Old Rasputin | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old RasputinOld Rasputin
4.3/5
Outstanding
Old RasputinOld Rasputin

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#541

View: Beers
Ratings: 12,453 |  Reviews: 3,771
4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

A: This is a very nice looking beer. I pour the beer out of a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. The beer is a very blackish brown with a three finger head that is dark tan. The beer fades rather quickly and leaves a lot of lace on the glass.

S: The smell of this beer is very pleasant. To me there isn't as much booze as I was expecting. It is strong in chocolate, coffee and even a little liquorice. It also has a foresty wood smell with roasted malt.

T: Wow! There are almost no words for how amazing this beer is. The first few seconds you get a strong amount of roasted malt and then as the beer lingers you start to get several different flavors, like chocolate and coffee. Its just amazing.

M: This is a very nice feeling beer. It burns the tongue a tiny bit on the tongue and the back of the throat, but for as high of alcohol, it is very nice. It isnt the smoothest or best feeling RIS, but it doesn't take away from the beer at all.

O: I have had this several times and it just seems to get better and better the more I have it. The taste is top notch and few compare. One of the best quality to price beers you can possibly get on the market.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into snifter glass. Black in color and opaque, with a dense mocha colored head, almost gone in a few minutes leaving small spots of scattered lacing. Smell is black chocolate up front, with faint booze and cream. Taste starts with a bitter and burnt explosion, finished by subtle sweet chocolate and alcohol lingering. Entirely drinkable and creamy.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.09/5  rDev -4.9%

4 pack, around $8. no freshness date. poured into a snifter

a- pours jet black. no light getting through. beige/cream-colored thick half inch of head. thick lacing

s- raisins, milk chocolate, slight hints of coffee

t- roasted malts and licorice, lots of espresso, some boozyness. pretty hoppy for a stout.

m- velvety...so velvety. medium-ish body. a bit of an alcohol burn. bitter aftertaste

o- pretty awesome RIS. Definitely lives up to its reputation.

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Sometimes on Beer Advocate, I think we all see a score that a beer has obtained and it affects the score that you give it when rating said beer. What I mean by this is if a beer has a good score, we are more likely to score it higher or vice versa for a bad beer. Old Rasputin was one that I made sure I bucked this trend because I did not enjoy this as much as other Imperial Stouts I have had.

I drank this beer 3-4 years ago and didn't remember much about it so I had to try it again. Unfortunately, I hoped it would have been better.

It poured a very dark black and a had a nice, big tan colored foam head. This is where things started going downhill for me. As hard as I tried to smell all of the things I like about a Russian Imperial (dark fruit, malts, booze), I only got the faintest hint of a malty stout. The taste was very hoppy up front. I tried to taste the dark fruits that usually come with a RIS and even though they were there it was a mostly watery finish. I have to say that if I tried to do a blind taste test on this beer, I am not even sure if I would know it was a RIS because it doesn't have enough of a distinctive taste.

I didn't hate this beer. I do like Imperial Stouts and they are especially good this time of year as I am reviewing this beer 2 days before Christmas. That said, there are many other Russian Imperial Stouts I would pick over this one.

Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.3 out of 5 with 12,453 ratings