Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Quilter's Irish Death | Iron Horse Brewery

Washington, United States
iron-horse-brewery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by RedDiamond on 09-18-2007

Hands down the best beer I have ever had. So damn tasty. If the location I am getting beer at has this I wont even consider anything else. 5/5

this is a great beer paired with spicy beef tacos!

4.93/5  rDev +28.1%

4.86/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I stumbled upon this in the Costco booze section for less than $5 for a dos-dos. I was very pleasantly surprised. Very tasty Dark Ale? It is in its own category. Dark but kinda light, a little malt but still light, sweet, a little hoppy, caramels and did I mention sweet. For the ABV, it' really hides it well. I'd drink this any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Give it a shot, you'll like it.

4.84/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Look: Draft at Iron Horse Brewery. Thin white head, dark brown body.

Smell : See below.

Taste : Chocolate, mild roast, mild nuttiness, and a bit of coconut.

Feel : Medium carbonation and medium-full body. Slightly sweet upfront, dry finish.

4.76/5  rDev +23.6%

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color, with two fingers of oatmeal-colored head that quickly dissolved away into an extremely thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic with lots of earthy, bready, roasted malt, which imparts notes of toasted dark bread, dark molasses and hits of dark chocolate. I also get notes of brown sugar, a hint of clove and cinnamon, and a touch of floral, grassy hops. Very inviting.

Taste: Wow! Very nice, very tasty beer! Lots of toasted and roasted malt up front, followed by some dark molasses and brown sugar-like sweetness, a touch of dark chocolate, a touch of cinnamon and clove, and a touch of smoke. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and very, very smooth, as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 7.8%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a really good, really tasty beer. Malty, roasty, toasty, slightly sweet, slightly savory, and very smooth. Delicious! Recommended!

4.7/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A very dark brown ale. Leaves a lot of tracing on the glass. I got plenty of gold colored head that lasted longer than I expected.

S Decent chocolate and caramel. Not overpowering, but it's there and is good.

T This beer hit the spot for me. Lots of malt, coffee, and caramel in the mix, and a nice sweet touch that kept me coming back for more. Notes of dark fruit in the background. If I didn't know the alcohol content before hand, I'd never have guessed how much was there until after trying to stand up.

M Not too thick (this is an ale, not a stout), but plenty of body. Quite satisfying.

O If there was ever a reason for me to want to live in the Northwest, this beer is it. One of the best comfort ales I have run across. Yum!!

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very smooth, malt heavy ale. Had in 22 oz bottle. Not any extra flavors, just really tasty heavy beer!

4.62/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

Served in a glass.

A: Similar to soda but darker brownish-black. Slight carbonation. Could be mistaken for soda if one didn't smell it first. Pours a very thick head which recedes somewhat quickly.

S: Has a slight or subtle coffee smell to it. Very pleasant to the nose, perhaps even more so than any other beer I've smelled.

T: Excellent! Has subtle coffee and dark chocolate flavors to it. Very pleasing to the palate. The alcohol taste doesn't come through until the end and even then it isn't unpleasant and doesn't come through much (not to a fault though).

M: Somewhat thick feel. Very smooth but not weak.

D: I honestly do not think they could have made a better tasting "dark smooth ale/stout". At 7.8% ABV I would not drink another one for personal reasons but if not for these personal reservations I would & could certainly drink another half bottle. It goes down very easily but not because it is weak or poor.

I tried to be fair & honest (with this my first review) even though this is hands-down my favorite beer. A little pricey where I am at $4.29 a bottle (thanks to Washington's new tax) but it is well worth the price. I would even pay more for this. If one enjoys dark beers this is a must-try. I know that is probably difficult though considering (AFAIK) it is a regional/local beer.
I am not a coffee drinker and never have been but I do enjoy true dark chocolate (such as 90+% cocoa chocolate and raw cacao).

Definitely give this a try if you're in eastern Washington (state)!

Quilter's Irish Death from Iron Horse Brewery