Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,232 |  Reviews: 3,727

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Look: Black, with a mocha brown head, and good lacing

Smell: Coffee, dark fruit, toffee, and a touch of chocolate

Taste: Up Front: Roasted malts. Finish: Dark fruit, alcohol, espresso

Mouthfeel: Full body, rich and creamy, with low carbonation

Drinkability: Very good considering the style

Overall Impression: At one time this was my favorite R.I.S. What can I say, it still kicks ass!

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Pours an opaque mahogany color that produces a nice rich ruby/brown head that dissipates verrry slowly and leaves a brown lacing

S: The nose is bitter right off the bat with burnt malts, bitter-sweet chocolate, coffee, molasses, cocoa, hops and espresso

T: Much hoppier and bitter than I expected. Huge roasted notes, chocolate, coffee, caramel, molasses, and burnt malts

MF/D: Super chewy, oily, silky, creamy, and just delicious.

A little bitter for me, but those who love hops will love this one

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A-Very dark brown with a merangue-like three fingers of dark tan head that leaves fine lace on the glass.

S-Sweet and smoky burnt maltiness,faint lemongrass hops and cocoa.

T/M-BIG toasted malty chocolate and mocha coffee flavors with a decent bitter hop bite to balance.Warming alcohol in the finish.

M-Thick and chewy,very creamy.

D-One of my faves especially around the holidays.Very well made,worth eleven bucks a 4-pack.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Thick, coffee ice cream-colored head that sticks around for a while. Espresso-dark and thick - coats the mug nicely. Mild, dry aroma with toasted-burnt but pleasant crispy malt. Taste is very dry with slight bitterness on the palate. Deep, dark roasted backbone that's very warming to the senses. Strong espresso roast tones. Slight metallic aftertaste (packaging?). No overly alcoholic flavor - this is very well balanced. This stuff coats the mouth - even though it's a little dry and bitter at times it's very thick and soothing. Very well-made to enjoy in moderation.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

A- A muddy, deep pitch black coffee with a creamy mocha head.

S- Definitive coffee. Back tones of chocolate. Slight fruity smell with overtones of rosted malt.

T- Again, coffee. An earthy licorice rich with complex flavors. Strong aftertaste of cocoa. Hints of vanilla. A little too alcoholy.

M- Thick and creamy

D- Definitely a sipping beer. A good stout. Big, filling and thick. A good beer for cold weather. Strong on the back of the tounge with alcohol. Definitely have to drink it slow.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

This has so many reviews by now that I can't make any descriptions that haven't been repeated a hundred times already. So I'll just give my overall thoughts.

The first time I tried Old Rasputin I was in love with it. I was still very new in the craft beer world, and hadn't had many (or maybe any) of the top rated stouts in the world. Rasputin was an afforable, roasty, flavorful monster that I latched onto. Since then, I have had the pleasure of trying many gigantic imperial stouts and I no longer feel the same love for the Rasputin.

However, I still find it to be a very nice beer. Nice roastiness without tasting too burnt...not enough body to really make me happy but at least its not thin....awesome drinkability for a 9% beer. This is a beer that is perfect for beginners and still very good for veterans.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A: An aggressive pour yields a 1 finger, very dark head and a black body. Lace looks promising.

S: Dark malt that's mostly chocolate but with a touch of coffee grounds. Alcohol is fairly obvious.

T: Pretty sweet but a great flavorful blend. Molasses and chocolate assist a plum note and a touch of cinnamon.

M: Highly carbonated and the alcohol is noticeable. This is easy to drink although the finish is slightly sticky.

O: Loyal to the style, this beer is worth trying. Solid flavor blend with no real drawback other than a limited nose.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Finally had a shot at one of the legends so I had to take a stab at it. My first North Coast and not my last as their distribution is increasing in my area.

A: Pitch black with a nice mocha head that stuck around.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee.

T: Off the bat you get the coffee and chocolate but soon the hops take over (lacks balance imo), really socks it to you.

M: Good consistency and texture, nice sipping beer.

D: Good brew overall, but didn't quite live up to the hype surrounding it. I enjoyed it but the hops were just way out of balance and sunk it for me. I've just had better RIS's, but this is pretty unique so give it a shot if you can get it.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Very dark brown, with a nice tan, creamy head.

Nose is highly roasted malts with dark, dark chocolate, a little black licorice and some piney hops.

Taste very much follows the nose. This one is about the roasty, black malts and hops. Rasputin is more on the dry/bitter side for the style, not much sweetness here. The most impressive thing is the finish: bitter, roasty, earthy, piney, and high cacao chocolate.

Nice full body, without too much carbonation.

A classic big stout that is thankfully available year round. Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a stubby bottle with no freshness date, into a pint glass. Poured very dark brown with tan head that stayed around for a while. Strong scents of over cooked barley, dark chocolate and coffee. Strong coffee flavors some cocoa. Nice roasted after taste. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth. Alcohol is well hidden. Drinkable nature would be limited to one for me because of the strong flavor. Very nice sipper.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

It was difficult for me to figure out the "drinkability" score on this one. On one hand, it's not the kind of beer that I can see myself having every day, as it's a bit on the strong side, flavor-wise. On the other hand, when I'm in the mood for one, it's perfect. That's the trick I guess - being in the mood for one.

That said, this beer almost looks syrupy when you pour it into a glass. You definitely notice a distinct mouthfeel with it, as it's smooth and creamy.

The high alchohol content is not that noticeable, but this is the kind of beer that hits you from your tongue all the way up to the bridge of your nose.

For me, the perfect time for this beer is at night while I'm settling down and watching TV. It usually takes me about an hour to get through, as it's not the sort of thing that I could - or even want to - just pound down.

Oh yeah!

Poured out a nice solid black color with a tan head.

Smell consisted of lots and lots of coffee/espresso aromas. Roasted malts also come through. A hint of earth can be found in the background.

Taste was good. Big roasted malt flavors ride through the beginning and almost into the aftertaste. Some hops thrown in to balance it out. Big flavors in this one. The coffee comes through underlying the malts in the middle. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel was medium to full bodied. Carbonation was on the light side to make the flavors show up.

A nice evening sipper for sure. Didn't except to see the flavors to show so much muscle. A nice surprise.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Very dark black, completely opaque, with no hints of color on the fringe of the glass. Tan head that has moderate retention, but beautiful lacing.

S: Cherry, plum and walnut aroma. Dark roasted malts and charcoal. Alcohol phenols.

T: Roasted malt, with dark chocolate and cherry. The secondary notes are of espresso, chocolate and beautiful american hop balance, that creates this bitter, yet sweet harmony. Dry and warm finish.

M: Medium body with mid to low carbonation. Alcohol warmth and distinct bitterness.

O: A fantastic RIS. It became more sweet and syrupy as it warmed up. I would definitely recommend this beer.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A cellar temperature bottle is poured into a small snifter. The liquid is an opaque, deep brown color. The head is foamy and also brown. An impressive coat of foam and film is left behind as I swirl the beer around the glass.

A malty nose contains notes of dark chocolate and coffee beans. It is more sweet than bitter, but I wouldn't call it a sweet smell--it's more complex than that.

The taste of this beer closely mirrors its aroma. There is a powered milk chocolate taste initially. Weak coffee and dark chocolate flavors appear in the middle, before I swallow. Some bitterness appears as the beer is consumed. Some alcohol is also present at this time. The aftertaste isn't my thing; there's too much of the alcohol and coffee bitterness for me (obviously, I'm not a coffee drinker).

The mouthfeel is very impressive, considering this is a 9% ABV beer. It is a little sticky, but doesn't feel thick. Carbonation is at a good level. A little film is left coating my mouth, but it isn't as large as other beers in this style.

This is a pretty drinkable RIS. It is not overkill to purchase and consume this by the four pack. A bottle or two would be great to accompany a meal (or dessert) or on its own. The fact that this beer is readily available year-round makes it a good go to RIS.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A Black black black with a very healthy mocha colored head.

S Chocolate and some hops

T Bitter chocolate and coffee. The roast lingers for a while finishing with a slight bitterness. Very roasty

M Creamy goodness.

O A classic RIS. Solid beer. Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

When I poured it into a typical pint mug, this beer instantly excited my eyes. Beautiful dark liquid with a thick tan head. The first taste packs a punch and dares you to take a second. I find a taste reminiscent of a smooth espresso drink. I have to admit, the alcohol taste is quite strong in this drink for me. I would really approve of the taste more if I couldn't taste the alcohol so much.

As I drank, the head stuck to the sides of the glass, which, in my opinion, shows character in a beer. Even as I finish the beer, I see where the head started at the top of the glass.

I have to admit, I'm still lacking in the smell department. I don't get the subtle hints that everyone else mentions. I'll continue to work on this ability.

I'm relatively new to the world of beer, but I've been keeping a ranking list for each new beer I try. I would definitely put this beer in my top 10 beers, and absolutely above all American beers I've tried thus far.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.