Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
4.3/5
Outstanding
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#501

Ratings: 12,333 |  Reviews: 3,750
4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Jet black and creamy-looking with a toffy head of about two fingers and mine is sticking around and leaving some pretty good lacing.

S: hops, malts, dark chocolate, and coffee. maybe a hint of dark fruit.

T: I was struck by the bitterness. Bitter in a pleasant way. Definitely getting coffee and dark bitter chocolate as well. Very nice.

M: Creamy, full mouthfeel. A little alcohol burn on the back-end.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Old Rasputin pours incredibly dark, almost in an unappealing fashion. You couldn't look through this beer if you had x-ray vision. Appearance hardly ever affects my rating, but this looked like earthworm mud. The smell is also a bit underwhelming. Dark chocolate with a hint of raisin, but it doesn't offer up the complexity of smells I've had from other exceptional RIS. The taste makes up for the smell though. I got waves of dark chocolate and coffee with a bitter (almost hoppy?) finish. Delicious.

Overall, a GREAT beer but I was just slightly underwhelmed.

I had this at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT on tap into a snifter.

It arrived as a lovely dark color with a nice tan head that lasted throughout. Nice lacing. Nice bitterness balanced well by the creaminess and a pronounced alcohol bite at the finish. This was my first time drinking this--hopefully many more to come. Definitely a sipper at 9% alcohol.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

A: dark and erie, when I first had this beer I knew it would be a good one.

S: an aroma of coffee but had some trouble because I have a poor sense of smell. Some reviewers say chocolate but I will have to re-pour to see if I get a better hint of it.

T: bitter but by no means a bad one! It is the beauty of having this at school after work and before class that makes my mid-days so great :)

M: My buddies hassle me saying that this beer pours like motor oil, so it must taste and linger like it. Not at all. This creamy beverage is one to savour.

Overall: This is the main beer I respect out of my choices here at CSU-DH's sports lounge. It brings me joy and delight that CA breweries are brewing these. I am hoping to one day get this on-tap.

***

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.3 out of 5 with 12,333 ratings