Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,206 |  Reviews: 3,722

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Black, Black and more Black. 1/2" Head that last a short time.

S:Malty and Roasty with a good hop presense.

T:Malty and Toasted. Hoppy yet smooth. Strong Dark Chocolate taste.

M: Heavy and Smooth.

O: Good beer for a cold night. I would recommend.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark black with mocha colored head. The head is quite frothy and sudsy and seems like a soapy lather that coats the glass quite nice. Smells of pleasant chocolate and roasty notes. Some toffee, maybe some burnt caramel aromas. A bit like black licorice. Tastes dense and thick. Lots of roasty and burnt flavors, almost charred character, are present. Feels heavy and somewhat acrid. Alcohol warmth is present in each sip. Okay tasting RIS yet a bit too much coffee burn and hot alcohol. Don't get much hop
character as they're overpowered by the roasty notes. I think this one smells and looks much better than it tastes and feels. Personally, I think there's better RIS on the market. Glad to have tried it though. A fine beer to try and sample.

2.48/5  rDev -42.1%

Thought I would give this classic RIS my own review...

A - Pours as black as night with huge three finger mocha colored head.

S - Molasses, brown sugar, chocolate, cocoa, slight piney hops.

T - Starts out with sharp alcohol followed by bitter hops. Wow, this taste really throws me. I'm picking up very little chocolate or coffee. Malt seems to have abandoned the seen. Very hot, like drinking pure alcohol with no flavor.

M - Medium to thick. Oily and resinous.

O - This beer started off so well with the appearance and smell then just went way south with the taste. Not balanced at all. This may be my first drain pour and I can't believe it's on such a highly rated beer as this. I'm thinking I must have picked up a bad bottle or something. This beer is a hot, alcoholic mess. So disappointed. Glad I only picked up a single!

3.18/5  rDev -25.7%

Appearance- Dark black with tan head.
Smell- Dark roasted malts, coffee
Taste- Bitter, black licorice, coffee,booze.
Feel- Too much carbonation in my opinion

This is a one and done beer.. This is my first Imperial Stout and I didn't really like it that much

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Darkest brown with a 2 finger fluffy tan head. Really gorgeous beer. Great lacing!

S: Nice roasted chocolate and malts. Lots of hops too. Way more than I thought I'd get. The aroma really pulls me in and made me want to take my first sip.

T: Really rich roasted malts and chocolate. Lots of chocolate. But hops play a large role too. They come in first and get overpowered by the chocolate and a hint of coffee... then the bitterness lingers on the finish.

M: Lots of carbonation. Medium body and very creamy.

O: Wow, I've actually gotten by living in California for 3 years and I've never tried this. It was way better than I thought it would be. I really enjoyed the hop bitterness they through in paired with the decadent brownie flavors.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

well, it's a stout.

smells like roasted cocoa beans, head like rocky sea foam, feels like velvet across my tongue and tastes like an unsweetened, dark chocolate brownie with powdered sugar on top. I will stock more of these in my cellar when I get my allowance.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

One of my all-time favorites. Poured into a pint glass, I had no trouble making a ridiculous perfectly foamy tan head that sat upon the black sea of liquid. Lacing is great and you have a sudsy film floating around the whole time your drinking, which might not be as long as you might expect with a strong brew like this. It has a very strong, roasted character. It smells almost woodsy or yeasty. There is coffee in there somewhere, perhaps even espresso? It has a decent hop bite too. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming for me. Definitely a sipper, it's just overwhelming with flavor and so damn heavy. It really stays on the tongue too. By far my favorite I've had by this brewery. I am going to try my hand at brewing a clone of this later this week. Looking at the grain bill, I can see why it is such an intense beer.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Taste of Tops in Tempe, AZ.

A - Black as black can be. Thick, fluffy, latte-like head. Sits there for a long time as tall as it started. Well, until I took a sip a few minutes after the pour. Incredible.

S - Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt smack your brain. I'm inclined to describe the nose as creamy.

T - Thick, creamy roasted malt. Chocolate. Coffee. Slight alcohol. Amazing.

M - Smooth, creamy. Like a milkshake. Your mouth becomes filled with a residual roasty taste.

While Old Rasputin is great out of the bottle and the regular tap, nitro-tap puts it on another level.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

A - Pours a deep black with an out of control foamy latte head.

A - Blast of hops - not sure what kind, but a softer C-hop variety, I guess. Then there's some roasted malts warning me of what's to come.

T - When it's cool I pick up the hops, just like I wanted to. Good, they're zesty. I hear American varietals were used, I don't mind that.
When the beer is warm enough to be enjoyed: sweet, smooth malt. Kinda tastes English. It's very flavorful, but not overly sweet or roasty. The finish has some bite to it.... acrid towards the end of the beer. Other than that, it's not overly interesting. I don't think it's too young, I just think this a tame beer. Some heat at the end makes the beer fun.

M - It's smooth and full-bodied. The beer doesn't weigh you down, though. Plus the finish is dry. Definitely Chico.

O - This beer drinks tooo easy. On the one hand, it's nice having a 9% behemoth just glide away. On the other hand, I wish there were more of interest in this beer. Maybe I'm spoiled, but for as taut as this beer is, I wish there were something more to it. I think the yeast is too boring, the crystal malt could impart a little more pit-fruit flavor, and the roasted character could be a slightly more aggressive.

Sure, for anyone like me on a seasonal Doppelbock binge right now, this will compare to a bull out of the pen. But as far as RIS's go, its tame than usual.

Fine beer. It leaves a hoppy-acrid linger at the back of my palate that not other beer will match for a long time to come.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Pours pitch black with a three finger cream colored head. Dissipates to a nice foam and lacing along the sides.

S - Mocha and a caramel from the roasted malts. Piney hops fades in and out.

T - A slightly sweet chocolate at first. A mild caramel followed by a bitter hop finish.

M - Full body with light carbonation. Slightly creamy, good for the style.

O - This is a good overall beer. Nice flavors and silky body. Excellent depth to the aroma. A little less of the piney, bitter hops would improve it in my eyes, but other than that it is a great beer.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Pour-Basically black with a medium brown head, thick, luscious and creamy head, completely opaque, thick lacing, is this crude oil? Head doesn’t hold that well but the lacing is REALLY thick

Nose-Chocolate, coffee, dark caramel malts, everything that is dark is in this beer

Palate-A little bit of sweet up front, a ton of sour and a moderate amount of bitter. Semi-sweet, almost scorched chocolate, actually only light coffee, but dark roast, incredibly dark caramel malts and grains. There is also a hint of fruity flavor

Body-Thick, creamy, heavy and syrupy, incredibly smooth and rich, luscious texture. Somehow a decent amount of effervescence. This is an incredible beer, I love this stuff and would get it again in a heartbeat.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.