Old Rasputin | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old RasputinOld Rasputin
4.3/5
Outstanding
Old RasputinOld Rasputin

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#538

View: Beers
Ratings: 12,438 |  Reviews: 3,767
4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

I don't know if I've been so pleasantly surprised by a dark....and I do mean DARK beer, ever in my life. It had that nifty rich head, which is a walnut color and it sat thick and tidy on top of the brew. The color was as black as night and very smooth feeling for something I was expecting to be heavy and syrupy. The powerful coffee opener was magical, there was NO BITTER BITE at the tail end. I was entranced. I broke out some organic white chocolate bark from Baltimore with almonds and blueberries it. The pairing was incredible. I don't get this excited about beers. I can't wait to carry it at the bar!!!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

i first tried this in Juneau, Alaska... Now I find it in Queens for $2.99 a bottle... perfect.

Diabolical looking son of a bitch. pitch black, coffee head, deceptively slow to dissolve.

Smells of fresh bread, coffee, brandy, grapes, dried meat, cinnamon, clove, licorice.

First it's a strong espresso w sugar, then alcohol and dark chocolate. It's quite bitter as well. There's a woodiness to it. Nice warming finish as stated on the bottle. On my third sip, I breath in as well and get some rich spices (cinammon, pepper, clove, basil, and more) before the espresso. This is an incredibely complex beer. It's extremely smooth as well. Definitely a slow sipper.

it's unique, complex, fits the style, strong, creamy, smells amazing, inexpensive, the bottle looks cool. What more should I expect in a beer? Should I rate this lower because of a beer that I haven't tried and will probably have to drive for 13 hours and stand in line for a day to obtain? This is totally worth the 3 block walk for me.

Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.3 out of 5 with 12,438 ratings