Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,236 |  Reviews: 3,728
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 US fl.oz. bottle poured into a globe-shaped snifter...

A - Pours an opaque dark brown body, with a rich, creamy brown-coloured head. Lots of lacing and great head retention. Looks like a perfect RIS!

S - The nose is full of chocolate, roasted and slightly smoked malts. Hints of raisins and prunes and just a hint of alcohol. Smells very classic and yet very intriguing.

T - This must be love at first sip: starts out with a rich (and I mean RICH) chocolate and coffee flavour, with hints of smoke and vanilla. Then comes a pretty solid bitterness, with hints of bakers chocolate and prunes. Sweet, but not too sweet. In fact, the level of sweetness is almost ideal. Balanced and very robust!

M - Medium-to-full body. Very mild level of carbonation. Smooth and velvety on the palate. The alcohol is very well-masked in my opinion. This must be one of the most creamy and smooth Russian Imperial Stouts I've had.

O - This beer didn't disappoint! It's very close to perfection; the only thing I didn't fully enjoy was the almost-extreme level of roastiness, which starts showing after the beer warms up. All in all, this is a true classic and an excellent example of the style. Must-try, if you like stouts and chocolate; stay away, if you can't stand bitter and roasty beers.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I will forever be grateful to the reliable Old Rasputin for being the first Russian Imperial Stout I ever tasted, for it introduced me to my absolute favorite kind of beer on the planet. Some seven years later and the Imperial Stout remains my favorite, and I still consider Old Rasputin one of the best of its kind - and it remains one of the best priced out there!

A very dark pour creates an instantly pleasant aroma and it drinks smooth and strong, with a very nice aftertaste.

Bravo!

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I love the label. I didn’t know until I wrote the “what they said” for this beer that the label is actually Old Rasputin. Clever name… or clever label. Anyway, I have seen this beer before, but I am not sure I have had it. But since we have so many stouts in the fridge I figured we would go ahead and drink another one tonight. This one has a pretty big ABV and the word “imperial” usually excites me. Let’s see what she has to offer.

In the Glass: The beer is pitch black in the glass. It has a creamy head on it with a thin lace that tries to hang on… but just drips all the way down as you swirl it in the glass. But the beer is dark as night.

Nose: I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the top. It smells VERY sweet, fruity, and a hint of salty caramel there at the end. It smells so good I don’t even want to drink it. This beer better taste as good as it smells, because I am sick of beers not tasting close to what they smell. Anyway, let’s see if it lives up.

Flavor: The beer is VERY smooth. Holy cow, there is hardly any carbonation in this beer. I didn’t want there to be either. Maybe that’s what the “imperial” means. When the beer first hits your lips it goes in smooth, and just dances across your palate leaving hints of honey, chocolate, and coffee all over your tongue. Holy crap, this beer is delicious.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is like a parade in your mouth. You can use that… because as soon as you drink this you will see what I mean. The beer is somewhat creamy, and frothy and just slowly coats the tongue to give your mouth a ton of flavor. The beer has very little carbonation, and when you swallow the most bubbles come out as the beer takes you to aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I like an aftertaste that sticks around. This one does. For a LONG time. At first it’s cold and sweet, then it quickly turns dry, bitter, and almost stale. But a good kind of stale. The bitterness is what I am mistaking for as stale. Anyway, the aftertaste is strong on for a good three to five minutes. The burp is nice too. This is just an all around good beer. Not sure there is anything bad I could say about this beer. Well, maybe that my glass is empty.

I am a BIG fan of this brew. Those folks over there at North Coast Brewing have done it again. Keep up the good work and bottoms up!

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - The bottle says: “Brewed in the tradition of the 18th century English brewers who supplied the Russian court of Catherine the Great. Old Rasputin develops a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big, complex flavors and a warming finish.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.