Finnegans Irish Amber | Finnegans Inc.

Finnegans Irish AmberFinnegans Irish Amber

Finnegans Inc.
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by Bighuge on 03-27-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 57 | Ratings: 168
3.48/5  rDev +8.4%

Says that it is brewed under contract and bottled at Summit brewery in MN, no date on this 12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A—slightly hazy amber with ½ inch bright white head, reduced to a thin sheet in a few minutes, very little lacing

S—sweet, malty, a touch of hops, not very fragrant

T---smoky and tart, mildly sweet, grains are balanced well, a little acidic, but tasty none the less, the bottle says that it is brewed with potatoes, but they are no tin the taste at all. Reminds me a little of Sam Adam’s Boston Lager.

M—medium bodied, a little too much carbonation, finishes a little dry

D---very drinkable and I am doing just that. I picked up a 6 pack of this to go with my other St. Pat’s choices.

3.19/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a rich amber color with a full creamy head. Head retreats into the glass pretty quickly, leaving minimal lace.

Very little aroma. What I pick up is slightly vegetal.

Very, very dry and crisp. Almost lager like, but a good deal smoother. Slight vegetal note in the taste, but not overpowering. The dryness hits at the back of the palate and stays there. Full and slightly creamy mouthfeel.

A good session beer, I think. Easy to drink. I don't know what the potato adds to the recipe, though I wonder if it's the creamy mouthfeel.

Add on edit: Great ads from their website! Good sense of humor, these lads.

"May the foam rise up to meet you,
May all your dreams come true.
Except that one where Elmer Fudd
Is nude and chasing you."

"Mom, Dad - I'm Gaelic."

"Mentioned in 4 out of 5 Irish confessionals."

3.75/5  rDev +16.8%

Reddish amber color, very light off-white head. Smell is only lightly hopped, with a smooth, milk-like quality that the potatos in the brewing process bring. The potatos also round off the flavor as well, hops are very mild, with this beer going for a non-offensive experience, but doesn't really impress me in any particular way. Above average.

2.23/5  rDev -30.5%

Bottle that I bought as part of mixed sixer, poured into a pint glass. Brown bottle with parchment colored label that was mounted crookedly. Slogan, "As Irish As It Gets"... curious since it's brewed in St. Paul rather than Ireland.

Bottom of the label tells me that it was brewed by Summit Brewing Company. It also says it's brewed with potatoes.

Apperance: On the very light end of Amber. Just barely darker than your average American lager. Thin head that dissipated quickly and left little lacing.

Smell: light smell of alcohol. Not unpleasant, but not really much too it.

Taste: Barely present. Light aftertaste of french fried potatoes (mmm-hmm french fried pertaters mmm-hmmm). Was that aftertaste influenced by the label? Possibly, but I feel pretty certain the potatoes are making their presence known, though like the rest of the taste it is mild.

Mouthfeel: Thin and fairly fizzy.

Drinkability: I could probably drink a few of these with no problem, but I'm not sure I'd be excited about it. The potato taste might get annoying after a while, but overall it's nothing terribly offensive.

It was an interesting experience if only for the potato taste. I had an IPA brewed in Minnesota (though I believe it was St. Louis Park and not St. Paul) at the beer festival that I thought was great. Unfortunately I forgot the name. I thought this might have been the same brand, but I'm doubting that now as this is pretty flavorless. I would drink it if it was the only thing available, but I won't seek it out again and I'm glad I only got one. A full sixer would have sat around for a while.

2.75/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Color is a cloudy pale amber with some dark yellowy tones and had a small head when brought to me but faded before I could take any notice, nearly no lacing at all. Smells of breadish malt and light yeast, very clean and fresh. Taste is nothing, there's nothing there but water and a very slight sweetness and has a starchy/creamy sense that doesn't do much. Its just really watery and really bland and boring, I've chewed on paper with more flavor then this. It looked like it might be good, but as it slurps through your mouth like a sip of cold water, well.....

2.19/5  rDev -31.8%

Barley, hops, yeast, and potatoes...hmm...cloudy amber color, head is a trace after 40 seconds. Very bready aroma, a little yeasty. Flavor is bordering on tasteless. Pouring this into a pint glass sucks all the life out, carbonation is almost completely released so there is a real sense of wateriness. Balanced in that there isn't a sense of malt or hop. This experimental brew needs to be re-thought. I had the next one out of the bottle, and that does release a slight potato/starch flavor, but its not very pleasant to me.

Clear light amber in color. Medium white head that is gone in seconds. A bit of a malty aroma. Some spuds on the nose also. A bit of a soapy taste. Nothing real special to taste. Pretty carbonated. A run of the mill bill. Not horrible though. I've had plenty of Irish ambers and non-Irish ambers that have been better.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Finnegans Irish Amber from Finnegans Inc.