Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
94%
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 12,258 ratings
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#496
Liked:
4.3/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 12,258 |  Reviews: 3,735

4.17/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Could not locate bottle date, poured into CBS snifter directly after consuming an aged KBS. Beer pours dark blackish brown, tons of head from pouring vigorously into glass....almost spilling over. Beer smells hops and tons of roasted malts.....almost like smelling the crumb tray from an old toaster. Taste is definitely roasty, and coffee like...quite a bit of bitterness, classic RIS. Good mouthfeel, I generally like a bit more chewiness in my stouts but this has enough to back up the taste. Overall, definitely a go-to stout. Always available on shelves near me, when I am in doubt I grab this one.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

So, I had this on tap at the 9:30 Club in DC, which is good and bad. The bad: they served it in a plastic cup and too cold, which is why I didn't rate it as highly as I possibly could have.

It was black with no head and no lacing (likely due to the cup) and the nose opened up as it warmed up with dark roasted malts, coffee and hints of chocolate I could definitely smell a bit of the alcohol too.

The taste was phenomenal! Lots of coffee and a molasses. It did have a bit of bitter finish, though, which was OK with me.

It was kind of creamy for the mouthfeel and thinner than I would I've expected, but awesome overall. I'll definitely seek it out in the future.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at World of Beer North Hills on 12/29/11. Served in a small snifter.

Pours a pitch black with thick, creamy, cascading mountain of cappuccino colored head that has great retention. The nose offers rich chocolate aromas, some roasted malts and coffee, and even some faint anise. The flavor is similar with rich chocolate and coffee with faint anise, but there are also heavy alcohol esters and a very faint astringency in the finish. The alcohol is intense, but doesn't take away from the flavor. It's a very rich, smooth, warm, full bodied beer.

This is a great RIS. I've had it several times before, but this is the first time I had it on tap. I'll go back to this stout again and again.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

My first review in about six months, been away for a while, but it feels good to be back, had this four-pack cellared since a Beers of the World trip last November, thought I would break it out to help get back into the swing of things.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a DFH snifter:

A-Jet-black with nothing getting through this beauty, a touch of head that quickly ends up in a beautiful toffee-ish ring and just a bit of lacing

S-I get quite a bit of black strap molasses, coffee, chocolate, my lovely wife contends that there is a green olive feature there, but I don't get that at all

T-Interesting, very complex, definitely coffee and chocolate are present, I also get the molasses, it seems pretty mellow, this might be from the year that I put it away for, but the alcohol is not at all present. There is a little bit of after-taste, but nothing unpleasant at all

M-There's more carbonation present than I would have expected, but it seems a bit thin on the tongue, not at all thick and chunky like some RIS varieties

O-well worth the wait, both for the year that it sat and for me to get back to reviewing...

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass. A dark black pour with wonderful, frothy 2 finger head, big lacing. Inviting.

Complex aroma of molasses, roasted coffee, some chocolate backed by balanced hop bitterness.

Taste starts coffee like fading into molasses finishing dry with big hops. The hops stay with you along time. Taste moves from one element to the other and leaves nothing to want. Complex and powerful flavors.

Mouth feel is creamy, effervescent all balanced.

Perhaps there are more recent, unique takes on this style with bourbon barrel aging and vanilla overtones but this beer represents the standard for Russian Imperial Stout. One of my fravorite all time beers. Never had an off bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 94% out of 100 with 12,258 ratings