitterness. Dark fruit / nut taste is very apparent and inviting. Even more inviting is this beer's nice cozy 9.00% abv which is very well masked; a slight hint of the alcohol begins to emerge as the beer warms. A fair level of carbonation present.

M - Again, smooth and creamy texture. Very well-balanced, doesn't sit heavy in the stomach like some overly carbonated stouts tend to do, which is impressive especially for a 9.00% abv. It gives you some room to really taste the flavors. Some roasted coffee bean / hop bitterness hanging out for a little bit with some sweetness in the finish. A wonderful taste, I must say.

Overall, definitely a stout worth trying, one of the better Russian imperial stouts that I have had thus far. Fairly simple, yet still packing enough action to be unique and notable. It is probably the landmark beer for North Coast Brewing, and it is a beer I would surely have again. I would be interested in trying the Old Rasputin XV Anniversary Barrel Aged Stout, or any of this beer's other variations, if I could ever find one. Although, I suppose I am content enough with the regular Old Rasputin for now.

North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout ---4/5.

1.25/5  rDev -70.8%

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very approachable dark RIS with a thick head, dark cocoa, roasted malt flavors, and a touch of dark fruit. Creamy and full-bodied with a velvety texture. Alcohol fairly well-hidden. Available year-round and compares favorably to some more hyped-up limited release stouts.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

This is the stuff. My desert island brewski. The one that sent me into a panic nearly 14 years ago when I first stumbled on this brew from a then unknown micro brewery when I was living outside of Columbus Ohio. I was immediately taken in by this beer and quickly, shuddered to think, oh my, what if this brewery doesn't make it? And that thought sent me exploring the world of home brewing to see if I could personally brew something that came close to this, in the event, heaven forbid, that Old Rasputin would cease to be.

The good news is that I was able to come close enough so I feel prepared if that horrible day ever comes. But even better news, I haven't had to resort to that workaround. Old Rasputin lives!

Pours an exotic black with a tan head that tops the beer nicely before evolving into a layer of a tan sudsy blanket that drapes this brew. Oh yes, and I always drink this one at cellar temperature, never chilled, in a snifter as well.

Nose is spectacular, inviting with notes of chocolate cake, licorice, and roasty espresso.

On the palate, this is like a slice of liquid black forest torte, nicely balanced with roasty and sweet tones.

Mouthfeel is nice with very light carbonation. Wouldn't want any more for this style. A nice warmer this one.

Overall, nothing else but a top score for my personal all time favorite beer. If there were a beer hall of fame, this would be my inductee. Rasputin lives.

Sto lat North Coast (get yer Polish dictionary handy here).

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.