Old Rasputin | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old RasputinOld Rasputin
4.3/5
Outstanding
Old RasputinOld Rasputin

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#520

View: Beers
Ratings: 12,397 |  Reviews: 3,759
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

I love the label. I didn’t know until I wrote the “what they said” for this beer that the label is actually Old Rasputin. Clever name… or clever label. Anyway, I have seen this beer before, but I am not sure I have had it. But since we have so many stouts in the fridge I figured we would go ahead and drink another one tonight. This one has a pretty big ABV and the word “imperial” usually excites me. Let’s see what she has to offer.

In the Glass: The beer is pitch black in the glass. It has a creamy head on it with a thin lace that tries to hang on… but just drips all the way down as you swirl it in the glass. But the beer is dark as night.

Nose: I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the top. It smells VERY sweet, fruity, and a hint of salty caramel there at the end. It smells so good I don’t even want to drink it. This beer better taste as good as it smells, because I am sick of beers not tasting close to what they smell. Anyway, let’s see if it lives up.

Flavor: The beer is VERY smooth. Holy cow, there is hardly any carbonation in this beer. I didn’t want there to be either. Maybe that’s what the “imperial” means. When the beer first hits your lips it goes in smooth, and just dances across your palate leaving hints of honey, chocolate, and coffee all over your tongue. Holy crap, this beer is delicious.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is like a parade in your mouth. You can use that… because as soon as you drink this you will see what I mean. The beer is somewhat creamy, and frothy and just slowly coats the tongue to give your mouth a ton of flavor. The beer has very little carbonation, and when you swallow the most bubbles come out as the beer takes you to aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I like an aftertaste that sticks around. This one does. For a LONG time. At first it’s cold and sweet, then it quickly turns dry, bitter, and almost stale. But a good kind of stale. The bitterness is what I am mistaking for as stale. Anyway, the aftertaste is strong on for a good three to five minutes. The burp is nice too. This is just an all around good beer. Not sure there is anything bad I could say about this beer. Well, maybe that my glass is empty.

I am a BIG fan of this brew. Those folks over there at North Coast Brewing have done it again. Keep up the good work and bottoms up!

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - The bottle says: “Brewed in the tradition of the 18th century English brewers who supplied the Russian court of Catherine the Great. Old Rasputin develops a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big, complex flavors and a warming finish.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours black with tan head and tons of lacing on sides of Stone IRS tulip.

Smell is toasted malt, chocolate, and coffee. There is also a nice hoppy citrus in the background too.

Taste is sweet toasted malt up front. There is tons of chocolate and coffee flavor. Nice citrus begins to come through as it warms up. There is so much complexity here that I have trouble describing it.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with good carbonation.

Overall this is fantastic. One of my new favorites.

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%

Flows smoothly into snifter a gorgeous opaque pitch-black, with a luscious creamy tan head, about a finger and a half thick. Bubbly lacing on the glass. With some of best retention I've seen in a good while. MMMM.... This looks so lovely.

Roasted malt, dark chocolate and coffee-like aromas, with a little fruit in the background, enter the nose. Pleasant, complex yet a little hard to figure out.

Dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, all dark flavors all around, with just enough sweetness to balance it out. This is great savoring and aging material. Carbonation is pleasantly minimal, body is medium to heavy, although rather average for Imperial Stouts. Nice, thick and chewy, pretty much an alcoholic chocolate milkshake.

A solid Imperial Stout, and top-notch stuff altogether. Would buy again, when I'm in the mood for an Imperial Stout(if available again).

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.3 out of 5 with 12,397 ratings