Kloster Kreuzberg Dunkel

Kloster Kreuzberg DunkelKloster Kreuzberg Dunkel
Notes:
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 20 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.95/5  rDev +6.7%

The absolute best beer I ever had the opportunity to have. My portfolio of beers have 687 different beers of all styles. I wish I could get this in the states.

4.42/5  rDev -4.7%

16.60 Euros for the one liter growler and one liter of beer at the Kloster. Reviewed 10/23/18.
Capped bottle marked “Mindestens haltbar bis 24.04.19” on the front label. Pre-filled and stored in a reefer at the Kloster. Stored on my window sill at 51 degrees and consumed at the same temperature from a hand washed and dried glass coffee mug.
Appearance – 4.
Body – Medium amber, clear.
Head – Large (Maximum 4.5 cm, aggressive center pour), off-white, creamy, good retention, diminishing to a three mm ring and complete layer.
Lacing – Very good – Multiple partial rings of tiny bubbles, some connected by columns and some having stalactites.
First pour – Medium amber, hazy.
Aroma – 4.5 - Caramel malt.
Flavor – 4.5 - Less caramel and more malt than the nose. Slightly sweet. No hops, no alcohol (4.9 % ABV), no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
Palate – 4 – Less than medium, creamy, soft carbonation.
Impression and interpretation – 4.5 – An excellent dunkel, possibly the best I’ve ever had! I’d had it vom fass while visiting and attempted to buy one of the fascinating 1 liter growlers as a souvenir – imagine my joy when I found it came filled with beer!

4.85/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My very favorite bier!
I've only drunk this brew at the Monastery. The bier itself is worth a trip. I was stationed about an hour away from there when I was with the 11th Cavalry and I have had many "day-trips" there for great times with friends and for the chance to taste the best (IMHO) products of German Brewmasters.

Stopped at the monastery on the way back from Frankfurt Main Airport, the trip was well worth it and the monk beer was a bonus. Amazingly smooth from what I remember and I even got a growler filled to go for 20€!

4.38/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Visiting my son and daughter-in-law in Germany. We took a day trip to the Kreuzberg monastery for lunch and BEER. Bought a very cool growler to bring home (filled with beer of course).
The monastery sits on top of a mountain and has beautiful views.

One of the smoothest, drinkable beers in Germany.
Great aftertaste.

4.38/5  rDev -5.6%

Kreuzberg Monastery is not well known by most Americans in Germany anymore since the US Army training area nearby was closed in the late 90's. But the locals in Hessen and Bavaria know it well and come in droves to enjoy the Dunkel at all times of the year. I had the privilege of being led there by a friend and it is truly worth the trip.

This lager is phenomenal fresh, and right from the tap served in a large stoneware stein. I bought the 1L (no sense driving all the way up there to be a pansy and buy the 1/2L!). When you go up there, have a DD...you'll need it, because you will not want to stop drinking.

A: Difficult to note color and clarity in the stoneware mug but it looked amber hued. What is really noticeable right off is the beautiful fluffy head. It did not last long but left plenty of off-white lattice on the inside of the stein.

S: We drank our liquid bread outside, standing at a table that encircled a large space heater. The ambient temperature was about 28 degrees, so the beer stayed quite cold, and did not allow for much of the beer's character to emanate. Faint floral notes. Another 10-15 degrees warmer and more would have come out no doubt.

T: Amazing. Well-hopped bitterness with just a touch of sweetness lingering after the swallow. This beer hits highs with a refreshing bite that balances nicely with the malt complexity that can only be found in this style. Although, I only have experienced a few examples of the style to compare it to, this is the best Munich Dunkel Lager I have ever had.

M: Tight carbonation lends itself to a creamy, dreamy feel as she goes down smooth. Exceptional.

D: A nice session fave that is too easy to gulp down. 2L went quickly and I bought another 2L in a growler to share with some lucky beneficiaries back home. I need to live closer to the monastery...

3.5/5  rDev -24.6%

A buddy of mine got this for me in a growler from the source. This brew pours with a beautiful amount of light tan foam. The body is a bit hazy and is copper in color.

Aromas are a little weak; there is just some faint sweet cereal grain.

The taste is light and very well balanced. There is a slight breadlines and a hint of cooked vegetable in the end.

This altogether smooth and very thirst quenching, definitely not complex at all and makes for a great session beer.

Apparently this was voted Playboy's favorite beer or brewery in 1987, so it's got some appreciation. It is noted beer drinker's taste has drastically changed in the last 21 years, but I'd really like to try some of the other brews available from this monastery.

Kloster Kreuzberg Dunkel from Kloster Kreuzberg