Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,159 |  Reviews: 3,711
2.22/5  rDev -48.1%

This beer poured an opaque black with a big tawny head, which didn't last too long.

The smell is powerful. Fruity and alcoholic with spicey notes lingering in the background. Juicey fruit gum, soaked in vodka. Different, but not complex.

Taste is unpalatable. The roasts are too sharp, too bitter; the alcohol is too overpowering.

I didn't finish my 12 oz bottle. My mouth reviled at the taste and I had a hangover before I consumed 8 oz.

2.25/5  rDev -47.4%

2.25/5  rDev -47.4%

2.35/5  rDev -45.1%

2.36/5  rDev -44.9%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

G- Riedel 6416/07

A- Black, showing black-olive green under direct light. Coarse foamy head.

S- Predominant burnt smells, a hint of roast. An annoying off-smell of a dirty ash tray and old cigarettes plagues this beer's aromatic presentation.

T- One dimensional, simple burnt flavor with strong ash tray impressions. A bit of old coffee grounds. No complexity to speak of. Flavors did not entice. Short, sharp, finish with only bitterness lingering.

M- Fizzy CO2 which throws this beer further off balance.

D- Physically drinkable, but this beer did not entice. No seduction here.

Serving- 12oz bottle.

2.41/5  rDev -43.7%

A - Black and Opaque. Similiar to other Russian imperial stouts. Fair carbonation and a very nice head.

S - Full bodied, complex. Notes of Barleywine, Malt, and licorice.

T - OR tastes of malt and barelywine. Unlike other Russian Imperials OR seems to lack deep mocha/coffee notes. It reminds me of a Russian Imperial version of Skullsplitter.

M - Thick.

D - I am not impressed with OR's drinkability. While I could easily drink multiple Samuel Smith Imperials, it seems that I can just not stomach OR.

All in all, fans of barleywine and malt with adore this brew. On the other hand, I dislike it.

2.43/5  rDev -43.2%

I had this on a nitro tap at Sunset Grill. The next day I also had a bottle and found that I liked the bottle better. The nitro made the beer smoother, but I don't think that's what makes the beer. The carbonation of the bottle matched with the strong flavors in this beer while the nitro felt like it was trying to mellow a big beer.

Overall I'm not a big fan of Rasputin. It seems to be especially harsh for it's alcohol content. I also find that after about 2/3 of the way through the beer I wish I was done. The flavor profile isn't complex enough to carry me through.

2.45/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.46/5  rDev -42.5%

Never thought I'd say this, but this beer was too highly hopped for me. Nice dark espresso color and low carbonation, smelled of caramel malt, but could barely taste it. I love highly hopped beers (Stone's Ruination is a favorite) but not so much with the stouts and this could have been so much more if the malt could come forward a little.

2.48/5  rDev -42.1%

Smooth, dry, not a ton of flavor

Reviewed 8/5/2008 (bottle):

Pours an inky black colored body, with a gray brown head, with some good lacing but not very lasting. Aroma has some alcohol and some dark malts, nuttiness. Malty taste and some dustiness. Somewhat hot. Some dark chocolate. Too much for me.

2.48/5  rDev -42.1%

Thought I would give this classic RIS my own review...

A - Pours as black as night with huge three finger mocha colored head.

S - Molasses, brown sugar, chocolate, cocoa, slight piney hops.

T - Starts out with sharp alcohol followed by bitter hops. Wow, this taste really throws me. I'm picking up very little chocolate or coffee. Malt seems to have abandoned the seen. Very hot, like drinking pure alcohol with no flavor.

M - Medium to thick. Oily and resinous.

O - This beer started off so well with the appearance and smell then just went way south with the taste. Not balanced at all. This may be my first drain pour and I can't believe it's on such a highly rated beer as this. I'm thinking I must have picked up a bad bottle or something. This beer is a hot, alcoholic mess. So disappointed. Glad I only picked up a single!

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured into a tumbler in late 2013.

A: Opaque black. Motor oil. 2 finger head.

S: Coffee, bitterness.

T: Sweet chocolate, roasty malt, bitterness on the back end.

O: This was ok at first, but then the bitterness took over and I wasn't enjoying it. There was a little bit of alcohol burn in the nostrils. I ended up drain pouring it because of the bitterness.

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.