Old Rasputin | North Coast Brewing Co.

Old RasputinOld Rasputin
4.3/5
Outstanding
Old RasputinOld Rasputin

North Coast Brewing Co.
northcoastbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

#538

View: Beers
Ratings: 12,437 |  Reviews: 3,765
4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

A- This is very jet black, with a finger width and a half of tan fluffy head. This is very much like one would expect to get from a RIS in terms of the appearance.

S- I'm getting a great coffee and chocolate smell with a hint of vanilla. There is a slight anise smell too, which I'm excited about, I'm a fan of anise in RIS beers. I'm also getting a some hop smell, lets see if that is there with the taste.

T- The coffee taste is there in the beginning...stays in the middle of the taste, but is more of a force in the end. The chocolate taste is slight, and I'm getting some cherry there with it as well. The anise smell didn't stay with the taste. The taste is good, a bit more coffee then I would want, I guess its not the amount of coffee that is there, but the bitterness that results. I do like the sweetness that is there from time to time though.

M- This is slightly dry, and I feel kinda a weird coating over my mouth.

D- Very drinkable, and tasty. I'm glad this is regularly released in my area.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: very dark chestnut, almost black; big frothy tan head after aggressive pour; long lasting and good lacing

Smell: roasted grains dominate; light hop aroma; dried figs

Taste: creamy malt on start with immediate hit of hops and roasted grain; warming alcohol shows up in the mid; finishes semi-sweet with the malt and hops; dry lingering roasted grain aftertaste; very complex overall

Mouthfeel: creamy all around; really coats the tongue.

Remarks: my first RIS. I hope they're all this good

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

This is a great overall stout. It pours to a classic dark, moderately carbonated state. It's got a solid, full-flavor taste, and a nice bitter chocolate aftertaste. Very drinkable considering the alcohol content and style. I can definitely see more of this in my future.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

appearnace - Black in color with a decent side head and it left some lace on the glass.

smell - Chocolate, java, roasted malt.

taste - mmmm lots of coffee and chocolate here, and ending with some bitterness from the hops.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - Nice drinking beer , recommend a try.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into an American pint glass.

A: Thick dark brown/black, with a tan head that lasted and laced fairly well.

S: Coffee, chocolate, woodiness, vanilla, and caramel. Very sweet overall.

T: The flavor was more balanced than the nose, with all of the aforementioned flavors evident, with a hint of alcoholic presence on the finish, but not overpowering. Very well done.

M: Like drinking thick chocolate milk; very velvety smooth on the palate.

D: With such intense flavor, it might be a little too much for sessioning, but I'd still give it a try ;-)

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Black as night with a dark tan head. Head was thick,retention was good, and lacing solid. Very nice roasty aroma, strong alcohol notes on the palate. A very complex big beer that mellowed me out just right. Not really my favorite style but I sure appreciated this big beer. I did like that the 8%ABV made this more drinkable than some of the 10% Imperials I have tried. Great brew!

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours out pitch black with foamy tan head. Nice lacing.

Aroma. Strong licorice aroma. Under that it has very nice chocolate smell with espresso notes to it. It is an interesting smell because I see it as sweet and dry at the same time. Hops really give this a nice crispness, yet it seems creamy. Very interesting.

Taste. Very nice RIS. Starts off with a nice bitterness, thick flavors of malts too, very roasted malts, and some bits of burnt malts. Also has a slight yeasty and waxy character to it. As it warms up, I get a good amount more of the licorice tastes to it. Aftertaste is roasted malts with black coffee hints with a nice warming.

Mouthfeel. Very full mouthfeel, creamy and chewy. Nice amount of carbonation. Balance is excellent- I’m overwhelmed with both the malt character and the hops.

Overall. A great RIS and an incredible beer! A perfect sipper, yet I’m drinking this quicker than I expected, I could probably finish it in about 30-40 minutes. Just great balance and great flavors. One excellent beer I am glad I can pick up in baton rouge.

Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.3 out of 5 with 12,437 ratings