Old Rasputin | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old RasputinOld Rasputin
4.3/5
Outstanding
Old RasputinOld Rasputin

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#516

View: Beers
Ratings: 12,397 |  Reviews: 3,759

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

i first tried this in Juneau, Alaska... Now I find it in Queens for $2.99 a bottle... perfect.

Diabolical looking son of a bitch. pitch black, coffee head, deceptively slow to dissolve.

Smells of fresh bread, coffee, brandy, grapes, dried meat, cinnamon, clove, licorice.

First it's a strong espresso w sugar, then alcohol and dark chocolate. It's quite bitter as well. There's a woodiness to it. Nice warming finish as stated on the bottle. On my third sip, I breath in as well and get some rich spices (cinammon, pepper, clove, basil, and more) before the espresso. This is an incredibely complex beer. It's extremely smooth as well. Definitely a slow sipper.

it's unique, complex, fits the style, strong, creamy, smells amazing, inexpensive, the bottle looks cool. What more should I expect in a beer? Should I rate this lower because of a beer that I haven't tried and will probably have to drive for 13 hours and stand in line for a day to obtain? This is totally worth the 3 block walk for me.

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a pint glass, the color is opaque black. An impressive head, one and a half fingers, very creamy, nice retention.

The smell has a pretty strong, grassy hop presence coexisting with bittersweet chocolate and a tinge of roasted coffee bean. Underneath, there is a less up-front base level of dark malt.

At times, I feel like I'm drinking a particularly dark IPA. Bitterness from lots of hops is always at the forefront of the taste. After that, comes lots of coffee bitterness and dark chocolate. Roasted malt barely manages to balance out the hops. Barely. Warm alcohol also becomes a prevalent feature of the taste once the beer warms up. The mouthfeel gravitates towards the pricklier, carbonated side, rather than the creamy stout way of doing things. But I find this appropriate, owing to the more bitter nature of the brew. Still, maybe just a bit more substance to the mouthfeel might be nice...

I first tried this beer a year ago, and it instantly became one of my favorites. A year later, and it still lives up to my taste. Solid, a really beautiful beer with a unique take on the Imperial Stout.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a miniature Cigar City sifter.

A:Pours a dark black with a light brown head. Very little lacing.

S: Smells of burnt malts, not much coffee or chocolate hints as some other stouts.

T: Maybe I had an off bottle, but the taste was very bland and didn't have that nice chocolate, burnt coffee taste I so desire in my stouts.

M: Very bland on the palate for me I'm afraid. Just didn't have that oomph that most good stouts have.

O: Not my favorite stout and was disappointed after hearing such good things about it.

Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.3 out of 5 with 12,397 ratings