Old Rasputin XXII (Aged in Bourbon Barrels)
North Coast Brewing Co.

View: Beers
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 8 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
robwired from Kansas

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a pleasant suprise. I went to Barley's Kitchen + Tap in Overland Park, Kansas, and saw this on the rotating menu. I was told it was a $13 draw, but an experience the previous weekend and my experience with North Coast Rasputin said to go with it. I'm glad I did.
When I did a check-in on Untappd, it said "No longer in production." But I didn't need a sample to go for it.
Consider the 11.3% ABV. Consider the smooth finish that didn't have a boozy burn or bite. This is not to say I did not enjoy the boozy content. I did. So did my ear lobes as they warmed. But before I took a sip, my olfactory senses were met with smells of bourbon, dark roast coffee.
My taste buds were rewarded, and a review was an afterthought. A fine night.

Jun 20, 2020
REVZEB from Illinois

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In these uncharted times of pandemic, I was inspired by the "which beer would survive longest" thread to crack open Old Rasputin. Brownish black smooth body with a light brown cap. Let's actually talk about the feel, still the hallmark of the series in my opinion year in and year out. Stupid smooth, great warm, booze you feel in your cheeks without the burn, lush but not heavy at all, almost smoky velvet. Smells of bourbon, big oak, coffee, dark cocoa, and roasted malt. Taste takes these flavors and subtly warms them up to bring out more flavors: leather, tobacco, and dried fig. Well done once again!

Apr 03, 2020
Roguer from Georgia

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Huge, very dark head, atop an equally imposing body. Good retention.

Impressively roasty nose, swimming in tones of caramel, brown sugar, toast, coffee, chocolate, licorice, bourbon, oak, char. An absolutely imposing beast of a beer - and a delicious-smelling one, at that.

Equally huge and bitter on the palate, with very similar tones as the nose. A touch more oak, and far more bitterness. Smooth and big-bodied, but not exactly chewy. The high bitterness makes this more of a sipper than the booze, however; it's a remarkably easy sipper.

Mar 22, 2020
Newbeergeek1 from Maine

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just regular Old Rasputin is one of my all time favorites and this is a great. Great selection to drink to my good health from procedure results today. Kinda pricy but I am worth it. Pours black with a big head, smooth as a baby’s butt especially with a high ABV which is hidden very well. Taste is great. Congrats to North Coast.

Jan 31, 2020
Old Rasputin XXII (Aged in Bourbon Barrels) from North Coast Brewing Co.