Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Ratings: 12,210 |  Reviews: 3,722

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%

4 pack, around $8. no freshness date. poured into a snifter

a- pours jet black. no light getting through. beige/cream-colored thick half inch of head. thick lacing

s- raisins, milk chocolate, slight hints of coffee

t- roasted malts and licorice, lots of espresso, some boozyness. pretty hoppy for a stout.

m- velvety...so velvety. medium-ish body. a bit of an alcohol burn. bitter aftertaste

o- pretty awesome RIS. Definitely lives up to its reputation.

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Sometimes on Beer Advocate, I think we all see a score that a beer has obtained and it affects the score that you give it when rating said beer. What I mean by this is if a beer has a good score, we are more likely to score it higher or vice versa for a bad beer. Old Rasputin was one that I made sure I bucked this trend because I did not enjoy this as much as other Imperial Stouts I have had.

I drank this beer 3-4 years ago and didn't remember much about it so I had to try it again. Unfortunately, I hoped it would have been better.

It poured a very dark black and a had a nice, big tan colored foam head. This is where things started going downhill for me. As hard as I tried to smell all of the things I like about a Russian Imperial (dark fruit, malts, booze), I only got the faintest hint of a malty stout. The taste was very hoppy up front. I tried to taste the dark fruits that usually come with a RIS and even though they were there it was a mostly watery finish. I have to say that if I tried to do a blind taste test on this beer, I am not even sure if I would know it was a RIS because it doesn't have enough of a distinctive taste.

I didn't hate this beer. I do like Imperial Stouts and they are especially good this time of year as I am reviewing this beer 2 days before Christmas. That said, there are many other Russian Imperial Stouts I would pick over this one.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Very black with a foamy, three finger head. Nice amount of lacing.

Smell- Chocolate with hints of roasted malt, wood and coffee.

Taste- Mix of chocolate, coffee, and burnt wood. I got a bit of alcohol taste in the first swallow but it completely disappeared after the second.

Mouthfeel- Creamy and smooth. Full bodied and perfectly carbonated.

Overall- I am very pleased with this one. I bought it on the recommendation of the store clerk and I am glad I did. Complex and robust but not overpowering. I am going to recommend this to all my stout drinking friends.

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours think like motor oil. So black it's like staring into a black hole. A nice three finger milk chocolate colored head. Some lacing, but honestly it's as if the beer would rather cling to ITSELF than the glass.

S - Nice weighty aroma of burnt grains, charcoal, molasses, wood. Tantalizing.

T - A complex blend of dark cocoa nubs, brown sugar, burnt toast, charcoal, raisins, and espresso, with a refreshing bit of bitterning hops coming out right at the end. Yes, you can actually taste the hops in this stout. What a concept! Alcohol carries all the way through, becoming more present as it warms, and the aftertaste of bitter hops and chocolate goes on for what seems like days. Stunning.

M- Velvety and chewy. Low carbination suits the taste elements and alcohol content perfectly. Finishes slightly dry.

O - This is one amazing stout, and one of the more complex I have tasted. The extra hopping really adds something that many stouts are missing in my opinion. If you truly enjoy big, slightly boozy blasts of dark/burnt/bitter flavors, this one is for you! Highly recommended.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.