Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Finnegans Irish Amber | Finnegans Inc.

Finnegans Irish AmberFinnegans Irish Amber

Added by Bighuge on 03-27-2002

1.5/5  rDev -54%

1.75/5  rDev -46.3%

2.15/5  rDev -34%

This beer pours a clear, watery, bronze color with amber hues. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes within seconds into almost no lacing. The aroma is has mild caramel tones, and is painfully simple. The taste is more mild, and more simplistic than the aroma. The mouthfeel is light bodied, watery, with annoyingly high carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer that I will not drink again.

2.19/5  rDev -32.8%

Barley, hops, yeast, and potatoes...hmm...cloudy amber color, head is a trace after 40 seconds. Very bready aroma, a little yeasty. Flavor is bordering on tasteless. Pouring this into a pint glass sucks all the life out, carbonation is almost completely released so there is a real sense of wateriness. Balanced in that there isn't a sense of malt or hop. This experimental brew needs to be re-thought. I had the next one out of the bottle, and that does release a slight potato/starch flavor, but its not very pleasant to me.

2.23/5  rDev -31.6%

Bottle that I bought as part of mixed sixer, poured into a pint glass. Brown bottle with parchment colored label that was mounted crookedly. Slogan, "As Irish As It Gets"... curious since it's brewed in St. Paul rather than Ireland.

Bottom of the label tells me that it was brewed by Summit Brewing Company. It also says it's brewed with potatoes.

Apperance: On the very light end of Amber. Just barely darker than your average American lager. Thin head that dissipated quickly and left little lacing.

Smell: light smell of alcohol. Not unpleasant, but not really much too it.

Taste: Barely present. Light aftertaste of french fried potatoes (mmm-hmm french fried pertaters mmm-hmmm). Was that aftertaste influenced by the label? Possibly, but I feel pretty certain the potatoes are making their presence known, though like the rest of the taste it is mild.

Mouthfeel: Thin and fairly fizzy.

Drinkability: I could probably drink a few of these with no problem, but I'm not sure I'd be excited about it. The potato taste might get annoying after a while, but overall it's nothing terribly offensive.

It was an interesting experience if only for the potato taste. I had an IPA brewed in Minnesota (though I believe it was St. Louis Park and not St. Paul) at the beer festival that I thought was great. Unfortunately I forgot the name. I thought this might have been the same brand, but I'm doubting that now as this is pretty flavorless. I would drink it if it was the only thing available, but I won't seek it out again and I'm glad I only got one. A full sixer would have sat around for a while.

2.25/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.44/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

not impressed by this weak beer not very redeeming as others mentioned just a bit above Bud. Still if you are in charitable mood it could be worse barely it's too sweet for me. I say there isn't much Irish red ale about this beer or american red ale like either so I think is way below style wise. the head disappears fast leaving a golden color body. light vague smell of malt. Sweet malt taste. a bit harsh carbonated on the tongue. Overall not great beer experience a bit below average drinkability

2.56/5  rDev -21.5%

12 oz short brown bottle. Lucky 4 leaf clover on the cap.

Claims to be "quite possibly the most socially conscious beer in the world."

Nice malty scent to go with a dark amber color with an off white head. Taste is lovely, sweet malts and a hint of hop bitterness. Please correct me if I'm wrong but is that.... potatoes....that I'm tasting? Heavy carbonation but it works well with the flavor and body. Quite drinkable.

One of my friends all time favorite brew. He swears by this stuff. So naturally I'm only allowed to drink this in his presence. Not a problem I rather enjoy it.

2.6/5  rDev -20.2%

Originally reviewed on September 17, 2005. Poured from a bottle at the Big Lake Brewfest. Dusty malt aroma. Orange gold pour. Bland, dusty malt and earthy maybe potato flavor. Not offensive, not delicious. Finishes with lingering of almonds and light grain fusels.

2.6/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

While I'm certainly glad to have had the opportunity to try this, it really isn't a very good representation of an Irish Red, and in and of itself, it's probably only an average beer at best. Colour was more of a medium gold and not really red at all. Head left a bit to be desired, too. Smell was a bit of sweet malt with a quasi-BMC aroma. In fact, the whole beer was somewhat BMC-esque. Mouthfeel was very thin. Again, I'm always happy to try new things, regardless of the outcome, but this simply wasn't for me.

2.7/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.71/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.73/5  rDev -16.3%

Hyper-active carbonation here, in this clear amber-hued brew, slim head, soon disappearing.

Flat, vegetal nose, bright, but blase'. Not especially pleasing.

In the mouth: hum meets drum. Gone in a quickness, flavor peeps up and disappears. Lightly malty, caramel, then toasty dry, but never too tasty. Potatos seem to occupy a void, but not fill it with anything.

Light bodied, with a null field of a finish, mostly water and echoes of vegetation.

I so want to like this, but is offers little rewards, and does not give any pleasurable flavors at all. Not really worth the drinking.

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Color is a cloudy pale amber with some dark yellowy tones and had a small head when brought to me but faded before I could take any notice, nearly no lacing at all. Smells of breadish malt and light yeast, very clean and fresh. Taste is nothing, there's nothing there but water and a very slight sweetness and has a starchy/creamy sense that doesn't do much. Its just really watery and really bland and boring, I've chewed on paper with more flavor then this. It looked like it might be good, but as it slurps through your mouth like a sip of cold water, well.....

2.78/5  rDev -14.7%

A: The pour is a light amber color with a fluffy off-white head.

S: A pretty light and unimpressive nose overall with some light notes of grain and caramel.

T: Light in flavor as well with a strong adjunct character. Almost like glorified Budweiser, showing plenty of corn and grain.

M: Fitting in with the rest of the beer, the body is quite light and overly carbonated and fzzy.

D: Not a fan of this one at all. This was enough of an experience with this beer.

Finnegans Irish Amber from Finnegans Inc.