Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,231 |  Reviews: 3,727

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to a pint glass.

A- Darker than hell with a little less than a finger of light brown head and lots of sticky lacing all the way down the glass.

S- A little subdued, but good. Lots of coffee and roasted malts with some black licorice and vanilla. Maybe a hint of alcohol.

T- Just about perfect. Too complex to name everything that comes out in this beer, but it's everything you'd want. Very balanced, but it still leans toward the bitter side even though there is a very strong malt presence.

M- Thick and silky. This possesses the ideal mouthfeel for me. It's carbonated just right.

O- My favorite RIS I've tried so far. I'm really starting to get in to stouts now and this will be the beer I base all the others off of.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours black with a creamy light brown head, 2 finger height on the head tho I did pour it aggressively. 4

Aroma-roasted coffee, hint of vanilla, brown sugar, slight toffee, overall smell is kinda muted. 3.75

Taste-milk chocolate, light coffee, roasted malts, mocha, slightest hint of vanilla and toffee. Taste follows the scent, which is kinda middle of the road for a RIS. 4

Feel-thick & full bodied, some carbonation, coats mouth evenly, bitterness finally sets in. 4.25

Overall-I guess I would have to say I'm underwhelmed by this beer, it has everything a RIS needs but doesn't go beyond the normal. It is available year round and at a very attractive price. However, I don't think I would go out of my way to purchase this again. 4

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a deep black with one full finger of frothy khaki colored head. The foam takes a bit to settle, and there is a ton of lacing left on the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose is roasted malt, burnt toast, and caramel. Some of the chocolate notes begin to come through as it warms. Smells good.

T: I initially get a smooth sweetness, a touch of spice, and as it progresses a bit, I get some chocolate.

M: Full bodied beer. Sweet, coating, and a solid amount of carbonation (maybe more than I really want).

O: Really nice Imp Stout. This was one of the first beers that got me into the style. I'm glad I went back to try it again. Would drink again/10.

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a nitro tap into a tulip glass which I understand is the ultimate way to enjoy this brew.

A - Deep black in color, completely opaque. Beautiful 3/4 inch of foamy caramel colored head sitting on top which persists throughout the consumption (it shrinks but was there to the last sip). Tiny caramel colored nitrogen bubbles persistently rise from the bottom of the glass every time it is picked up and put down. The appearance is truly a spectacle.

S - Roasted malts and hints of cocoa.

T - Some sweet maltiness in the front end. Very faint amount of hops tasted in the finish. The 9% alcohol is masked very well. I get some hints of cocoa as well.

M - Velvety smooth. If you manage to get some of the head on its own it can almost feel like a milkshake. Light carbonation, great full body.

O - This might be one of the greatest beer experiences I've ever had. Certainly the best stout. If you find this on a nitro tap somewhere, do not pass it up.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.