Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,207 |  Reviews: 3,722
1.5/5  rDev -65%

1.5/5  rDev -65%

1.52/5  rDev -64.5%

1.62/5  rDev -62.1%

I know this beer gets rave reviews, however...

I have enjoyed other RIS's but this one is just plain ugh.

It looks good enough, very dark brown, almost black, ruby around the edge against a light. Nice brown two finger head, goes down to a pretty lace after a while.

Smell is a little strange, very fruity, but not much else.

Taste...ARRRGH! Fruit and alcohol, kinda like Boone's Farm or something. Yuck!

Mouthfeel is as it should be, kinda thick, but not really thick.

Drinkability Well...I bought four of these, and have managed to choke down two, but the other two are probobly destined for the trash hopper.

Like I said, I have enjoyed other RIS's before, Sam Smith's is my fave, but I think Old Rasp is a little high on the ABV at 9%. It makes it too heavy more my taste buds to handle.

1.72/5  rDev -59.8%

1.75/5  rDev -59.1%

1.9/5  rDev -55.6%

I was completely excited seeing this stocked here in the East Coast and decided to give it a try.

Please, PLEASE if the brewers are reading this, you need to dial the hops back at least 50% from where they are now. There is nothing more disappointing than having a great midnight beach hang with the pooper, place the snifter out, pour what looks to be a fantastic beer with great head & lacing, only to smell hops right off the bat.

Then the taste, come on man. Please. Someone please stop with the hops already. An Imperial Stout should be bready, malty, with some dark cherry, plums, raisins maybe, with subtle licorice and coffee overtones, but never, EVER hoppy!

Thank God I brought a variety down to the beach with me. If have been pissed to have to walk back and get more beer.

1.91/5  rDev -55.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Usually I'm not a fan of Imperial Stouts, but this one looked cool and I was hooked into buying it for the looks and name. Pours a very dark color with a moderate sized tan head that dies off after a few minutes. Leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma was burned malts and coffee/chocolate and some sort of spiciness (odd for an imperial stout?). This is a big beer. The flavor was majorly strong. Way too strong for my taste buds to accept. Tastes of alcohol, burned malts, slight spiciness, and maybe a little fruitiness. Didn't care much for it.

1.92/5  rDev -55.1%

1.94/5  rDev -54.7%

I want to like this beer. Really, I do. I'm crazy about imperial stouts and I read the praise everyone has for this beer, but I can't help but think that I'm unlucky enough to keep purchasing skunked beer upon skunked beer.

Sharper than other imperial stouts, spicer and hoppier than I would prefer. Acrid taste, almost far too sharp to be palatable. Sample has drain pour written all over it, but I've bought this beer three different times during the past year with the same experience.

If ever I can find good things to say about Rasputin, I will joyfully update and upgrade my ratings. But until then, this is just nasty.

Had high hopes but just didn't enjoy this - not the look in the glass (little head), the aroma, not the taste... nor the finish. Maybe was an old bottle (didn't see a date). Might give it another chance but for now this is a NO from me. Sorry Raspy!

2.03/5  rDev -52.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.25

This review will be far from the norm, and doesn't reflect bad on the beer, but my own taste. I do respect this beer for its amazing scores, style, complexity... But with all that being said; I couldn't finish my glass. I tried this beer at the Yardouse with a friend. I hate bitterness, I like smooth, complex, deep, slight hops, lots of malt, type beers. Aboslutely way to bitter for me. I try and finish every beer, even if I don't like it, because I want to be sure I don't like it. I left half of a pint glass with this and the Yardhouse bartender gave me a refund. Not MY cup of tea.

2.08/5  rDev -51.4%

2.11/5  rDev -50.7%

alcohol tasting; mouth feel only adequate

2.12/5  rDev -50.5%

First, I must disclose that this is my first Russian Imperial Stout and if this is typical of the style, I won't be having too many more! This brew has in it's favor an almost black color and a nice rich aroma, you can smell the alchohol. But, it's all about the taste! This tasted far too bitter and hoppy, and left a horrible aftertaste in the back of the mouth!
Again , I enjoy sweet stouts, like Murphy's, so make your judgements accordingly!!

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.